Request to host an international scholar
If you are considering bringing a J-1 visiting scholar to campus, please follow the steps below (note the timeframe for completing each task):
- Identify Scholar
- Coordinate with the sponsoring academic unit in which the scholar will be working. It is very important to ensure that the CGE is part of all communications both with the sponsoring academic unit and the visiting scholar.
- Set up an initial meeting with the director of the Center for Global Engagement (CGE). This meeting must occur no later than 100 days before proposed scholar arrival.
- Request housing through the Academic Affairs office for approval. Housing must be requested no later than 100 days before proposed scholar arrival. Since housing is limited, 100 days allows for the requesting unit to submit a housing proposal to the Academic Affairs office and have it go through the necessary approval process. This should be enough time to secure housing before starting the immigration process (which is currently a minimum of 75 days).
- Submit request for the issuance of a DS-2019 document to CGE. Requests for a DS-2019 immigration document must occur no later than 75 days before proposed scholar arrival. Contact the CGE for forms and instructions.
- Secure insurance for proposed scholar. Insurance must be secured no later than 45 days before proposed scholar arrival. Insurance must cover: $50,000.00 per accident/illness, $7500.00 for repatriation of remains, $10,000.00 for medical evacuation, max of a $500.00 deductible per accident/illness. Contact the CGE for information on insurance providers.
- Provide evidence to CGE that the sponsoring department has addressed all arrangements on the international scholar to-do list. Must occur no later than 21 days before proposed scholar arrival.