Non-Traditional Student Admission Requirements and Application Procedures
These requirements and instructions apply to if you graduated (or would have graduated) from high school five or more years from the start of your intended semester of enrollment, and you have fewer than 30 transferable semester hours of college credit complete. If you have 30 or more transferable semester hours, you should apply for admission as a transfer student. Meeting minimum requirements does not guarantee acceptance.
- You must be a graduate of a regionally accredited high school OR have completed your General Educational Diploma (GED).
- If admitted, you may be required to take the COMPASS exam, unless you took the SAT or ACT within seven years of the start of your intended semester of enrollment, and you scored at least 500 in the critical reading and math components on the old SAT, or at least a 27 Reading and 530 math on the new redesigned SAT, or 21 on the English and math components of the ACT. Also, COMPASS English and reading may be exempted if you earned a grade of C and received UNG credit for a college English course equivalent to UNG's ENGL 1101 or ENGL 1102, and COMPASS math may be exempted for a transferable Area A math course.
- Applicants applying to Bachelor's degree programs must have a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA in all transferable college coursework. If your GPA is below 3.0, you must also have completed an English course equivalent to UNG ENGL 1101 and an Area A math course.
- Have a clear disciplinary, conduct and background record.
Applying to UNG
- Step 1 Application and Application Fee
- Step 2 Official high school Transcripts
- Step 3 Official College Transcripts
- Step 4 Verification of Lawful Presence in the U.S.
- Step 5 Application Review
Send documents to:
82 College Circle
Dahlonega, GA 30597
Some bachelor's degree programs have additional requirements that you must complete before you can enroll in that major. Examples include Teacher Education, Athletic Training, Exercise Science, and Nursing. Please contact the academic department of your desired major to determine whether there are additional requirements. Admission to UNG doesn't guarantee you admission to a specific major.
Transfer Course Credit
Transfer credit is usually awarded for courses that are designed to be part of an associate or bachelor's degree program and are completed with satisfactory grades in regionally accredited colleges. Such courses must generally correspond to the length, time and content of those offered in the curricula at the University of North Georgia.
For questions regarding whether transfer credit will be accepted, please refer to our course transfer equivalencies web page. Please note that this is not a complete list because it only includes courses that have transferred to the University of North Georgia in the past. If you still have questions after reviewing this page, please contact one of the admissions offices in the section below.
Note that you are required to earn a grade of "C" or better in English 1101 and 1102 (or equivalents) in order for these courses to transfer. Other courses earned at accredited institutions may transfer with grades of "D", to the extent that the grades on all credits accepted for transfer average at least 2.0. All "D" grades in core curriculum courses taken within the University System of Georgia are transferable, with the exception of English 1101 and 1102.