Back to Top
Skip to Site Search Skip to Utility Nav Skip to Top Nav Skip to Left Nav Skip to Content
Close Main Menu

Employment FAQs for Hiring Students

1. Why do I need to post my student assistant position on the UNG Job Board?

The University System of Georgia has recommended that all on-campus positions be posted in one central location on campus, preferably in Career Services. Career Services at UNG has the technology in place to accommodate this recommendation.

This centralized posting system will allow students to be aware of all student assistant positions available to them, rather than them wandering from office to office in search of on-campus employment. These students will gain real-world job search skills by being required to fill out an application and interview with hiring departments for positions. Hiring departments will be able to select students who they feel will be the best fit for their offices.

Financial Aid will post the Federal Work Study (FWS) positions in the UNG Job Board. Students who are FWS-eligible will then be able access positions and apply/interview for those of interest.

2. How do I post a Student Assistant (non-FWS) position on the UNG Job Board?

Step-by-step instructions are listed on the “Employment!” section of Career Services website:

3. Do I need to post my Federal Work Study positions on the UNG Job Board as well?
No, once you have requested and been approved for FWS positions, the Office of Financial Aid will post them on the UNG Job Board for you. Only non-FWS positions must be posted by faculty/staff.
4. Is the process different for hiring Student Assistants and FWS students?

Yes. For a flow chart of each, please see:

5. Do I need to interview students for positions?

For Student Assistants (salaries paid from your department budget): We recommend you conduct at least an informal interview to make sure you are getting a student who is a good match for your position. Once you make a selection, please notify the students who were interviewed and not selected, and then remove the job posting from the UNG Job Board.

For FWS Students: Financial Aid has revised the hiring process for FWS, so departments WILL now select which FWS-eligible student they wish to hire to fill their FWS position. FWS-eligible students will apply for specific positions, and then you will want to conduct at least an informal interview to decide who you’d like to hire.

Prior to interviewing, you should call Financial Aid to confirm the student you wish to interview is FWS-eligible:

  • Dahlonega, call Suzanne Jabaley in Financial Aid at 706-867-2735
  • Gainesville, Oconee, and Cumming, call Julie Lord at 678-717-3642.

Once you have decided who to hire, call the same person in Financial Aid so the FWS positing can be removed.

6. Is there any additional paperwork involved?
Yes. Students and the supervisor will have to complete a Student Work Agreement, as well as additional paperwork in HR. The Student Work Agreement can be found under Employment Forms on the HR page and should be completed and brought to the Human Resources department on the appropriate campus (all campuses have their own HR department, with the exception of Cumming; students from this campus should bring the paperwork to the office closest to them).
FWS students and their supervisor must complete a FWS Contract, which will be sent to them, along with other HR paperwork and links, by someone from Financial Aid once they have selected a student to fill their position. See link at #4 above.
7. How do I request a FWS student?
Through campus e-mail, Financial Aid will let faculty and staff know the deadline for requesting a FWS student through an online form for the upcoming school year.
8. Will I be assigned a FWS student as in the past?
No. Financial Aid is changing the way they work with FWS, and FWS-eligible students will view positions in the UNG Job Board and then will begin applying for the one(s) that best match their skills and interests. Before interviewing students, please see #5 above.
9. What if I want the same FWS student as last year?
If you wish to have the same FWS student as last year, indicate your preference when completing the FWS form for Financial Aid. If the student is still FWS-eligible, s/he will be assigned to your position instead of your position being posted for all students to see.

For Questions About:

  • Actually posting a Student Assistant position, call Career Services on Dahlonega, Gainesville, or Oconee campus, whichever is most appropriate.
  • Federal Work Study, call Financial Aid at the Dahlonega or Gainesville campus, whichever is most appropriate.
  • HR paperwork, please call Human Resources on the appropriate campus.

UNG follows Section 508 Standards and WCAG 2.0 for web accessibility. If you require the content on this web page in another format, please contact the ADA Coordinator.

Back to Top