Graduation regalia include the cap and gown, as well as other distinguishing hoods, stoles, and cords that denote traditions of academic achievement. Only those who have achieved an academic honor or are members of an academic honors society are entitled to wear the special regalia.
For those graduates who miss the October 14th, 2016. deadline for ordering graduation regalia, the bookstore at the Dahlonega and Gainesville locations will have what you need for purchase two weeks prior to graduation. Gowns, caps, tassels and hoods (masters, specialist and honor) will be available to purchase separately. Students are strongly encouraged to purchase the regalia online since buying open stock will cost more.
Academic regalia will be sold as open stock in the bookstore at a higher price if not ordered by the Bookstore's published deadline. Open stock will be available in the store two weeks before graduation.
Caps and Gowns
- Caps and gowns are ordered through the Bookstore. See their special page on Graduation for deadlines and more information.
- Graduate students are hooded during the commencement ceremony.
- The graduate hoods are a part of the cap and gown order from the Bookstore
- The color of the hood corresponds to the student’s school and major.
- Honor hoods for baccalaureate candidates will be available for purchase at the Bookstore approximately one week before commencement. Honor hoods are not the same as honor stoles. If you anticipate that you will be eligible for honors at the time of degree completion, you may purchase an honors hood to wear during the ceremony. Please call (706) 864-1635 for information on honor hoods. Please be aware that official academic honors are calculated after grades are finalized and are included on students' diplomas. Since commencement programs are printed prior to the end of the current term, honors listed in the programs and recognized during the graduation ceremony are based on grade point averages of the previous term.
- Honor stoles are available for students graduating at the baccalaureate or higher level who are eligible for honors. They are not required; however, they do denote the honors and are a keepsake. Honor stoles are white with the University of North Georgia’s seal embroidered on them.
- They may be worn by students who are members of UNG honor societies and/or are graduating with the following honors: cum laude (GPA at least 3.5), magna cum laude (GPA at least 3.7), or summa cum laude (GPA at least 3.9).
- Membership in an honor society includes the discipline-specific honor societies, as well as a few university-wide ones.
- Honor Stoles are NOT the same as hoods for academic honors that are made available through the University Bookstore.
- If you are eligible and want to order an honor stole, download and complete the order form and return it to Suzanne McCarter in 348 Hansford Hall with your check or money order made payable to Omicron Delta Kappa (cash is not accepted) by Wednesday, November 9, 2016. Please direct questions regarding honor stoles to Suzanne McCarter at (706) 864-1904.
Honor Society Cords
- Students who are members of an academic honor society may wear honor society cords over graduation regalia.
- These honor cords, if available, are ordered through the honor society’s advisor.