Back to Top
Skip to Site Search Skip to Utility Nav Skip to Top Nav Skip to Left Nav Skip to Content
Close Main Menu

Frequently Asked Questions

Applying to a UNG Graduate Program

How do I apply?

Complete the online application.

Entry-level Doctor of Physical Therapy applicants apply through PTCAS.

What is the deadline to apply?

Application deadlines vary by program. Please check the program.  All items are due by the application deadline. This includes the application, application fee, official transcripts, proof of lawful presence, official test scores if required, recommendations if required and any additional items required by the program.

How do I apply for a term that is not showing as available?

Some programs only admit new students for specific terms.  Please check the program's admissions page for available terms.  If the program accepts for your term of interest and you still do not see it as an option, it is possible we may not be accepting applications at this time.  Our application schedule is as follows:

Summer Graduate Admissions applications open July 1.

Fall Graduate Admissions applications open September 1.

Spring Graduate Admissions applications open February 1.

Application deadlines vary by program.

Where do I send my application materials?

  • Upload with your online application
  • Email to:
  • Mail to:
    University of North Georgia
    Admissions Imaging Center
    PO Box 1358
    Gainesville, GA 30503-1358

How do I check the status of my application?

Can I apply to more than one program?


I applied previously; do I need to reapply and pay the application fee again?

We offer one free update per application to the next available term for your program of interest. If you would like to change your application term or program, submit via email to a message indicating you wish to take advantage of your free update. If the free update is available, Graduate Admissions will provide an application fee waiver code to use with the online application.

If you have trouble with the fee waiver code, please notify Graduate Admissions before submitting as payments made through the online application process are not refundable.

I completed my application and submitted my materials; now what?

Check your application status, once all application materials are received, your file will be forwarded to the program for review.

I am having trouble with the online application; can you help me?

We use an third party to process our online applications.  Please see their FAQs for assistance.  If you are unable to solve the problem, please contact us for a paper application and submit the application fee to Graduate Admissions.

Admission Requirements

What are the admission requirements?

Admission requirements vary by program.  Please check with the program.

I’m an international student; what are the requirements?

An international student is someone who has not been granted or does not have U.S. citizenship or permanent U.S. residency.  In order for these students to study in the United States, they must obtain an F-1 visa.  International applicants must enroll for at least nine hours per semester, excluding summer semester, and may only enroll in up to three hours of online (distance education) coursework per semester.  International applicants must be accepted as degree-seeking.

International students must meet all program admission requirements for the program, but also have some additional requirements. Not all programs allow International student admission.  Please check the program.

What is provisional admission?

Some programs offer provisional admission to applicants who do not meet regular admission requirements. Check with your program of interest to see if this is an option.

What are the provisional admission restrictions?

Students who are admitted provisionally are not eligible for federal financial aid. In addition, students will not be allowed to continue in the program if a grade of C or lower is earned in any graduate course. Programs may limit the number of credit hours you may register for as a provisionally admitted student. Check the Graduate Catalog and with your program of interest regarding provisional admission limitations.

Test Scores

What entrance tests are required for graduate admission?

Entrance test requirements vary by program.  Check with the program.

It’s been a few years since I took the exam. Are my old scores still valid?

Only scores less than five years old will be considered.

Am I required to take TOEFL/IELTS?

If English is not your native language, English proficiency must be proven. 

TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) scores must be sent directly from the testing agency. Personal copies and photocopies are NOT accepted. 

TOEFL and IELTS scores are valid for two calendar years from the test date.

Required minimum scores:

  • TOEFL internet based - 79
  • TOEFL computer based test - 213
  • TOEFL paper based test - 550
  • IELTS - 6.5

You may also prove English proficiency if you hold a bachelor's or master's degree equivalent from an accredited institution located in a country where English is the native language.


What are official transcripts?

Official transcripts are accepted directly from the issuing institution via postal mail or electronically to Student transcripts are accepted only when issued to the student in a sealed envelope and submitted to Graduate Admissions unopened.

Do you accept electronic transcripts?

Yes, if mailed electronically to directly from the issuing institution.  Electronic transcripts issued to the student and then forwarded to will not be accepted as official.

I attended UNG/Gainesville State College/NGCSU in the past. Do I need to request official transcripts from UNG?

No, do not request official transcripts from the University of North Georgia.  

If you completed your undergraduate degree at UNG, request official transcripts only from schools attended after graduating from UNG.

I haven’t graduated yet. Do you still need my transcript?

Yes.  In order to begin the evaluation process, please submit your transcript.

If you are accepted, we will need a final transcript with your degree posted.

If my transfer hours are on the transcript, should I request an official transcript from each institution?

Transfer credit posted on records of other institutions is not accepted in lieu of transcripts from original institutions.  Please request official transcripts from each institution attended.

I have copies of official transcripts; may I submit those?

Student transcripts are accepted only when issued to the student in a sealed envelope and submitted to Graduate Admissions unopened.

What if I attended/graduated from an out of country university?

International transcripts must have a course-by-course credential evaluation by an independent evaluation service that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services, Inc. (NACES). Evaluations must include certification that the applicant has received at least a baccalaureate from a regionally accredited institution and include a cumulative grade point average. **For College of Education programs, certifications, endorsements, non-degree and transient applicants only: Georgia Professional Standards Commission (GaPSC) does not recognize evaluations from many NACES members. Education applicants should review the GaPSC website for approved evaluator.

GPA Calculation

How does Graduate Admissions calculate graduate admission GPA and why may it be different than the GPA reported on my transcript?

The graduate admission grade point average (GPA) calculation is as follows.  Unless otherwise stated, the number of completed grade point average credits is the total of completed units taken at the collegiate level for which students received a letter grade A-F or WF (plus and minus points are not used). If a student repeated a course, both attempts are used for the purpose of calculating the graduate admission grade point average. 

This may differ from the GPA reported on your transcript, the institutional GPA.  Many schools will only include your last attempt at a course and exclude all prior attempts.  For example, if you repeated a 3 credit hour class and received a D on the first attempt and an A on second attempt, your institutional GPA may only include 3 hours with an A, 12 points for an average of 4.0.  However, UNG Graduate admission calculation will include 6 hours (both attempts) and 15 points (3 for the D and 12 for the A) for an average of 2.5.  In addition, some schools use plus and minus points.  UNG will adjust all plus and minus points. 

GPA calculation is slightly different for entry-level DPT applicants. Grade point average is calculated by PTCAS, the application submission process through which all entry-level physical therapy applicants to the University of North Georgia must apply.


Are recommendations required?

Not all programs require recommendation forms.  Check with your program of interest.

I'm having trouble with the online recommendation forms; can you help?

We use a third party to process our online applications.  If you applied online and completed the recommendation section, your references will receive an automated email.  If they have not received the form, please check the ApplyWeb FAQs for assistance. 

If you applied using a paper application or if you did not complete the online recommendation section, download the paper recommendation form, complete the top section and send to your references.  Once the bottom portion has been completed, the form may be sent to Graduate Admissions via email, fax or mail.  Graduate Admissions does not contact your references. 

Not all programs require recommendation forms.  Check with your program of interest.

How do I change the name and/or email of an individual I listed as a recommender on my application?

Log in to your ApplyWeb account and under the Online Letters of Recommendation section, select the appropriate Action item, either "Edit/Change This Recommender" or "Send Reminder."

Lawful Presence

What is the Proof of Lawful Presence requirement and what fulfills it?

Board of Regents’ policy requires all applicants who are accepted for admission or readmission to UNG and who seek to be classified as in-state for tuition paying purposes to provide validation of residency and lawful presence in both the state of Georgia and the United States. Refer to these instructions for a list of documents that will fulfill this requirement.

I have a hold for LWPR; what is that?

LWPR is the abbreviation we use for Proof of Lawful Presence.  You will not be able to register for classes until this requirement is fulfilled.  Board of Regents’ policy requires all applicants who are accepted for admission or readmission to UNG and who seek to be classified as in-state for tuition paying purposes to provide validation of residency and lawful presence in both the State of Georgia and the United States. Refer to these instructions for a list of documents that will fulfill this requirement.

Can I send you a photocopy of my birth certificate?

No, photocopies of birth certificates are not accepted. We must see an original, certified birth certificate with a raised seal.  


When will I receive an admission decision?

Admission decision processing varies by program. Many programs will have a decision within 2-3 weeks. Cohort programs will review all applications after the application deadline.

I wasn’t accepted; can I appeal?

Yes. Check with the program.

I was accepted; now what?

Information can be found on the I've Been Accepted, Now What? page.

I was admitted provisionally, what does that mean?

As a provisional student, you are restricted on the number of hours you may take. In addition, you are required to earn at least a B in all classes. Therefore, a hold will be placed on your student account which will prevent registration for the next term. After grades have posted for the term, your transcript will be reviewed. If you have met the provisional admission requirements as stated in the Graduate Catalog, the hold will be removed, you will be notified by Graduate Studies and your admission status will change from provisional to regular.


How much is tuition?

Tuition varies by program.  Check the Business Office tuition and fees webpage, for more information.

What fees will I be required to pay?

Fees vary by campus.  Check the Business Office tuition and fees webpage, for more information.

Does UNG have a tuition payment plan?

Yes. Check for details.

How do I apply for financial aid?

Contact the Financial Aid department for information,

Are there any graduate assistantships available?

UNG has graduate assistantship opportunities in a variety of departments and on many campuses. Securing a graduate assistantship provides opportunities that enhance your career-readiness.  Many positions provide a stipend and offer flexible scheduling. Accompanying waivers drastically reduce the cost of graduate tuition. To request more information or to get on an email list for position availability, contact Candace Lovell in Graduate Studies at

What are the requirements for Georgia resident in-state tuition?

Classification of in-state for tuition purposes requires an individual to have established domicile in Georgia for at least 12 consecutive months prior to the first day of classes for the semester in which the student plans to enroll.  Check Residency Requirements for additional information.


Am I required to submit an immunization form?

All students are required to submit an immunization form to the Student Health Center. If you are enrolling in a fully online (no campus visits) program, check the box for distance learning, sign and date and submit to the Student Health Center. If an online student chooses at a later time to take a class on any designated campus site or university managed facility, the student is required to submit immunization documentation.

Students accepted to the DPT program only

Entry-Level DPT: Please complete the DPT immunization form and submit to both Lynn Youngblood and the Student Health Center.

Post-Professional DPT: Please complete the DPT immunization form and submit to both Staci Youngblood and the Student Health Center.

I would like more information. Whom do I contact?

Graduate Admissions can be reached at 706-864-1543 or

Can I transfer graduate credit hours from another institution?

In order to earn a master’s degree at UNG, a student must earn a minimum of 24 semester hours of credit in residence.  Check the Graduate Catalog for requirements by program for transfer credits.

What career services do you offer?

Check with UNG Career Services.

UNG follows Section 508 Standards and WCAG 2.0 for web accessibility. If you require the content on this web page in another format, please contact the ADA Coordinator.

Back to Top