Back to Top
Skip to Site Search Skip to Utility Nav Skip to Top Nav Skip to Left Nav Skip to Content
Close Main Menu


I was in ESOL classes in high school. How are the ESL courses at UNG different from the ones I had before I graduated?

The English language classes you had in high school were designed to prepare you for the reading, writing, speaking, and listening assignments in the different high school subjects. However, the reading and writing assignments you’ll have in college will require you to know and understand many more “academic” words and concepts and to write more complex papers and projects. The ESL courses at UNG are designed to take up where high school leaves off and prepare you to excel in all your classes.

Do I have to take the Learning Support classes after I finish ESL?

No, you don’t have to take classes in the Learning Support track. After a student exits the advanced levels of ESL Reading and/or Writing, he or she does not enroll in Learning Support Reading and/or Writing.

How do I know which ones I need to take?

Before an ESL student begins taking classes, he or she will take an ESL placement test. Next, he or she will meet with an advisor who will provide that information.

Is ESL available on the other UNG campuses?”
We are evaluating services on other campuses at this time.

UNG follows Section 508 Standards and WCAG 2.0 for web accessibility. If you require the content on this web page in another format, please contact the ADA Coordinator.

Back to Top