Back to Top
Skip to Site Search Skip to Utility Nav Skip to Top Nav Skip to Left Nav Skip to Content
Close Main Menu


Advising and Assistance
What is the best way to make an appointment with your advisor? What do you want to discuss with your advisor?

When students need a Plan of Study (POS), they should visit their advisor during posted office hours or email the advisor to schedule a meeting.  However, it is recommended that students attempt to complete the POS prior to meeting with their advisor. The advisor can help answer remaining questions. If students have completed less that 45 credit hours and/or are a newly declared psychology major, they will be required to attend a mass advising session during the advisement period as determined by the University calendar (several weeks in the middle of the semester).  Information about mass advisement will be sent out to all majors via their UNG email accounts (the formal means of communication for the University).  If students have questions unanswered by mass advisement (career options, graduate school, advice, etc.), they should go to see their advisor during posted office hours or contact them to schedule an appointment. 

Additional information about advising can be found by logging into myUNG and visiting the Psychological Science Portal Site under Directories. By reading all materials on the advisement webpage, students will be well prepared for registration. Advisors are a great resource for students, but advisors are not here to schedule classes for students. They are always here to help but can be much more help if students come prepared.  

How do I find an advisor for my minor?

Students may meet with any professor in Psychological Science. Please stop by the Department of Psychological Science in 219 Barnes Hall to be directed to an advisor. 

Are free tutors available for psychology classes?

Free tutoring is available on the Dahlonega campus for:

  • PSYC 3070 Quantitative Methods
  • PSYC 3080 Research Methods
  • PSYC 4230 Neuroscience.

Please contact the Academic Skills Center in the Stewart Center, Room 269 or at 706-864-1433 for tutoring schedules.

Counseling Areas and Licensing
What are the differences between getting a LCSW and a LPC; which is better for someone who wants to do counseling?

A LCSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker) obtains a master's degree in social work while a LPC (Licensed Professional Counselor) obtains a master's degree in counseling. You can counsel with either, but in some cases a LCSW will open some doors that a LPC will not. Job opportunities for counselors typically require LCSW or LPC licenses; however, there are many other opportunities which will only accept LCSWs.

The process to obtain a license is similar and is regulated through the Composite Board under the GA Secretary of State. The differences in the degrees center on content of the program. A counseling program centers on counseling and assessment while a social work program trains in counseling and assessment but will give the added social work content, setting up programs, connecting with community resources, etc.

A student's best bet is to compare a social work program (such as UGAs) and our Master’s program in Counseling or other similar programs to see the difference in topics.

  • Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC): Requires a master’s degree in order to provide counseling and is considered a "generalist" degree. Students might want to look for CACREP accredited programs, specifically in Counseling, which is a 60-hour program. Licensure requires 3,000 hours (or 3 years) post-masters experience in counseling (2 years in some states) and you must pass the National Counselor Exam (NCE).
  • Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW): Requires a master’s degree which is typically 30 hours of coursework and requires 3 years post-master's experience (although some requirements might vary by state). Social Work differs from counselor training in that there is more emphasis on social systems. The main tasks of professional social workers can include a number of services such as case management (linking service users with agencies and programs that will meet their psychosocial needs), counseling & psychotherapy, human services management, social welfare policy analysis, policy and practice development, community organizing, international, social and community development, hospital and aged care, advocacy, teaching (in schools of social work), and social and political research.
  • Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist (LMFT): Requires a master’s degree which is typically a 60 hour program where the focus is on counseling couples and families rather than individuals such as LPC or LCSW. Training is more specific but also more limited in the scope of practice. Licensure includes 2,000 hours of post-master's, supervised clinical experience.
  • Licensed Psychologist (LP): You can obtain a degree in counseling psychology or clinical psychology in order to provide counseling services. The LP requires a doctorate (PhD or PsyD) and programs vary in length and entrance requirements. This training differs from other degrees in there is more training based on a medical model and includes more assessments such as administering and interpreting tests (i.e., personality, IQ, etc). Post-doc experience is required in order to obtain a license and requirements vary by state.
What are some ways to break into LGBTQ counseling or gender therapy?

First, interested students should gain appropriate knowledge in the area by reading, attending workshops, talking to individuals, asking questions, and researching. Next, volunteer at an agency that specializes in this population or visit sites such as,, or to find ways to get involved. If you are able to complete an internship, then look for agencies specializing in the LGBTQ population.

Courses - What Should I Take?
Do I have to take BIOL 1107 and BIOL 1108?

No, students may take any of the sciences listed in the catalog under Area D in the core curriculum. However, the Department of Psychological Science recommends Biology, Chemistry, or Physics in preparation for and as a prerequisite for PSYC 4290 Neuroscience. Many students choose to take BIOL 1101 to refresh themselves on Biology, then move on to taking BIOL 1107 and possibly BIOL 1108.

Having one of the above sciences as opposed to Astronomy, Geology, etc. can be a benefit to students who are applying to competitive programs at the graduate level, because they are more closely related to the Psychology major than the other sciences.

Can I take Anatomy for my Area D science?
No, the Georgia Board of Regents (BOR) does not accept Anatomy as one of the lab sciences in Area D.
Can I complete my entire Area E with History classes?
You can only take 6 hours of any one subject in Area E.
Are there any courses you recommend psychology majors take?

We encourage all psychology majors to consider participating in an internship. Successful internships help students determine which area of psychology they want to pursue and provide valuable work experience.

We also encourage students to consider how they plan to use their Psychology degree and then choose electives to fit in with those plans. For instance, if a student plans on going into counseling, the student should consider electives such as PSYC 4840: Counseling and Clinical Methods, PSYC 3600: Psychology of Women, PSYC 3520: Human Sexuality, PSYC 3181: Psychology of Aging, or some of the special topic classes like PSYC 4303: Drugs, Brain, and Behavior.

Would it be better if I used AP Credit or didn't use it?

AP credit can be good and allow students to save time and money.  However, AP credit might not be your best option. If students receive credit for the first course in a sequence, they should consider if they feel prepared for the next course in the sequence.  While, in theory, AP courses are meant to instruct at a college level, students may not receive the information in a way which prepares them for the classes in a particular major at a particular school.  Some students elect to take the classes they received AP credit for while others do not. 

How do you decide which classes to take when you have a choice?

Students are always encouraged to take classes of interest to them.  However, in some instances, the department has made recommendations.  For example, we prefer psychology majors take MATH 1111 or higher in AREA A2 but MATH 1101 would suffice.  We also recommend our students take Biology, Chemistry, or Physics lab courses in AREA D.  There are many other recommendations, which students will hear about during advisement sessions. Regarding electives, students should take classes which pertain to their field of interest. Also, consider doing research and an internship. 

Where can I do my internship and what do I need to do to make it happen?

The Department of Psychological Science is flexible in regards to where a student may have an internship. Students are encouraged to choose an internship site which will help them gain experience in the area of Psychology in which they are interested.

Additional information about internships, including past internship locations, may be obtained by contacting the Internship Coordinators in Career Services. Career Services has Internship Coordinators on the Dahlonega and the Gainesville campuses. Students should also review the Internship Handbook and meet with the Department of Psychological Science Internship Coordinators who oversee internships within the department and determine academic credit eligibility. For the Dahlonega campus, the Departmental Internship Coordinator is Dr. Kelly Cate. For the Gainesville campus, the Departmental Internship Coordinator is Dr. Shelley Aikman.

Students should be aware some internship sites require students to purchase a short-term liability insurance policy.

When should I start looking into internships?

Students must have Junior status or higher to receive academic credit for an internship. Since setting up internships can take time, students should plan and organize the internship 1-2 semesters in advance.

A copy of the internship handbook can be found by logging into myUNG and visiting the Psychological Science Portal Site under Directories. Once students have reviewed the handbook and discussed their desire to do an internship with an advisor, they should schedule an appointment with the departmental internship coordinator, Dr. Kelly Cate (Dahlonega campus) or Dr. Shelley Aikman (Gainesville campus).

What should I take for my minor?
Students are encouraged to minor in an area they like and which will enhance their psychology major based on what they plan to do when they graduate.
How do I find an advisor for my minor?

Students may meet with any professor in Psychological Science. Please stop by the Department of Psychological Science in 219 Barnes Hall to be directed to an advisor. 

Post-Graduation Options
What is the best way to further your education after receiving a Bachelor's Degree in Psychology? What about job opportunities for those with a Bachelor's Degree?

Dr. Bryan Dawson has put together a great series of podcasts devoted to answering this very question!  You can subscribe for free here.

Which looks better for graduate school: research, internship, or involvement on campus (Psi Chi, Psych Club, and other groups on campus), or should I have a combination of the three?

The more, the better! However, it depends on what a student is looking for in a graduate program. When in doubt, students should contact the schools or programs in which they are interested and ask.

Study Abroad
Is studying abroad an option for psychology majors (or even a good idea)?

Studying abroad is an excellent opportunity for all majors to get a better sense of our global society and experience a culture vastly different than their own. There are study abroad Psychology courses offered occasionally; however, many core curriculum courses are routinely held as study abroad courses. While students may not directly benefit from study abroad in the field of Psychology, it does give them the opportunity to have experiences that may set them apart in their graduate school interviews, especially if the trip results in the formulation of a particular research topic. 

UNG follows Section 508 Standards and WCAG 2.0 for web accessibility. If you require the content on this web page in another format, please contact the ADA Coordinator.

Back to Top