UNG Recreation Center - Dahlonega
The Recreation Center opened to students October 13, 2008, after many months of construction and planning. The Student Government Association was the driving force that made this idea a reality, and they have shown this by voting for fees that predominately support the operation of the facility as well as the cost of construction.
All students, faculty, staff, patrons, and guests agree to abide by the Rec Center Policies and Procedures at all times.
Dahlonega, GA 30597
Recreational Sports Offices
The Rec Center is home to the Recreational Sports offices. They are located through the door to the right after you enter the building.
First Floor Building Attributes
Our Facility has a variety of Life strength training equipment including Hammer Strength with Motion Technology.
- Benches (Incline, Decline, Flat, Bench Press and Adjustable Benches)
- Selectorized Machines
- Plate Loaded Machines
- Cable Motion Stations
- Half Racks
- Arm Curl Benches
- Smith Machines
- Dual Adjustable Pulley Machines
- Free Weights ranging from 5-100 lbs
- Pre-loaded weighted bars
- Three basketball courts
Climbing Wall & Boulder
- 33 ft. high
- Three lanes wide
- Routes are changed throughout the semester
- 10 ft. high
- Three pads available
- Restroom and Shower Facilities
- Changing Area
- Day Use Lockers (Bring your own lock)
- Semester Use Lockers can be purchased through the Department of Recreational Sports.
2nd Floor Building Attributes
- Gender Neutral Restroom and Dressing Room
- Upright Bikes
- Stair Climbers
- Summit Trainers
- Recumbent Bikes
- Spin Bikes
- Rowing Machines
- Octane Total Body xRide
- Sci-Fit Upper Body Ergometer
- Plate Loaded Machines
- Five - 35 lb dumbbell rack with three benches
- Back Extension/Ab Platform
- 1/10 mile track.
- Stretching mats and exercise balls to use in the corners of the track or Group Ex Room
- Weighted Core Balls
- Stability Balls
- Back Extension
- Stretch Partner
- Decline Bench
- Hammer Strength Elastic Bands
- Stretch Cords
- Calf Stretch Platform
- Two ping pong tables
- Balls and paddles are available for check-out at the Front Desk
Group Exercise Room
- One large room or two smaller rooms
- Shock absorbing wood flooring
- 18 Speakers for uniform, clear sound
Facility Reservation Guidelines
All reservation requests must be submitted at least seven days prior to the proposed activity. Any request is subject to being denied. Reservation requests that repeat on a weekly basis are only good for the current semester and cannot be accepted before the first day of the semester. Reservations will be honored based on priority scheduling. In general, the entire gymnasium and/or fitness area may not be reserved for exclusive use during normal operating hours. We strive to keep at least one court open for open play during scheduled events, including Intramural Sports. Fundraising activities must be approved by the associate dean of Student Involvement. The Recreation Center and/or Climbing Wall can be reserved for university group usage outside of normal hours for a fee of $25 per hour. The pool can be reserved for university group usage outside of normal operating hours for $25 per hour for up to 25 participants.
Equipment Reservation Guidelines
All equipment reservation requests must be submitted at least 48 hours prior to pick-up. Reservations cannot be changed/edited after the 48-hour window begins. Any request is subject to being denied. Reservations will be accepted on a first come, first serve basis. Completing the form does not guarantee a reservation request. All equipment must be picked up and returned during normal Recreational Sports business hours. The renter will be responsible for any lost of damaged equipment. The Department of Recreational Sports reserves the right to approve or deny any requests at their discretion.
Vehicle Reservation Guidelines
Rec Sports vehicles are available to use free of charge to approved groups of the University of North Georgia as long as it is not already being used by the department or university. UNG employees or students who have completed the required Georgia DOAS Risk Management Motor Vehicle Training Course, are not currently disqualified drivers, and are at least 21 years of age are eligible to reserve the vehicle. A minimum of two members who are going on the trip must be eligible vehicle drivers at the time in which the reservation is made. A Vehicle Reservation Request must be submitted at least five business days before the vehicle will be needed. A copy of the certificate of completion of the motor vehicle training for each driver must be submitted with the reservation request. The club or approved group is responsible for the following:
- Paying for all gas used. Failure to bring the vehicle back full of gas will result in a $6/gallon charge to the renting group.
- Ensuring that the inside of the vehicle is clean when returned and not excessively dirty. This includes but is not limited to: dirt, mud, stained interior or ceiling/floor, garbage left in vehicle, etc. Failure to comply will result in a $50 cleaning fee.
- Any damages beyond “normal wear & tear”.
- Lost keys.
Currently enrolled students that take the majority of their classes on the Dahlonega Campus automatically pay the Rec Center Fee and have access to the facility.
Students enrolled on other campuses can access the Dahlonega Rec Center by visiting the Business Office and asking them to assess the $83 Rec Center Fee.
Faculty, Staff, & Retirees of University of North Georgia
Full-time, benefited UNG employees can join the Dahlonega Rec Center for a discounted rate. This discounted rate is available for eligible dependents and retirees as well.
Alumni and Community Members
Members of the Alumni Association and Community Members are eligible for Rec Center memberships. Please contact Continuing Education for more information at (706) 864-1918.
Rec Center Policies
- Patrons are only allowed in the facility during normal operating hours.
- All patrons must swipe their University of North Georgia I.D. card at the gate upon entering the facility. Only valid patrons with proper ID Cards are allowed in the Rec Center. No exceptions.
- Individuals under the age of 15 are not permitted to enter the Rec Center. Individuals under 18 years of age must be directly supervised by their parent/guardian.
- Rec Center staff shall monitor overall facility conduct and use of equipment including the sound system, televisions, and thermostat.
- All bags and personal items must be kept in the designated areas and may not be carried around the facility. Neither the Department of Recreational Sports nor the staff are responsible for lost or stolen items. Patrons should report missing items to the respective facility supervisor as soon as the items are noticed missing.
- Lockers are available to rent per semester. Day-use lockers are also available for use, but contents and locks must be removed on a daily basis. Locks will be cut and lockers will be cleared at the end of each day.
- No food or drinks are permitted in the Rec Center. The only exception is water or sports drinks in a sealed container or bottle. Water fountains and drink machines are available in the facility.
- Guest passes are available to those with a member assuming responsibility of the guest.
- Spectator passes can be requested through the Intramural Sports and sport club programs.
- Bikes/roller-skates/roller blades are prohibited from the building.
- Skateboards must be stored in the designated area.
- Animals are not permitted in the facility, except for trained service animals.
- No one may take pictures or shoot video inside the Rec Center weight areas, gymnasium, or locker rooms without permission from management staff.
- Personal training in the Rec Center can only occur through trainers certified by the Department of Recreational Sports and academic classes. Any other personal training, whether for pay or not, is strictly prohibited due to safety concerns and to ensure that no state facilities are used to advance a private enterprise.
- If equipment/facilities are lost or damaged, the student/member will be responsible for the cost of the repair.
- Patrons must demonstrate courtesy towards others in the facility at all times.
- Respect for equipment, facilities, and staff must be demonstrated at all times. The Rec Center is a place for exercise, fun and relaxation. Abusive, vulgar or degrading language will not be tolerated.
- The Rec Center is a place for everyone to feel welcome. Please let us know of any questions, comments or concerns that you may have.
Fitness Area Policies
- Proper athletic workout attire is required (In accordance with University of North Georgia's Policy on Student Attire)
- Street clothes are not to be worn on weight and cardio equipment. This includes: jeans, cargo shorts/pants, corduroy shorts/pants, belts, and apparel with rivets or other decorations that may cause increased wear and tear to equipment.
- Shoes must have a rubber sole and must be athletic in nature. Sandals, open-toe or open-back shoes, hard-soled shoes, slip-on shoes, Sperrys, and boots are prohibited.
- Tops that expose midriff/stomach are unacceptable.
- Shorts made of spandex or a spandex-like material must be of mid-thigh length or longer.
- Clothing must cover the buttocks and groin area at all times. Skirts are not allowed.
- Clothing with obscene or offensive language, gestures, or slogans are unacceptable.
- Singlets and/or full body, one piece suits, made of spandex, spandex-like material, or tight cotton cannot be worn alone; a t-shirt and/or shorts must be worn in addition to the singlet and/or full body suit.
- Appropriate support and undergarments are required and should not be visible to others.
- Anything that compromises the safety and the professionalism of the Rec Center is prohibited.
- The appropriateness of attire is at the discretion of the Rec Center staff.
- Apparel changes must be restricted to locker room facilities.
- It is recommended that all patrons bring a clean towel to wipe down benches, upholstery, machines, and cardiovascular equipment after each use. Gym Wipes are provided for patrons to wipe down equipment after use.
- There is a 30 minute limit on cardio equipment if people are waiting.
- Bars, weights, and dumbbells must be returned to the proper plate holders or rack after each use.
- Slamming or dropping dumbbells or weight stacks is strictly prohibited. Always maintain control while exercising.
- Olympic Lifts are not allowed in the Rec Center. This includes but is not limited to cleans and snatches.
- No equipment shall leave the facility unless prior approval has been obtained by the Recreational Sports Office.
- Spotters must be utilized when necessary on all free weight equipment. Facility staff is able to spot when needed.
- Weight Clips must be used on all bars that could potentially become unstable, at all times.
- Immediately report any injury or equipment irregularity to the staff member(s) on duty.
- Rec Center staff is available to assist patrons with the operation of equipment that is unfamiliar in order to prevent injury from improper usage. For a more in-depth training, fitness assessments, exercise prescriptions, and personal training, please see the Graduate Assistant of Fitness and Facilities.
Gymnasium Area Policies
- No dunking and hanging on the goals is allowed during open recreational play.
- Players must wear tennis shoes with non-marking soles on the courts, no Vibram Five-Finger. Shirts must be worn at all times.
- Courts are available for use on a first come first serve basis. Scheduled events will be posted, so patrons will be aware of times when usage will be limited.
- Hitting, kicking and bouncing of soccer balls, basketballs or other items against the walls is prohibited.
Posting Restrictions and Guidelines
- Nothing may be posted in the Rec Center on any surface that is not an approved posting area, including, trash cans, walls, railings, bathroom stalls, benches, staircases, windows, doors, newspaper boxes, bulletin boards, etc.
- The Recreational Sports staff associate will approve all posters before being posted in the facility.
- No commercial advertising is allowed in the Rec Center.
- Posters must advertise an event sponsored by a registered student organization or department.
- The name of the sponsoring organization or department must appear on the poster.
- Posters will be removed the day after the advertised event.
- If no deadline is put on the poster, it will remain on the board for 14 days only.
- Limit of one flyer per event.