Back to Top
Skip to Site Search Skip to Utility Nav Skip to Top Nav Skip to Left Nav Skip to Content
Close Main Menu

Teacher Education Advisement

Welcome! We care about your success. Advisement within the College of Education is available, by appointment, at three of the University of North Georgia campuses: Dahlonega, Gainesville, and Oconee.

Advising FAQ

When will I be advised, and who will advise me?

Students should make appointments for advisement every semester.

Teacher Education: Until they are accepted into the program, students are advised in a Teacher Education advisement office. After acceptance, you will be assigned to an education advisor.

Kinesiology: Contact your program advisor.

Where will I be advised?

Teacher Education has three undergraduate advisement offices. Please note the programs assigned to each:

 Dahlonega Advisement Center, Dunlap Hall, Room 111, advises undergraduate Early Childhood/Special Education and Middle Grades majors.

 Gainesville Advisement Office, Nesbitt Building, Room 5172, advises undergraduate Early Childhood Care and Education (associate degree, only), Early Childhood Education, and Middle Grades majors. Contact this office with questions about the Cumming campus.

Oconee Advisement Office, Student Resource Center, Room 556, advises associate degrees only.

I am interested in the Middle Grades program. What is the advisement process?

When you declare Middle Grades as your education major, you are first advised in a Teacher Education advisement center or office.  Once accepted into Teacher Education, you are then assigned a professor in the Middle Grades program, who will continue to advise you till you graduate.

I am interested in the Secondary Grades program. What is the advisement process?

You will choose a major in either English, math, science (biology) or history, with an emphasis in education. At that time, you should contact the corresponding department and request advisement for your content area.  Once you are accepted into the Teacher Education program, you should contact the Secondary Education program and seek advisement on your education courses.

How do I change my major to education?

Contact the advisement center or office associated with your program and staff will make the change for you.

What should my grade point average be for acceptance into the Teacher Education program?

Students seeking acceptance into the teacher education program must have a 2.75 GPA at time of applying to the program and upon graduation.

How do I apply to the Teacher Education Program at UNG?

Students seeking admittance must apply through College of Education Admissions office.

What are the guidelines for taking courses at other institutions?

In order to take courses elsewhere, students must receive transient permission from his or her advisor and the Registrar’s Office.  Transient Permission can be obtained by completing the request in Banner.

Can I test out of any courses?

UNG offers a number of exams for credit that will permit you to test out of certain courses. These options can be located by visiting the UNG Testing Office  

How do I complete a minor?

Teacher Education is a focused program and does not offer electives. All minors should be completed before acceptance into teacher education. Minors normally require 15-18 hours. To pursue a minor, please see an advisor in that academic department.

How do I have a hold on my account removed?

Holds on your record can be but are not limited to, academic holds, financial holds, library fines or parking fines. To have the hold removed, you will need to contact the appropriate office or department. You can check for holds on your account by going to your banner account and reviewing holds.

May I take classes online at UNG?

It depends on the course. To view your options, please refer to the Online Courses schedule search.

Where can I find out what courses fulfill Core Curriculum Requirements?

To obtain the list of courses that fulfill the Core Curriculum Requirements, please visit the UNG Catalog

If I don’t attend for a semester do I reapply?

As long as you haven’t completed courses at another institution, your account will remain active for one academic year.

Where can I complete my degree?

Teacher Education degree programs are offered on three UNG campuses: Dahlonega, Gainesville, and Oconee. Some coursesmay be offered on the Cumming campus. However, while all undergraduate programs are campus-based, some courses may be taught at any one of our campuses or on online.

How do I find out about Study Abroad?

To learn about our study abroad program, contact Dr. Kelly McFaden.

UNG follows Section 508 Standards and WCAG 2.0 for web accessibility. If you require the content on this web page in another format, please contact the ADA Coordinator.

Back to Top