Back to Top
Skip to Site Search Skip to Utility Nav Skip to Top Nav Skip to Left Nav Skip to Content
Close Main Menu

Student Counseling

Student Counseling Operations Update

We are restructuring our services to continue to provide services during this situation. We are moving to a predominantly online video session treatment for our students.

All previously scheduled appointments in our system have been canceled. Call Student Counseling on your campus and make a new appointment. 


If you have a life threatening emergency on campus, call University Police at 706-864-1500.

If you have a life threatening emergency and you are not on campus, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room, or call the Georgia Access and Crisis Line at 1-800-715-4225.

The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) has Crisis Counselors available. Text NAMI to 741741.

Contact Student Counseling

Please let us know how we can help you!
  • Dahlonega Campus 706-864-1819
  • Gainesville Campus: 678-717-3660
  • Oconee Campus: 706-310-6205
  • Cumming Campus: email

Online Sessions

Online Counseling is available for both established and new clients.

In order to be eligible for online sessions: 
  • You must not be currently or recently struggling with suicidality, self-injury or substance abuse.
    • If you are currently struggling with thoughts of suicide, thoughts of harming others, or if you self-injure or struggle with substance abuse, you will need to be seen in person at Student Counseling, call the Georgia Crisis and Access Line at 1 (800) 715-4225, call 911, or go to the nearest hospital emergency room.
    • If you are not currently struggling with the above issues but have done so within the last six months, you may not be a good candidate for video sessions. Please contact Student Counseling to discuss if video sessions can be offered. There are situations in which we may need to refer you to local resources. 
  • You must have a webcam and strong Wi-Fi connection
  • You must be located in the State of Georgia
You will also have to provide your clinician with the following info:
  • Your identification
  • Exact address where you are located
  • Emergency services numbers for your locale
  • A verbal guarantee that the session is not being recorded in any way, and no one else is listening

Not Eligible for Online Sessions?

If you are not able to engage in telemental health and do not have an emergency but would like to be seen, please call us and we can assist in providing referrals to local services in your area.

The Student Counseling department is dedicated to student's mental health and well-being. We provide counseling and referral services for a variety of issues.

Services Offered include (but not limited to)

  • Individual Therapy/Counseling
  • Group Therapy/Counseling
  • Suicide Prevention and Education
  • Problem Solving
  • Time Management Skills Building
  • Brief Crisis Intervention/Stabilization
  • Relaxation Training
  • Distress Tolerance Skills Building
  • Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse

Make a Counseling Appointment










The Dahlonega, Gainesville, Oconee and Cumming campuses provide counseling and referral to students who experience problems with their use of alcohol and other drugs (including prescription drugs, nicotine, caffeine, and others). Counselors can also help students who are struggling with other compulsive or addictive behaviors or substances (including pornography and eating disorders). 

Issues That Often Bring Students to Counseling:

  • Depression
  • Adjustment to college
  • Disordered Eating (bingeing, purging, restricting)
  • Sexual Orientation & Gender Issues
  • Cultural & Ethnic identity and acculturation
  • Anger Management
  • Military and Deployment issues
  • Relationship issues, conflict, loss
  • Sexual Dysfunction
  • Rape/Sexual Assault
  • Drug & Alcohol Abuse & Addiction
  • Grief, Loss, Separation
  • Academic confusion & indecision
  • Crises, Assessments, Referrals
  • Self-empowerment
  • Trauma
  • Roommate issues

UNG follows Section 508 Standards and WCAG 2.0 for web accessibility. If you require the content on this web page in another format, please contact the ADA Coordinator.

Back to Top