Back to Top
Skip to Site Search Skip to Utility Nav Skip to Top Nav Skip to Left Nav Skip to Content
Close Main Menu

7.1 Annual Evaluation

Download the Faculty Annual Report Form from myUNG [login required]

I. GENERAL

The evaluation and development of faculty members honors excellence in teaching, service, and professional growth and development/scholarship/academic achievement. As part of the annual review process, the supervisor's evaluation and development plans (if necessary) should be specific and meaningful. The faculty member's departmental supervisor (or equivalent) is responsible for providing the faculty member's annual evaluation with input from academic administrators on the faculty member's home campus.

II. PROCEDURE

A. FACULTY

  1. In January or February of each year, every teaching faculty member will be evaluated by the departmental supervisor (or equivalent), with input from the academic administrator on the faculty member's home campus if appropriate. The supervisor will document multiple sources of input, to include student input, that are used in preparing the evaluation. The evaluation should be documented on the appropriate UNG faculty evaluation form. The departmental supervisor, home campus academic administrator when appropriate, and the faculty member will meet in person to discuss the evaluation, review any required development activities, and sign the form. The faculty member should be given a copy of the completed form. The original completed form should be stored in the dean's office.
  2. The overall rating on the evaluation is based on a weighted average of the three evaluation factors (teaching, service, and professional growth and development/scholarship/academic achievement). Teaching is weighted 60% and the other two factors are weighted a total of 40%. Each year the faculty member and departmental supervisor will agree upon the distribution between service and professional growth and development/scholarship/academic achievement by establishing a percentage of 10% to 30% for each.
  3. Faculty members and departmental supervisors may arrange interim meetings throughout the year to review performance and progress toward the achievement of development goals, and/or make revisions to development plans and strategies.

B. DEPARTMENT HEADS/COORDINATORS

  1. In February or March, each department head/coordinator will be evaluated by the academic dean. The evaluation will document multiple sources of input, to include faculty input, that are used in preparing the evaluation. The evaluation should be documented on the appropriate UNG faculty evaluation form. In cases where the department head/coordinator is not located on the same campus as the dean, then the dean will solicit input from the academic administrator on the faculty member's home campus.  The dean and the department head/coordinator will discuss the evaluation, review required development plans, and sign the form. The department head/coordinator should be given a copy of the completed form. The original completed form should be stored in the dean's office.
  2. Department heads/coordinators and academic dean may arrange interim meetings throughout the year to review performance and progress toward the achievement of development goals, and/or make revisions to development plans and strategies.

C. ACADEMIC DEANS

  1. In April or May following the initial appointment/hire date, the academic dean will be evaluated by the senior vice president for academic affairs (SVPAA) and provost. The evaluation will document multiple sources of input, to include college academic administrators and faculty, that are used in preparing the evaluation. The evaluation should be documented using a standard evaluation format. (In subsequent years, the evaluation will be on a bi-annual basis.)  The VPAA and the dean will discuss the evaluation, review any required development plans, and sign the evaluation. The dean should be given a copy of the completed evaluation. The original completed form should be stored in the SVPAA's office.
  2. Deans and/or the SVPAA may arrange interim meetings throughout the year to review performance and progress toward the achievement of development goals, and/or make revisions to development plans and strategies.

III. RELATIONSHIP TO PROMOTION, TENURE, AND MERIT PAY

Performance evaluations will be used as one form of evidence in making promotion, tenure, and merit recommendations in accordance with Board of Regents and UNG  policies and procedures.

 

UNG follows Section 508 Standards and WCAG 2.0 for web accessibility. If you require the content on this web page in another format, please contact the ADA Coordinator.

Back to Top