Center for Language Education
The Center for Language Education (CLE) at the University of North Georgia (UNG) offers an Intensive English Program (IEP) that improves English for international students seeking admission to UNG or study in another American university.
The CLE's Intensive English Program is a residential, full-time English language immersion course that provides English language learners high quality instruction and opportunities to improve and perfect English language proficiency. The Intensive English Program will develop learners’ competency and confidence in communicating in English. It is a 16-week program for the fall and spring semesters. Classes will meet Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to noon and resume after lunch from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
What is special about the CLE program as compared to other English language programs?
CLE provides students the opportunity to:
- Live in a modern campus dormitory and walk to all school facilities. UNG offers international students a safe location to study, a small American town to enjoy life, a friendly campus to meet American students, and beautiful natural scenery to enjoy the outdoors.
- Study in a small size class. CLE classes contain less than 12 students and provide individual attention for students studying English.
- Have opportunities to observe undergraduate classes to gain first-hand experience of an university classroom education while studying in the CLE.
- Enjoy a unique language environment. The international student population of UNG is less than 2 percent, providing many opportunities to speak English and make American friends.
- Take field trips to some of Georgia’s most important historic and cultural sites in Atlanta and surrounding areas to enrich knowledge of American history and culture.
- Meet American language partners to practice English and make friends. Students may also choose to live with an American roommate to learn more about American culture.
- Gain admission into undergraduate studies at UNG. No TOEFL is required for undergraduate admission to UNG after a student has successfully completed the advanced Intensive English Program.