Back to Top
Skip to Site Search Skip to Utility Nav Skip to Top Nav Skip to Left Nav Skip to Content
Close Main Menu

Study Abroad FAQs

Why should I study abroad?

Studying abroad not only broadens your horizons but it also provides you with valuable cultural and academic experiences. Meeting new people and taking courses in another country has an effect like nothing else in your college career. Studying abroad is an experience unique to college and it is an opportunity that shouldn't be missed!

When can I study abroad?

You can start as early as the summer of your freshman year with a short term program. For semester and year-long programs you need to be at least a second semester sophomore at the time of your study abroad.

Where can I study abroad?

There are a plethora of study abroad options open to students. Not only does the University of North Georgia provide several summer programs, it also hosts semester or year-long programs with Korea, China, Oman, Spain, and Peru. UNG is also a member institution of International Student Exchange Programs (ISEP), and offers additional location options around the globe. UNG, in collaboration with the University System of Georgia, offers many other programs through other colleges in the state.

Do I have to be a junior or senior in order to study abroad?

No, study abroad is an option for every student from incoming freshmen to super-seniors. However, most students travel abroad in their junior or senior year as a matter of convenience; it gives you time to save money and plan how study abroad can fit into your graduation plan. Traveling as a freshman or sophomore is in no way discouraged.

Are only core curriculum classes offered in study abroad or can I take elective classes as well?

Many study abroad programs offer both core curriculum courses and a wide variety of electives for you to choose from. In fact most majors at UNG have a certain number of elective classes that a student may take to complete their plan of study. Study abroad is an excellent way to fulfill both core and elective requirements and have a great time while doing it.

Can I take classes in my major?

Yes. In general, summer programs offer core related courses whereas semester long programs might have more courses in a specific major. It is just a matter of choosing the right program for you. We can help you determine which program will best fit your needs, schedule an advising appointment.

Do I receive credit for the classes I take?

Yes, as part of your study abroad application, you will complete a course equivalency form. In this form you will list all the courses you will be taking overseas, and will seek approval from the head of the appropriate department at UNG. It is important to remember that this is the only way to guarantee your credits.

What is the GPA requirement to study abroad?
Most summer programs only require that you are in good academic standing at UNG. For semester and year-long programs, you must have at least a 2.5 GPA.
Are there programs for graduate students?

Yes. You can search all of our programs or contact us for additional information.

How do I apply for a program?

You will need to complete an online study abroad application and possibly pay a deposit at the time of applying. You can begin the application by clicking the "Apply Now" button on your selected program's page. Non-UNG students must apply through the online application system. 

What financial aid/scholarships are available?

If you receive a HOPE scholarship, you can use this to pay for the tuition & fees portion of your UNG study abroad program. Your financial aid package (grants, loans, and other scholarships) may assist with the rest of the costs. The first step to obtain financial aid is to schedule an appointment with the UNG Financial Aid Office.

In addition to federal financial aid, UNG also offers Students Abroad with Regents Support (STARS) program. There are also many national scholarships available for students going abroad. Another good resources is IIE Study Abroad Funding.

What is the STARS program?

The Students Abroad with Regents Support (STARS) program is offered in conjunction with the Board of Regents. This program allows students who have been accepted into study abroad programs to work at the Center for Global Engagement to help promote study abroad, while they earn money towards their trip. Amounts awarded vary but the typical amount is $500.

Can I do an internship abroad?

Yes, there are many programs that will offer you the opportunity to work overseas. The best way to find out what program is best for you is to talk to a Study Abroad Advisor.

What is ISEP?

ISEP stands for “International Student Exchange Programs” and is a nonprofit membership network of colleges and universities worldwide that provides affordable access to semester and year-long exchanges. UNG is a member of ISEP and thus our students can choose from hundreds of schools worldwide. 

When should I get a passport?

At least 2 months before the start of your study abroad program. We recommend that you already have a passport when you apply to your study abroad program, or that you apply for a passport as soon as you are accepted. Most post offices, courts, and other municipal buildings offer passport services. 

Do I need a visa?

Generally, if your program is for less than 90 days you won’t need a visa. However, make sure you research your program thoroughly to ensure you do not require one.

If you are going for a semester or a year-long program, you will need to apply for a student visa. Make sure to check the Embassy or Consular Office of the country you will be visiting to learn about the visa application process.

Do I need additional health insurance?

UNG study abroad students must carry mandatory international health insurance. This insurance will cover you abroad in the event that you need medical attention. It also provides for emergency needs such as evacuation. Your insurance fee is usually included in the program costs you pay.

UNG follows Section 508 Standards and WCAG 2.0 for web accessibility. If you require the content on this web page in another format, please contact the ADA Coordinator.

Back to Top