Creating a Reusable Content Block
A reusable content block is great for shared content that may exist on more than one page. This enables you to edit content in one place and have it update in many places, whether the pages be in your own site, or in another department's site.
You will learn how to create a new reusable content block.
No Duplicate Content!
As soon as you duplicate content, whether it be your own, or from another site, you suddenly run the risk of information in one location being updated and another not. Use reusable content blocks to prevent this!
Create a new basic or reusable block (Inline Metadata):
- In the left panel click on the “_blocks/manual” folder. (All blocks are stored here. You may also add additional folders in this section to organize your blocks.)
- On the blue menu bar above, click “New.”
- From the popup, mouse over “Blocks” and choose “Reusable Content.”
- Title: Content name. (This becomes the filename and is converted to all lowercase with hyphens.)
- Description: (optional) This will only be visible by anyone who can edit this block and does not show up on the web page. Use it to make notes about this block as a reminder to yourself and other editors.
Set up header and content:
- Header: (optional) Enter the heading (this gets wrapped in an H2 tag).
- Content: Add your content in the WYSIWYG area. (You can have text, data tables, images, etc.)
Send to Workflow
- Click “Send to Workflow."
- At the Spell Check screen, click "Submit."
- At the "Start Workflow" screen, tell us what you did in the "Comments" box. This helps us tremendously in the approval process.
- Click "Submit."
Note: Remember that you cannot add your new block to a page until it has been sent to workflow and approved.
- Access to either the training web site or as a web editor to your site.
- Cascade: Basic I training