3.1 Role of the Faculty Member
The faculty at UNG is committed to the tripartite mission of teaching, scholarship and service. UNG expects faculty members to develop each of these three areas in the regular course of their professional lives.
Each faculty member is responsible for the quality and content of instruction in the classroom. The instructor should at all times strive to promote the general purposes of the University and to achieve the objectives of the College.
The following objectives and considerations should guide the faculty:
- Provide the highest quality classroom instruction toward the attainment of the goals of the University, the College, the Department, and the courses.
- Combine scholarship and research in the faculty member's major field of interest and incorporate the latest research, knowledge, and theory in classroom instruction.
- Seek new and better devices, techniques, online technologies, procedures, and methods that may improve the teaching and learning process.
- Recognize individual needs of students and provide challenging learning opportunities for all learners.
- Recognize and provide academic and career guidance and encouragement through formal and informal conferences with students in order to supplement and improve the regular classroom instruction.
- Develop efficient and equitable procedures for the evaluation of student academic performance and assign grades that reflect the achievement and progress of students enrolled in the courses. Provide timely and appropriate feedback to students.
Scholarship and Creative Activities:
Faculty members are expected to remain active in their fields of study or artistic/creative practices through research, creative output, and other professional activities as described by their Department and/or College.
Faculty members are expected to use their expertise and professional experience to serve their departments, their colleges, the university, the community, and their professions through service activities.
Together, these three pursuits—teaching, scholarship, and service—comprise the role of the faculty member at UNG.
Recognize and provide academic and career guidance and encouragement through formal and informal conferences with students in order to supplement and improve the regular classroom instruction.