CGE Emergency Response Protocols
Emergency response protocols for both education abroad and international students and scholars are found on this page. It is advisable to dial 911, or the in-country equivalent, in the event of an emergency, ensure that all parties are safe, and then follow the emergency response protocols by contacting the appropriate parties.
Please use the Incident Report to document any necessary occurrences while participating in a Study Abroad program.
Please review the Natural and Political Incident Response Procedures for information on response protocol and safety procedures during a natural disaster or political unrest incident.
Study Abroad Emergency Response Protocol
When notified of an emergency related to the health and safety of a study abroad student, the following protocol should immediately be followed:
- Identify nature of emergency – respond to student health and safety concerns first, then contact the Center for Global Engagement (CGE) administrator on call.
- When calling CGE administrator, please have the following information on hand as well as a pen and paper.
- Nature of emergency—how many students impacted and how
- Description of events, accidents or injuries and response provided—include approximate time and date of incident, as well as any actions you have taken.
- Have you consulted the incident response section of your program director’s manual? Please file incident report as soon as possible and safe.
- Has anyone been notified outside of UNG (embassy, insurance provider, parents, spouses, etc.)?
- Provide a phone number where you (as director) can be reached if UNG needs to contact you.)
- Can the student continue (and does he/she wish to continue) with classes?
- Can you return (with the group) to your accommodations safely?
- Does the group need to return to the US, or can the course be completed as scheduled for non-impacted students?
- Please continue to provide periodic (as determined necessary in initial call to CGE) updates on situation to CGE.
- The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a factor when speaking to or about any student in our care. Remember to keep all identifiable information completely confidential.
International Students & Scholars
When notified of an emergency related to the health and safety of an international student or scholar, the following protocol should immediately be followed:
- Assess the immediate medical or safety needs of the student. Ensure that the student is safe and health needs are addressed prior to following the remainder of the protocol.
- It is best practice to call 911, then UNG Public Safety (706-864-1500) in the case of a medical crisis or accident.
- DO NOT sign anything on behalf of the student.
- Advise student to cooperate with authorities, if applicable, and to request an attorney if he/she desires.
- Gather as much information as possible such as names, contact information, location, etc.
- Contact CGE director, associate director (AD), international student & scholar advisor, and the Office of Student Affairs (Dean of Students) to inform them of the situation.
- Director will update the senior vice president for Leadership and Global Engagement and vice president for Student Affairs as soon as relevant information is available.
- Any time communication with any party is received, copy the CGE director and AD on e-mails or summarize basis of conversation in an e-mail to provide adequate documentation of all action related to the matter.
- FERPA is a factor when speaking to or about any student in our care. Remember to keep all identifiable information completely confidential.
- Please fill out an official incident report as soon as feasible.
Emergency Contact Phone Numbers
Should you experience an emergency while overseas, please contact one of the following Center for Global Engagement office staff members and/or the other contacts as soon as possible. In most cases, when dialing from overseas, you will first dial 00 + 1 area code + number. After hours, please dial (706) 867-2858, the CGE main line. Your call will be rolled over to the on-call administrator.
Dr. John Wilson
Director of CGE
Office Phone: (706) 867-2844
Cell Phone: (706) 271-7100
Dr. Carly Womack Wynne
Associate Director of CGE – Gainesville Campus
Office Phone: (678) 717-3687
Cell Phone: (229) 349-0303
International Students & Scholars
Office of Dean of Students Contacts
Ms. Alyson Paul
Dean of Students—Dahlonega Campus
Office Phone: (706) 864-1900
Dr. Cara Ray—Gainesville Campus
Office Phone: (678) 717-3877
Dr. Michelle Brown—Oconee Campus
Office Phone: (706) 310-6201
UNG Public Safety