Back to Top
Skip to Site Search Skip to Utility Nav Skip to Top Nav Skip to Left Nav Skip to Content
Close Main Menu

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Who may use the UNG Student Counseling services?

Any currently enrolled undergraduate, dual enrolled, or graduate student working toward a degree may use the services. Spouses, partners, or family members may join sessions with the student's signed consent for therapy sessions. Students under the age of 18 need initial parental consent for services signed by the parent or guardian.

Minors (under the age of 18) require a parent/legal guardian to sign an informed consent in person prior to the first counseling session. If the parents are divorced, only the legal parent with the right to make healthcare decisions can sign the consent and a copy of the most current court-approved parenting plan must be submitted prior to the start of therapy. If the student is a minor, legal guardians must present similar paperwork from the court.

Is there any fee?

There are no fees for counseling services as long as you are a current or matriculating UNG student.

How do I know if I need therapy/counseling?

The purpose of counseling is to help you to help yourself. If you sense that you are "stuck", confused, afraid, anxious, depressed or have some such similar feelings or state of mind, you probably could use the help of a professional who is trained to assist you in just such situations. To have such periods is perfectly normal and to seek help is a sign of wisdom not weakness.

Who will know what we talk about in a session?

Of course, the therapist will know and you will know and that is it. Only with your written permission may any information be shared with anyone else. The only exceptions to confidentiality are: 1) if it is necessary to tell someone else to protect you or another from imminent harm, 2) the abuse of a child, senior, or handicapped person, or 3) a court of law orders the counselor's notes in a court case.

What commitment do I make if I see a therapist?

Therapy is to help you. When you think you no longer need help, discuss termination with your therapist. In the initial session, the counselor will give a professional opinion regarding possible treatment options. You and the therapist will work together to determine what kind of therapy commitment you would like to make. Each therapy session is typically 50 minutes.

If I am in really bad shape, what will the counselor/therapist do?

Professionals are trained to help people with quite substantial problems. However, should it appear that you need medication or even hospitalization, you and the therapist would work out a reasonable plan to do this, appropriate to you and your situation. If you were clearly on the verge of harming yourself or someone else, then immediate care would be given.

What if I feel suicidal?

Call Student Counseling at once to ask to speak to a therapist.  See What to do in an Emergency or call 911.

What if I am concerned about a friend?

Very often people will respond to a friend's help before that of a therapist. So, call or make an appointment with a counselor and get some advice on what you might do. However, if your friend is in a crisis, seek help immediately.

Make a Counseling Appointment









UNG follows Section 508 Standards and WCAG 2.0 for web accessibility. If you require the content on this web page in another format, please contact the ADA Coordinator.

Back to Top