Back to Top
Skip to Site Search Skip to Utility Nav Skip to Top Nav Skip to Left Nav Skip to Content
Close Main Menu

Study Abroad Using Financial Aid

Federal and state financial aid funds are available to eligible students enrolled in qualifying UNG study abroad or exchange programs. Financial aid eligibility is generally determined the same way it is for a student studying on campus at UNG.

The major difference in most cases is that the student's cost of attendance may be increased during the travel semester, based on the anticipated expenses of the study abroad program. In some cases, the increased costs associated with a study abroad or consortium program will generate additional loan eligibility, however annual and aggregate Federal loan limits still apply.

Summer Study Abroad Programs

Students may use financial aid to pay for summer study abroad programs with any remaining eligibility not used during fall and spring semesters. This may include remaining Pell Grant or Loan eligibility. Unless notified, the Financial Aid Office automatically splits a student’s financial aid award eligibility for an academic year between the fall and spring semesters.

If a student is attending full-time and wishes to use their financial aid for summer, they may request their financial aid award be divided among fall, spring, and summer. The HOPE/Zell Miller Scholarship will pay for classes each semester as long as the student continues to meet the eligibility requirements.

If a student uses a third-party program to study abroad and/or intern abroad, they may have to pay the third party charges out-of-pocket. Financial Aid will be disbursed during the semester of the enrollment. Exceptions might occur if scholarships are awarded during the prior semester.

A student’s financial aid award lists the maximum amount of aid they may receive. Students should be prepared to pay out-of-pocket the costs not covered by financial aid. These include third-party programs to study abroad and/or intern abroad. Check for scholarships listed on the web page for the UNG Center for Global Engagement.

Federal and State Aid

The student must meet all of the general financial aid requirements to be awarded funds for a study abroad program.

HOPE/Zell Miller Scholarships

For study abroad programs, the HOPE/Zell Miller Scholarship will only pay the standard tuition rate per credit hour enrolled.

Students must meet the HOPE eligibility requirements. If a student is awarded a HOPE/Zell Miller Scholarship for summer but does not meet the requirements at the spring semester checkpoint, the Financial Aid Office will remove the HOPE/Zell Miller award from the students account for summer. 

Pell Grant
If the student has remaining Pell Grant eligibility, it will be awarded based on the amount remaining and number of credit hours the student is enrolled in for their study abroad program.

Scholarships are applied to the student’s UNG account, however, the Financial Aid Office can only apply the funds once the university has received the scholarship check and only on the semester for which it is awarded.

Any funds that are posted after the student has left for and/or completed their study abroad program will be applied to their account as a refund. The student should be prepared to pay out-of-pocket any expenses until any scholarship check is received.

Students may use their loans to pay for their study abroad expenses. Students must be enrolled at least half-time (6 hours) to receive the loan.

Veteran/Cadet Assistance

Georgia Military Scholarship (GMS)

Students who receive GMS can use it for an eligible study abroad program.

GMS will cover tuition, fees, and housing listed on a student’s invoice. If housing is not listed on the invoice, the student will receive a portion of GMS as a refund to help cover housing. The student must be registered for a MILS class in order to receive their GMS funds.

Eligible students may receive the Pell Grant in addition to GMS, but they are not allowed to receive student loans while receiving GMS. GMS is available fall and spring semesters only.

GI Bill®

Students who are eligible for the GI Bill® may use it for an eligible study abroad program.

All courses must be required for the student’s degree and shown on a signed plan of study indicating they are eligible courses.

Chapter 1606

Students who are Chapter 1606 will receive a monthly stipend which is pro-rated based on the number of hours for which the student is enrolled. The student’s mandatory fees are waived. The courses must be required for the student's major and listed on the plan of study. Students who also receive TA should be aware that they cannot receive TA and GI Bill® funds towards the same course.

Chapter 33

Students who are Chapter 33 may use the GI Bill® to help cover the standard in-state tuition charges and mandatory fees. In order to apply these funds to the student's account, the Financial Aid Office may reduce any HOPE/Zell Miller Scholarship and TA funds the student receives as needed. Students will also receive a housing stipend depending on the number of eligible hours for which the student is enrolled. To receive Chapter 33 funds, students must be enrolled for more than half-time and have at least one class that is on campus.

ROTC Grant

Students can use their ROTC Grant funds for a study abroad program. The student must meet all ROTC eligibility requirements.

The ROTC Grant is available fall and spring semesters only.

ROTC Scholarship

Students may use their ROTC Scholarship on eligible study abroad programs for up to one year.

  • The courses must be approved by UNG and required for the student’s major.
  • The courses must be listed on the Cadet’s plan of study.
  • The student must also enroll in and meet Military Science course requirements while abroad, excluding summer study abroad programs.
  • Other requirements may apply.

Students interested in using the ROTC scholarship for a study abroad program should contact Elayne Dowdy, Military Science Department, for more information and the full list of requirements. Summer programs are eligible for study abroad as an extension of benefits. Approvals for summer are limited to programs required for the academic major or those meeting CULP eligibility requirements.

Tuition Assistance (TA)

Students who are eligible for TA can use it for their study abroad program to take courses at a host institution.

TA will pay tuition for a maximum of 16 credit hours per academic year. The course must be required for the student’s major and be listed on the student’s signed plan of study.

If the student receives the HOPE/Zell Miller Scholarship in addition to TA, the HOPE/Zell Miller Scholarship will be applied to the student's invoice first, then TA will be used to cover the remaining tuition costs. Students who also receive the Chapter 1606 GI Bill® funds should be aware that they cannot receive TA and GI Bill® funds for the same course.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Where can I find additional scholarships to help pay for my study abroad?
It is the student’s responsibility to search and apply for scholarships. The Center for Global Engagement has information on scholarships that specifically focus on students who are studying abroad. The Financial Aid Scholarships page contains applications for institutional scholarships for which the student can apply.
Can I receive additional financial aid to help pay for my study abroad program?
The Financial Aid Office can only award students the financial aid amounts for which they are eligible. The annual and/or aggregate award limits, nor the student’s Cost of Attendance may be exceeded.
Can I receive my financial aid early?

Financial aid is typically posted to the student’s invoice for the semester of their study abroad program. However, if the student’s awards have not yet reached the Cost of Attendance (COA) for the semester preceding the trip, scholarships and available loan funds may be applied up to the COA. Student’s should visit with a Financial Aid Counselor for details.

In most cases, the Financial Aid Office uses UNG’s semester dates to award and disburse aid after the drop/add period of the study abroad semester. It is important to keep in mind that if the student’s program starts earlier or later than the normal UNG semester, the student’s aid will correlate with UNG semester dates and deadlines.

UNG follows Section 508 Standards and WCAG 2.0 for web accessibility. If you require the content on this web page in another format, please contact the ADA Coordinator.
Please note that some of the images and videos on our site may have been taken before social distancing, face coverings and restricted gatherings were required.
Use of military-themed imagery does not constitute endorsement by the U.S. Department of Defense.

Back to Top