Back to Top
Skip to Site Search Skip to Utility Nav Skip to Top Nav Skip to Left Nav Skip to Content
Close Main Menu


What courses and permissible grades are required?
If you place into: You are required to take: Permissible Grades
Co-Requisite-Level English ENGL 0999* with ENGL 1101 C or better in ENGL 1101
If you place into: You are required to take: Permissible Grades
Co-Requisite-Level Math MATH 0999*
MATH 1111

D or better in MATH 1111

C or better required to take next MATH course

If you place into: You are required to take: Permissible Grades
Foundations-Level Math MATH 0997* with MATH 1001
MATH 0998* with MATH 1101

D or better in MATH 1001/1101

C or better to take next MATH course

*These course combinations, ENGL 0999/1111, MATH 0997/1001, MATH 0998/1101 and MATH 0999/1111 are two courses taken in the same semester. When registering, click on “See Note” in Banner to view requirements and paired courses.

All questions about placement in Learning Support may be directed to Dede deLaughter:; 706-310-6207

Does attendance matter?

Yes. Chronic absences often result in poor course grades, and can also be cause for faculty to have students administratively withdrawn from their course. Students who are administratively withdrawn from their Learning Support class will also be withdrawn from any corresponding college-level classes. Please reserve absences for extreme circumstances. Students who encounter extenuating circumstances are encouraged to contact the Dean of Students on their home campus to discuss whether or not a hardship withdrawal might be warranted.

How can I make sure I’m registered for next semester?
  1. Meet with your faculty advisor, listed on your Tranguid, during Advising Weeks.
  2. In consultation with your advisor, fill out the Scheduling Worksheet for Students with LS requirements. Submit a copy of the signed worksheet to the office designated on the form.
  3. Check for registration time and holds in Banner Web. Clear up any holds.
  4. Use your copy of your student scheduling worksheet create your own schedule, using Nighthawk Registration.
  5. Register on the first day you are eligible. (Registration assistance is available at every campus.)
  6. Look at your schedule in your Banner Web account once finished registering to confirm class times, days, and locations.
  7. Make certain payment is taken care of by the payment deadline.
How do LS courses affect my academic standing and financial aid?

Students with Learning Support requirements must enroll in their required Learning Support (LS) courses each semester of attendance until the requirements have been completed. Learning Support courses numbered below the 1000-level do not carry college-level credit leading to graduation; however, the courses do count toward hours of enrollment, eligibility for sorority/fraternity membership, being excused from military quarters, and for various other college activities that require a certain number of credit hours. Being in Learning Support classes does not affect one's eligibility for financial aid, provided a student meets all financial aid requirements. Grades in Learning Support numbered below the 1000-level courses are not calculated into students’ GPA, but successful completion of LS coursework is a requirement for completion of Area A requirements.

Will Financial Aid pay for Learning Support classes?

Federal Financial Aid (Pell Grant, Subsidized loans, and Unsubsidized loans) will pay for Learning Support courses. HOPE will not pay for LS coursework numbered below the 1000-level.

How often should I check my college email account?

Daily. It's the official means of communication between students, faculty, and staff.

I have a chronic health condition, or I think I may have a learning disability. What should I do?

Please consult with Student Disability Services as soon as possible. You may be eligible for certain accommodations. Any information shared with this office remains strictly confidential.

I’m not very good at taking tests. What can I do?

Help is available through a variety of workshops, as well as by scheduling an appointment with the Student Counseling center for one-on-one assistance.

When and where are tutors available to help me?

Tutoring assistance is available on all campuses. Visit UNG Tutoring, or ask your professor.

What does it mean to withdraw from a course?
  • While there are no academic penalties for withdrawing from a class prior to the midpoint, there may be financial aid consequences as well as effects on UNG’s Course Repeats policy (see next bullet). Please discuss any withdrawals with your professor, your advisor, and with financial aid prior to submitting a withdrawal request.
  • UNG allows students a maximum of three tries in a course. If, upon the third time taking a course, a student does not earn a passing grade, s/he is no longer permitted to take that course at UNG. UNG counts withdrawals as well as non-passing grades in this policy.
  • All Area A requirements must be completed by the time students complete 30 credit hours. Students who do not complete LS requirements by the time they earn 30 hours will have their schedules restricted to only LS coursework until completed. (Board of Regents policy)
  • Faculty may have students administratively withdrawn at any point in the semester for missing assignments or for excessive absences. This results in a grade of WF if initiated after the midpoint.
  • Students who withdraw or are withdrawn from one of their Corequisite courses are also withdrawn from the Corequisite course paired with it.
  • Students who encounter extenuating circumstances are encouraged to contact the Dean of Students on their home campus to discuss whether or not a hardship withdrawal might be warranted.
What are some critical dates this semester?
  • Midpoint (last day to withdraw from a full-session UNG course without academic penalty): March 5, 2021. First short, Second short, and eCore classes all have a different midpoint. Check the UNG Calendars for specific dates.
  • If you are unable to withdraw yourself in Banner, refer to the Have Holds information.
  • Mandatory Advising Weeks to prepare for summer and fall 2021 registration are in the month of March. Meanwhile, if you need assistance with your spring 2021 schedule, please contact Dede deLaughter or Caroline Samples for assistance.
  • Holidays:
    • MLK Jr. Holiday: Monday, January 18, 2021
    • Last day of classes: Friday, April 30, 2021
    • Instructional breaks: Tuesday, March 9, 2021; Thursday-Sunday, April 1-4, 2021
    • Final Exam Week: May 3-7, 2021

If you've searched the FAQs and can't find the answer, please contact the Learning Support Director.

UNG follows Section 508 Standards and WCAG 2.0 for web accessibility. If you require the content on this web page in another format, please contact the ADA Coordinator.
Please note that some of the images and videos on our site may have been taken before social distancing, face coverings and restricted gatherings were required.

Back to Top