International Internship Program
MissionThe International Internship Program (IIP) identifies, cultivates, and promotes high-quality international internship opportunities that advance the professional training of University of North Georgia undergraduate students, fosters global competency, and reinforces academic learning through practical application.
- To provide students with resources and support for finding an international internship or service opportunity
- To provide students with information and resources on available funding sources for international internships
- To provide information and share expertise to ensure an experience that is educational and rewarding, including keeping students apprised of safety and health issues
- To provide a structure to share experiences with students with similar interests before, during, and after going abroad
- To provide opportunities for students to reflect and evaluate the impact of being abroad, personally and in relation to their future goals to maximize their total experience
Benefits of an International Internship
A recent survey by the AAC&U found that 96% of employers value problem solving in diverse settings and 83% value teamwork skills in diverse groups when hiring recent college graduates. Through the IIP, UNG students can gain practical work experience in a cross-cultural setting to gain these critical competencies. The IIP has supported over 100 students to intern in over 9 countries worldwide with institutions such as the NATO Defense College in Italy, the NATO School in Germany, US Army European Command in Stuttgart Germany, Asia Pacific Center for Strategic Studies, French Ministry of Finance, CRCC-Asia, International Missions Board, George C. Marshall European Center for Security Studies, and many more. UNG Interns can also conduct research at foreign universities or work in non-profit or service-learning settings.
IIP is open to all UNG undergraduate students and Cadets who want to gain a global perspective in their fields. Internships must be full-time and related to a student's major or minor. Internships can take place during the fall, spring, or summer.
Benefits of interning abroad can include:
- Preparation for succeeding in a global economy
- Cross-cultural exposure through living and working in an international location
- Improved foreign language ability
- Enhanced employability upon graduation
- Development of social, personal, interpersonal, and lifelong learning skills
- Expansion of one's professional network across the globe
- Participating in projects not necessarily available in the US