UNG website WCAG 2.0 (level AA) compliant - timeline
Web Team Plan
- April 2017 - Plan reviewed and updated
- Dates below are subject to change.
January 2017 to December 2017
- Websites on www.ung.edu that are maintained by UR should be made Section 508 and WCAG2.0 compliant - in progress
- Build-out basic level accessibility style guide for web content editors - done
- Webteam members take Siteimprove accessibility training (technical, non-technical, web governance) - in progress
- All web content editors should be familiar with the Web Accessibility at UNG guidelines and continue working to make their department specific content accessible to all users.
Updated Site Contact Information for Accessibility Compliance - Effective Immediately
Due to the wide variety of usability and accessibility questions that can arise across our web sites, we will be changing the line which currently appears at the bottom of each page:
UNG follows Section 508 Standards and WCAG 2.0 for web accessibility. If you require the content on this web page in another format, please contact the ADA Coordinator.
To the following:
UNG follows Section 508 Standards and WCAG 2.0 for web accessibility. If you experience any difficulty in using or accessing this content , contact Responsible Person at firstname.lastname@example.org. 777-777-7777.
Each site owner will need to let the webteam know the name and associated information that will appear in this line. Send an email to email@example.com. Site editors are being included in this email to help ensure this gets taken care of in a timely manner.
Responsibilities of the named person
- Current accessibility and usability best practices say that the person named in the statement should do the following:
- If contacted to provide the content in another format, reply to the requester within two working days, letting them know the request was received.
- The alternate format should be provided within ten working days.
- If unsure of how to provide an alternate format, you may contact Student Disabilities Services or our ADA coordinator.
- If you discover that you can’t have an alternate format within ten working days, you should contact the requester and update them on the status of their request.
- Keep paper records of everything that is done.
If the webteam does not receive the name of a responsible person for your unit by April 28, the webteam will be listed in the sentence above and all of the site’s editing will be done by the webteam from that point forward. This means that the webteam will do all editing on the site and the unit will submit edit requests via Service Now.
If your unit doesn’t want this responsibility
If your unit does not want to handle the accessibility request that could come from your site, you have the option of having the webteam do your site editing. This means that the webteam will do all editing on the site and the unit will submit edit requests via Service Now. The webteam will then be listed as the ‘Responsible Person’ in the line mentioned above.
Section 508 Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Refresh
- Final Rule Published: January 18, 2017
- Effective: March 20, 2017
- Compliance: January 18, 2018
What Does This Mean to UNG?
Like the original 508 Standards, the updated 508 Standards (WCAG 2.0 AA) apply to a federal agency’s (and those receiving federal funding) full range of public-facing content, including websites, documents and media, blog posts, and social media sites. The final rule also specifically lists the types of non-public-facing content (including intranets, emails, and any official UNG communications) that must comply. This includes electronic content used by a federal agency for official business to communicate:
- emergency notifications,
- initial or final decisions adjudicating administrative claims or proceedings,
- internal or external program or policy announcements,
- notices of benefits,
- program eligibility,
- employment opportunities or personnel actions,
- formal acknowledgements or receipts,
- questionnaires or surveys,
- templates or forms,
- educational or training materials,
- and web-based intranets.