Back to Top
Skip to Site Search Skip to Utility Nav Skip to Top Nav Skip to Left Nav Skip to Content
Close Main Menu

Relationship Violence

Relationship Violence can be dating or domestic violence.

Dating Violence

Violence committed by a person who is or has been in a social relationship of a romantic or intimate nature with the alleged victim.

Domestic Violence

Violence committed by a current or former spouse or intimate partner of the alleged victim, by a person with whom the alleged victim shares a child in common, by a person who is cohabitating with or has cohabitated with the victim as a spouse or intimate partner, by a person similarly situated to a spouse of the alleged victim under the domestic or family violence laws of the jurisdiction, or by any other person against an adult or youth victim who is protected from that person’s acts under the domestic or family violence laws of the jurisdiction.

How Can I Protect Myself?

Whether or not you are planning to leave your partner, there are things you can do to protect yourself. If you are in immediate danger please call 911 (off-campus) and 706-864-1500 (on-campus).

Make a Safety Plan

Keep any safety plan or emergency number list in a place hidden from your partner.
  • Know your abuser’s red flags.
  • Identify safe areas of your home.
  • Make and memorize a list of emergency contacts.
  • Seek a safe environment.
  • Create an escape plan that you can execute quickly and safely.

Obtain a Protective Order

The Georgia Family Violence Act, is a law to protect people who are abused by present or past spouses, parents of the same child, parents and children, stepparents and stepchildren, foster parents and foster children or other persons living or formerly living in the same household. It can also be used to get temporary custody, financial support, and other assistance for the abused person.

Temporary Protective Order (TPO)

A Temporary Protective Order (TPO) is a court document that requires an individual to stop engaging in domestic violence, dating violence, and/or stalking. A TPO is typically for one year, but can be extended for three years, or be permanent.

Contact the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233 for resources for completing a TPO.

Campus No-Contact Order

While the university recommends that victims of relationship violence pursue a TPO, any member of the university community who has been victimized by another UNG community member can request a campus no-contact order. 

Victims should contact a Title IX Deputy coordinator or deputy for assistance.

UNG follows Section 508 Standards and WCAG 2.0 for web accessibility. If you require the content on this web page in another format, please contact the ADA Coordinator.
Please note that some of the images and videos on our site may have been taken before social distancing, face coverings and restricted gatherings were required.

Back to Top