Affordable Learning Georgia (ALG) is sponsoring virtual access to the Sloan-C 7th Annual Emerging Technologies for Online Learning International Symposium for the University System of Georgia (USG) campuses on April 9-11, including the libraries on the University of North Georgia’s (UNG) Dahlonega and Gainesville campuses.
UNG faculty and staff are invited to attend the free virtual sessions at any time during the three-day conference, which is taking place in Dallas, Texas. The conference will be webcast on the Dahlonega Campus in the Learning Technology Center Room 163 and on the Gainesville Campus in the John Harrison Hosch Library Room 134.
Several sessions focus on open education resources and methods on reducing the cost of course materials for students (for a focused listing, see below), a topic supported by ALG, which promotes student success by providing and guiding the development of affordable textbooks and open education resources. Among its activities, ALG disseminates information/outreach and fosters dialogue on open education resources; it also identifies and showcases existing USG efforts to create, adopt, adapt, and use open education resources. Assisting these efforts are ALG library coordinators and campus champions at each USG institution; Deborah Prosser serves as ALG coordinator at UNG and BJ Robinson serves as campus champion. They will be available at the webcast sites for the Sloan-C conference.
Sloan-C conference sessions of particular interest include (all times listed are Eastern Daylight Time):
- 9:30 a.m.: Merlot II: A Hands on Approach to Understanding the New Design to Locate and Create OERs
- 11:30 a.m.: CSU Affordable Learning Solutions: Scaling Impacts
- 2:30 p.m.: Curating OER with Social Media
- 2:30 p.m.: MOBILIZING MERLOT: Using Merlot OER to Create an Online Graduate Course
- 11:10 a.m.: Explaining the Slow Growth of E-textbooks in an Increasingly Digital Environment
- 11:10 a.m.: MERLOT Classics Award Winner in Physics: Beyond Books
- 12:10 p.m.: Building an Open Community on Accessibility and Open Education Resources
- 2:30 p.m.: Introducing MERLOT II: Next Generation Open Education Resource Tool for Online Teaching and Learning
- 2:30 p.m.: MERLOT Classics Award Winner in Psychology: My Favorite Mashups: Integrating New Technologies in Creative Ways
- 4:30 p.m.: OER Across the Globe: Challenges & Solutions for Using OER in Universities Around the World
- 5:30 p.m.: Building an Open Educational Resources Unit
- 10:25 a.m.: MERLOT & Accreditation: An Emerging Model for Institutional Effectiveness Planning
- 11:40 a.m.: Leveraging Open Source Tools in Creation of Open e-Cases
- 11:40 a.m.: MERLOT Classics Award Winner in Business: Instructional Designers and Faculty: Best Practices for Productive Collaboration
- 12:40 p.m.: How to Create a Custom Curse Content Resource from Textbooks and OER
- 12:40 p.m.: MERLOT Classics Award Winner in World Languages: Spanish Proficiency Exercises: Multiple Applications of the Same Online Materials
For more information on ALG, please visit www.affordablelearninggeorgia.org.
For more information on the Sloan-C conference, please visit http://sloanconsortium.org/conference/2014/et4online/welcome.