Fall semester at the University of North Georgia (UNG) kicks off the morning of Monday, Aug. 17, and the first few weeks are packed with events to welcome students and get them acclimated and excited about the new school year.
Known as Weeks of Welcome, the span includes various events on every campus such as convocations, social gatherings, outdoor activities, lunches and dinners, entertainment and shows, plus much more.
All welcome events help new and returning students learn what the university community offers, introduce students to school clubs and organizations, and meet other students. Listed below are just a few of the many events each campus will hold during the first few weeks:
Blue Ridge Campus:
- Aug. 13 – Campus Opening
- Aug. 20 – Pizza with the President, noon to 1 p.m., pavilion
- Aug. 15 – Freshman Jamboree, 1 to 3 p.m., Memorial Hall Lawn
- Aug. 16 – Student Convocation, 7 p.m., Memorial Hall Gym
- Aug. 20 – Downtown Dahlonega Student Open House, 5 to 7 p.m., Town Square
- Aug. 22 – First Saturday of Service, noon to 4 p.m., meet at Hoag Patio
- Aug. 17 – Student Convocation, noon, Hugh Mills Physical Education Complex
- Aug. 20 – Donuts with the Deans, 7:30 to 9 a.m., Student Center Patio
- Aug. 25 – Women's Welcome Reception, noon to 1 p.m., Robinson Ballroom
- Aug. 26 – Nighthawks Fest, noon to 1 p.m. and 5 to 6 p.m., Student Center Quad
- Aug. 17, 18 – Weeks of Welcome Info Tent, 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., Quad
- Aug. 19 – Convocation Cookout, 11:50 a.m. to 1 p.m., Quad
- Aug. 20 – Intramural Field Day, 1 to 3 p.m., Quad
- Aug. 24 – Nighthawks Flock Party, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., room 522
New cadets will participate in Freshmen Orientation Group training, also known as FROG Week, beginning Aug. 10. Commonly called FROGs, the new cadets spend six days the week before the semester begins learning about UNG, the Boar's Head Brigade and military life. FROG Week culminates on Aug. 15 with the traditional Crown Mountain Run and FROG Week graduation.
Students should check with their campus' Office of Student Involvement or Student Activity Board, and the http://calender.ung.edu website to stay connected with upcoming events on all four campuses. Various departments also may hold orientation events for students, and student organizations also will be holding meetings and other events.