Accessible Multimedia Guidelines
Include accessibility during the creation of your multimedia project. If you are purchasing video creation services, check with IT and Purchasing on meeting ADA compliance.
To have your video approved for uploading to our Cascade server, please follow these guidelines:
- Audio only - such as podcast or audio lecture. Provide a text transcript of the spoken word, preferably in an accessible HTML format, but another accessible format such as MS Word is okay.
- Video only - provide a description of the key visual elements required for comprehending what's taking place in the video.
- Video and audio - include synchronized closed captions, text transcript, and video description (the text transcript and video description may be one document).
- Transcripts should be created in an accessible HTML format within your website.
- If you have the transcript text and need assistance creating the HTML webpage within your website, contact email@example.com.
- Important: If you will be creating the closed captioning content for your videos, you should follow the Described and Captioned Media Program (DCMP) guidelines. If you need further assistance w/this task you should contact the University of North Georgia ADA Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Don't allow auto play
- No flashing content
The audio/video player must be accessible
- Have an option to turn audio/video on or off
- Pause and stop buttons must be keyboard accessible.
- General player controls need to be screen reader accessible.