International Scholars To-Do-List
Please read the following information to help prepare to bring an international scholar to UNG:
Funds: Current cost for a scholar to stay for one summer session of six weeks is approximately $1300
Transportation: Use university vehicles, when possible, to transport visitors to/from the airport. For information of vehicles available, visit Auxiliary Enterprises transportation webpage. You'll also want to review the Vehicle Rental Policy.
Local transportation: Scholars will need assistance getting around town, going grocery shopping, visiting the outlet mall, attending cultural events, etc. The sponsoring unit/contact person is responsible for providing local transportation. You should plan to assist with the following:
- Scheduling rides
- Regular trips to Wal-mart
- If the sponsoring unit provides communal transportation (ie shared bicycles)
- Who will be responsible for the maintenance/upkeep?
- How will the vehicles be accessible? (checked-out/turned-in)
- Where will vehicles be stored?
ID cards/meal plans: A request for ID cards should be sent to the UNG Card Office. Contact the UNG Card Office to find out what information is needed.
Paying Scholars: Due to regulations on different visa types and nature of scholar's position, the sponsoring units should work very closely with the Academic Affairs office, Human Resources and CGE to ensure all necessary paperwork and documentation has been initiated, processed and completed. This process must be finalized at least twenty-one days BEFORE the international scholars arrival.
Cultural Activities: You should consider events/excursions that will show scholars more about UNG and the surrounding communities. Suggestions include:
- Visiting all the campuses
- Attending campus events
- Attending community events
- Trip to Atlanta (World of Coke, CNN center, MLK Center, etc)
The sponsoring unit/contact person will responsible for organizing events/excursions and should consider what amount of money will be provided for events and out of what account. CGE will provide (with advance request):
- Welcome gift bags for scholars which will be given to the contact person before scholars’ arrival. (These can then be given to scholars at the airport, be present in their rooms when they arrive, etc.)
- A welcome or farewell reception/meal through Aramark, up to $1,000.