Creating a Slideshow
Slideshows are used:
- for conveying announcements/events and directing the visitor to more information.
- for marketing some aspect of your program.
- for showcasing achievements or work with links to more information.
- to emphasize something you already have on the page.
- sparingly. Don't just throw up pretty pictures.
Try to keep your slideshow to no more than five images. In today's world, people are looking for information quickly and may not wait for a slideshow to cycle through all the images to find the one they want.
Set Location of Slideshow Block
- In the left panel, go to "_blocks/manual."
- Click on "manual" so it is highlighted (this is where your new block will be created).
Create a New Slideshow
- In the top menu bar, select "New -> Blocks -> Slideshow."
Complete Initial Fields
- Parent Folder: Can leave as is or change at this time. (All blocks must be in the _blocks/manual folder or a subfolder within this folder.)
- Title: This becomes the block name. (Recommended format: ss-nameofslideshow)
- Description: Optional. Can make notes here for future reference.
- Width Reminder: Dimensions for images in slideshows in the impact image area should be 971 x 370; dimensions for images in slideshows in the body content should be no larger than 675 x 450.
- Type: Select "Slideshow."
- Autoplay: Choose autoplay if you want the slideshow to automatically cycle through the images.
- Overlay Text: Choose this option if you want to include an informative caption at the bottom of your image.
- Original Image:
- Click the page icon or search.
- Select the original image you uploaded, not one of the images with the width and height on the end. (The width you selected earlier will select the correct image.)
- Alternate Text: Required. Explain what is in the image, including any text on the image itself. But keep it short.
- Overlay Title: Optional. If you wish to have overlay text, this text will display over your image if you checked the box to Show Hover Text.
- Overlay Description: Optional. Same as Overlay Title, but the text is a little smaller and sits below the Overlay Title.
- Link to: Optional. You can link to a page with further details.
Note: You can add another image by clicking the green "plus" sign in the upper left and repeat the steps above.
Submit the Slideshow Block
- Click "Send to Workflow."
- At the Spell Check screen, click "Submit."
- At the "Start Workflow" screen, tell us what you did in the "Comments" box. This helps us tremendously in the approval process.
- Click "Submit."
- Access to either the training web site or as a web editor to your site.
- Cascade: Basic I training
- The URL of the web page, document, or feed you are creating the link for.