Blue Ridge Rifles
In June 1861, the city of Dahlonega sent their second group of volunteers to the Civil War front under the command of Joseph Hamilton. The unit was organized as Company E, Phillip’s Legion Infantry- The Blue Ridge Rifles. In 1864, the time for which the Rifles' enlistment expired, they did not disband, but re-enlisted for the remainder of the war. Following the war all units of the Confederacy were disbanded. The members of the Blue Ridge Rifles continued to meet on a social basis.
In 1950, a drill platoon was formed for use in Spring parades at North Georgia College. The team was named the Honor Platoon. The name was later changed to the Drill Platoon. In 1958, the Drill Platoon was renamed the Blue Ridge Rifles in honor of the Dahlonega volunteer unit.
Since its early beginnings, the Blue Ridge Rifles Drill Team has earned state and national recognition. The Rifles became recognized in 1971 with their winning First Place in the Eastern Tennessee State University (E.T.S.U.) Drill Meet in Tennessee, and have since won First Place honors at the nationally recognized Mardi Gras Invitational Drill Meet in New Orleans, Louisiana. The Blue Ridge Rifles are the 2001 and 2002 National Champion Precision Drill Team.