How to edit an existing web page
- Website content owner has identified you as a web content editor to the webteam
- Faculty/Staff Network ID - obtain from Division of Information Technology
Navigating to the Page to Edit
- Log in to your website.
- In the left panel click on the page you need to edit.
- In the right panel click on the “Edit” tab.
Edit the Inline Metadata
The inline Metadata includes the web page title, keywords, description, and breadcrumbs
- Title: Place your cursor in the title field and update the content. All web pages must have a unique title. Titles should be short, descriptive and around 70 characters long. Titles are displayed in the browser tab and could be displayed in the breadcrumb on the webpage.
- Keywords: Place your cursor in the keywords field and update as needed. Choose three or four keywords unique to the web page you are working on. Include department name and UNG at the end of the list.
- Description: Place your cursor in the description field and update as needed. Think of this as your advertisement for this web page. This is used in search engine results pages, keep the description around 150-160 characters.
- Breadcrumb: Place your cursor in the breadcrumb field and update as needed. If you leave this field empty, the title content is used in the breadcrumb on your webpage. If you don’t want the title content to be used this is where you can change it.
Edit the Header
- Place your cursor in the Header field and update as needed. Your heading should accurately describe what’s on your web page and should contain a couple of your keywords.
- Header content is required, but you may choose if the header should be displayed by selecting the “yes” or “no” option.
- The header content will use the Heading 1 (h1 tag) format. It should be the only h1 tag used on the page. The h1 tag is used by assistive technology, such as a screen reader used by a user with a vision disability; and lets the user know that this is the top of the web page.
Edit Content in the Cascade Editor
The Cascade editor is very similar to a word processor. It is also known as the 'What You See Is What You Get' (WYSIWYG) editor.
- Change a heading – Select the heading ‘What is Cascade’ and click on the Format drop-down and change to an H2. Headings are used to structure your content. Please do not use headings to style your content. Don’t skip headings. Remember the Main Content Header is always the H1, so the next header to use on your page would be an H2, then an H3, then an H4.
- Remove the bold style. Select the 'A Content Management System' text that is bold and then click the ‘B’ icon in the toolbar.
- Make text all caps. Select the 'Banner web' text located at the beginning of the second paragraph. Go to the Styles drop down and select the ‘ALL-CAPS’ style.You should never type text in all caps because it can cause issues with screen reader technologies. Select the text that you want to be all caps, click on the Styles drop-down box and select the 'ALL-CAPS' style.
Once all edits and updates have been made, select 'Send to Workflow' or 'Update Draft'