Dahlonega Campus Commencement - Memorial Hall Gymnasium
Saturday, December 17, 2016
All graduate-degree candidates from all campuses, and Dahlonega and Cumming-based bachelor's-degree candidates.
1 p.m. - College of Health Sciences & Professions, College of Science & Mathematics, Mike Cottrell College of Business
4 p.m. - College of Arts & Letters, College of Education, University College
Fall Graduate Event
- Students whose home campus is Dahlonega or Cumming and all graduate students should participate in the ceremonies on the Dahlonega Campus. All undergraduate students whose home campus is Gainesville or Oconee and all associate students should participate in the ceremonies on the Gainesville Campus.
- Saturday, December 17 Ceremonies - All candidates must report to the check-in table outside of Newton Oakes Center (000 and 100 levels) closest to the back parking lot forty-five minutes prior to the scheduled time for their commencement ceremony. Students will line up by degree and be sure to have their name cards. Ushers will be available to help with seating and guiding graduates to and from the stage. There will be no commencement rehearsal.
- A card, which you will fill out, will be provided to you when you pick up your tickets. YOU MUST bring this card with you to your Commencement Ceremony on December 17. It will be used to announce your name as you walk across the stage.
- Undergraduate honor students wear their hoods throughout the ceremony. The mortarboard hat should be worn centered on top of the head with the tassel to the right.
- Appropriate attire for men includes a dress shirt with tie and dark shoes. Women should wear dresses that do not show above the collar or below the hem of the gown and dark shoes. Only academic awards should be attached to the outside of the gown.
- The photographer will be off the stage to the right of the President. Please pause when receiving the certificate for a photograph.
- Students should check to be sure that cell phones are turned off during the ceremony.
- All fees, fines, and other debts to the university must be paid at least three working days prior to commencement or the diploma will be withheld and transcripts will not be mailed.
- Students who arrive late will be placed at the end of the graduation line. Students are encouraged to avoid this possible embarrassment by arriving on time. If you arrive in Dunlap Hall/Oates Center after roll is taken for your degree, you MUST notify the faculty marshal for your school. Failure to do so will result in your name not being called during the ceremony.
A group ceremony to commission new Second Lieutenants will be conducted at the commencement ceremony of the degree-granting school. In addition, individual commissioning ceremonies will be held at a specified time for each commencement. The Office of the Professor of Military Science will disseminate the individual commissioning dates and times to each Cadet scheduled to be commissioned. A reception will be held simultaneously with the individual commissioning ceremonies in the Military Leadership Center Conference Room.
Graduate students should not wear their hoods for the processional but should drape them neatly over the right arm as they enter the Memorial Hall arena. Graduate students will be hooded individually on stage immediately prior to receiving their certificates.
- Tickets will be required by guests to attend all ceremonies.
Graduation candidates who met the graduation application deadline will each receive 8 tickets in their packet for their guests.
- Tickets must be picked up with caps and gowns at the University Bookstore during the week before graduation (December 12 - December 16 by noon).
- Students must present photo ID’s in order to claim their tickets.
- Students may only pick up their own tickets, and will not be allowed to pick up tickets for other students.
- For those who do not need all of their tickets, we will be collecting unused tickets at the main entrance to Memorial Hall as people arrive to the ceremony. These tickets will be available on a first come, first served basis an hour before the start of the ceremony.
- If you applied for graduation after the application deadline you will not be guaranteed tickets for your guests. You may try to get unused or extra tickets (if available) from the ushers at the venue one hour before the ceremony begins. Again, these tickets are first come, first served basis until depleted.
- If there are no unused tickets and when all tickets have been distributed, all remaining guest without a ticket will be sent to the overflow room to watch the live stream of the ceremony. In addition, guests with tickets who arrive more than 15 minutes after the start of the ceremony will not be allowed in the venue and will be sent to the overflow room.
- A card, which you will fill out, will be provided in the envelope with your tickets. YOU MUST bring this card with you to your Commencement Ceremony on December 17. It will be used to announce your name as you walk across the stage.
Parking for the ceremonies will be in Lot #16, Lot #19, and the Church Street Parking Deck. There will be directional signs and officers present to assist.
Accessible parking signs will be posted in parking lot #17 and Lot#18 and officers present to assist with parking.