Back to Top
Skip to Site Search Skip to Utility Nav Skip to Top Nav Skip to Left Nav Skip to Content
Close Main Menu

Update your I-20

Generally, an international student should update his/her I-20 whenever an update is made to the student's BANNER for major changes, degree changes, etc. Please make an appointment with your international student and scholar advisor to make updates to your I-20.
Campus Change

It is important for international students to remember that they must notify their international student/scholar advisor before changing campuses at UNG. If your campus location changes, you must obtain a new I-20.

Prior to obtaining a new I-20, your campus change must be reflected in your BANNER account. Please update your BANNER account prior to requesting a new I-20. Once your BANNER account has been updated, please complete the Terra Dotta application to request a campus change.

Major Change

It is important to remember that what is in your BANNER account should reflect what is on your I-20. If you change majors within BANNER, you should also complete the Terra Dotta major change application to update your I-20. You have 10 days from when your request to change majors is approved in BANNER to obtain your new I-20.

Program Extension

Many students do not complete their program by their anticipated graduation date or program end date. In order to remain in status, if you are not transitioning degrees, you must extend your program prior to the program end date listed on your current I-20.

Extensions will not be given to students that are making less than a 2.0 cumulative GPA at the time of application, since failure to maintain a 2.0 GPA suggests that the student is not making "Normal Progress" in his/her studies.

In order to extend your program, you will need to complete the program extension application in Terra Dotta.

Degree Transfers

F-1 students are admitted to the United States to complete a specific educational program. If a student decides to pursue a subsequent program at the same school, the student must comply with regulations and procedures to remain in status when continuing from one education level to another.

You must complete the process to obtain a new I-20 in order to maintain your F-1 status if you are transferring degrees or completing a degree to begin a new one. You obtain a new I-20 by completing the necessary steps.

  • If you are transitioning from one degree to a higher degree level (for example, from an Associate's degree to a Bachelor's degree), you must obtain a new I-20 before the end of the prior program.
  • If you are transitioning from a Language Training program to a Bachelor's degree program, you must obtain a new I-20 before the end of the initial program completion date. 
  • If you are completing one degree at one level (example: graduating with a Bachelor's degree) and pursuing another degree at a different level (example: Master's degree), you have 60 days from your program completion date to obtain your new I-20. Enrollment in your new program must begin at the start of the next semester.
  • If you are completing degree requirements and beginning a new degree at the same education level (example: dual Bachelor's degrees), you must obtain a new I-20 for your second program within 60 days of your current program completion date.

What are the steps to transition degrees?

    1. Apply for a degree transition by completing the Transition form in Banner Web ( > Banner Web > Student menu > Transition - Change Degree (Level), Major, Minor, and/or Home Campus > follow the prompts). You will receive an email notification from the Registrar if your transition request is approved. Once you have been approved by the Registrar for a transition, you will need to complete the change of education level application in Terra Dotta. You will be required to submit the following documents in your application.
      1. Proof of financial support Proof of financial support can be demonstrated with an original bank statement or letter from the bank. Your advisor cannot accept anything printed from an online bank account. If you have questions about what can be accepted, contact your international student advisor.
      2. Financial Affidavit (The amount of financial support that you will need to prove varies by degree and can be found in the financial affidavit.)
Transfer Out

If you wish to transfer to another institution, you must complete the appropriate steps in order to ensure your SEVIS record is transferred properly.

If you are planning to transfer out, please complete the transfer out application in Terra Dotta.

UNG follows Section 508 Standards and WCAG 2.0 for web accessibility. If you require the content on this web page in another format, please contact the ADA Coordinator.

Back to Top