Records Management and Archives
Some offices have a separately approved schedule for destroying records. This message does not apply to those offices.
Every office should be destroying some records every year.
AS A REMINDER, the process is as follows:
- Using the University System of Georgia Records Series Index (Records Retention Schedules) determine which records should be destroyed. Please refer to the revised schedule.
- Complete the UNG Certificate of Records Destruction Form. The RRSI Category Number will come from the USG Retention Site.
- Send the completed UNG Certificate of Records Destruction Form to me (Risk Management/Compliance) for my approval to proceed with the records destruction. Sign the “Records Officer” line only.
- I will return the approved form to you. I will sign the “Approving Official” line and send the form back to you.
- You may then destroy the records. Sign the UNG Certificate of Records Destruction Form (the “Records Destroyed By” line) confirming that the records have been destroyed. Return the form to me (Risk Management/Compliance) so that I may keep the original form.
If you need to destroy large quantities of documents, Document Destruction Services, INC. is one company that many offices on campus choose to use. http://www.ddsga.com/
There is no central location for document destruction on campus.
For further assistance go to Records Management & Archives FAQ http://www.usg.edu/records_management/faq.
Failure to follow these procedures could result in significant legal problems for the university. Please be sure you keep your records destruction process up to date.