Back to Top
Skip to Site Search Skip to Utility Nav Skip to Top Nav Skip to Left Nav Skip to Content
Close Main Menu

Waivers and Releases

The University of North Georgia sponsors numerous voluntary travel, recreational, cultural, educational and physical activities for members of the university community which are not part of the university's core educational activities. For example, the university sponsors international workshops around the world, local trips, numerous non-varsity athletic activities, physical fitness programs, etc.

Why Do We Need a Waiver?

Although offering these activities are important to the university, these activities also subject the university to increased liability. In order to ensure that participants fully understand and appreciate the risks associated with these activities as well as to mitigate the potential liability risk to the university, participants in these activities need to sign Waivers of Liability Forms.

When is a Waiver of Liability Needed?

The university does not have students sign these forms for routine educational activities that are part of their course requirements. In addition, the university does not have employees sign these forms for activities that are in the scope and course of their employment. However, for activities that are voluntary, the university does require releases from students and employees.

Organizing or Planning an Activity?

If you are involved with organizing/planning such a voluntary activity, it is important that you have each of your participants execute an appropriate form and that you keep the original form safe for the duration indicated by the university's record retention program.

If you have any questions regarding whether your particular activity needs to utilize the forms, please feel free to contact us. If your proposed activity involves international travel to a location subject to a U.S. State Department travel restriction or warning, contact UNG’s Center for Global Engagement.

UNG follows Section 508 Standards and WCAG 2.0 for web accessibility. If you require the content on this web page in another format, please contact the ADA Coordinator.

Back to Top