It is important for international students to remember that they must notify their international student/scholar advisor before changing campuses at UNG. If your campus location changes, you must obtain a new I-20.
Make an appointment with your international student/scholar advisor and bring your completed Change of Campus Form in order to update your I-20 and have your SEVIS record moved to the appropriate campus.
It is important to remember that what is in your BANNER account should reflect what is on your I-20. If you change majors with the Registrar's office, you should also complete the following steps to update your I-20. You have 10 days from when your request to change majors is approved in BANNER to obtain your new I-20.
- Make an appointment with your academic advisor and work with him/her to complete the Change of Major form.
- Make an appointment with your international student advisor. Bring your completed Change of Major form so that your I-20 can be updated.
Many students do not complete their program by their anticipated graduation date or program end date. In order to remain in status, if you are not transitioning degrees, you must extend your program prior to the program end date listed on your current I-20.
Extensions will not be given to students that are making less than a 2.0 cumulative GPA at the time of application, since failure to maintain a 2.0 GPA suggests that the student is not making "Normal Progress" in his/her studies.
In order to extend your program, make an appointment with your international student advisor. You will need to bring the following documents with you to the appointment:
- Completed program of study showing your anticipated graduation date
- Completed Extension of Program Form with your academic advisor's signature
F-1 students are admitted to the United States to complete a specific educational program. If a student decides to pursue a subsequent program at the same school, the student must comply with regulations and procedures to remain in status when continuing from one education level to another.
You must complete the process to obtain a new I-20 in order to maintain your F-1 status if you are transitioning or completing a degree to begin a new one. You obtain a new I-20 by contact your international student/scholar advisor and completing the necessary steps.
- If you are transitioning from one degree to a higher degree level (for example, from an Associate's degree to a Bachelor's degree), you must obtain a new I-20 before the end of the prior program.
- If you are transitioning from a Language Training program to a Bachelor's degree program, you must obtain a new I-20 before the end of the initial program completion date.
- If you are completing one degree at one level (example: graduating with a Bachelor's degree) and pursuing another degree at a different level (example: Master's degree), you have 60 days from your program completion date to obtain your new I-20. Enrollment in your new program must begin at the start of the next semester.
- If you are completing degree requirements and beginning a new degree at the same education level (example: dual Bachelor's degrees), you must obtain a new I-20 for your second program within 60 days of your current program completion date.
What are the steps to transition degrees?
- Apply for a degree transition by completing the Transition form in Banner Web (my.ung.edu > Banner Web > Student menu > Transition - Change Degree (Level), Major, Minor, and/or Home Campus > follow the prompts). You will receive an email notification from the Registrar if your transition request is approved.
- Once you have been approved by the Registrar for a transition, you will need to make an appointment with your international student/scholar advisor and bring the following documents:
- Proof from the Registrar that your transition has been approved or proof of admission (specifically stating the semester & year you will begin) if you are beginning a new degree program after completion of previous program
- Proof of financial support (Proof of financial support can be demonstrated with an original bank statement or letter from the bank. Your advisor cannot accept anything printed from an online bank account. If you have questions about what can be accepted, contact your international student advisor.)
- Financial Affidavit (The amount of financial support that you will need to prove varies by degree and can be found in the financial affidavit.)
If you wish to transfer to another institution, you must complete the appropriate steps in order to ensure your SEVIS record is transferred properly.
If you are planning to transfer out, please make an appointment with your international student/scholar advisor and bring the following documents with you:
- A copy of the letter of acceptance to your new institution
- The completed Request to Transfer Out of UNG form