Back to Top
Skip to Site Search Skip to Utility Nav Skip to Top Nav Skip to Left Nav Skip to Content
Close Main Menu

Stipend Guidance

What Does it Mean to Say "Stipend" at UNG?

Guidance for paying faculty, staff, or student "stipends" at UNG.

Faculty/Staff "Stipends"

All faculty/staff “stipends” are considered “supplemental pay” and must meet the following requirements in the BOR Business Procedures Manual
  1. The tasks must be outside of the employee’s regular department.
  2. The departmental Agreement Form, must be completed and signed by the appropriate department heads.
  3. The employee must meet at least one of the criteria listed below (Criteria from the Official Code of Georgia Annotated Section 45-10-25):
    • Chaplain
    • Fireman
    • Dentist
    • Certified Oral or Manual Interpreter for Deaf Persons
    • Registered Nurse
    • Licensed Practical Nurse
    • Psychologist
    • Teacher or Instructor of an evening or night course or program
    • Professional holding a doctoral or master’s degree from an accredited college or university
    • Part-time employee

Extra compensation may be paid to employees for tasks performed after normal business hours for duties not included in the employee’s normal job responsibilities.

Employees may be paid extra compensation for a task for another department during normal job hours if the task is not part of the employee’s normal job responsibilities, and the employee takes annual leave for the portion of time that is being used for the task receiving extra compensation.

Student Stipends - Long Term Engagement

Updated information coming soon.

Student Stipends - Short Term Engagement

If a student is going to be participating in a conference, presenting research data for a short-term event, working as part of a campus event, etc. where the activity duration is a week or less, the student is paid one of two ways:

If Student Is Not Currently a Student Worker:

Updated information coming soon.

If Student Is Currently a Student Worker:

The student payment would be submitted through Human Resources and the supervisor would need to do the following:

  • Acquire and complete the "Non-Exempt Staff Supplemental Pay Agreement" form or the "Personnel Action Form (PAF)". Please contact Human Resources to request form and/or instructions on completion of forms.
  • Submit the completed and signed form to Human Resources

All amounts would be charged to the department using the "Student Assistants" account.

UNG follows Section 508 Standards and WCAG 2.0 for web accessibility. If you require the content on this web page in another format, please contact the ADA Coordinator.

Back to Top