Back to Top
Skip to Site Search Skip to Utility Nav Skip to Top Nav Skip to Left Nav Skip to Content
Close Main Menu

Former and Returning UNG Student Admission Requirements and Application Procedures

You are on the right page if you have been away from the University of North Georgia (UNG) for three or more consecutive semesters, including summer. If you have been away for one or two consecutive semesters, there is no need to re-apply for admission. Register for your courses as if you had not left.

If you have had a break in enrollment from UNG and have any questions regarding your return, please contact Kathy Tosh, Return to UNG Coordinator.


  • You must return to the same degree level in which you were enrolled when you left (i.e., associate or bachelor's).

Selecting a Campus Location

If your primary campus is Gainesville, Cumming, or Oconee, please do not secure off-campus housing until after you have registered for your classes.

You may start in an associate degree program on our Cumming, Gainesville or Oconee campus, or in a bachelor's degree program on any campus: Cumming, Dahlonega, Gainesville or Oconee. However, bachelor's degrees can only be completed on the Dahlonega or Gainesville campuses. Not all degree programs are offered on all campuses. Please view our Degree Offerings. You may need to take classes on other campuses or internally transfer to another campus to complete your degree.

Some bachelor's degree programs have additional requirements that you must complete before you can enroll in that major. Examples include Teacher Education, Athletic Training, Exercise Science, and Nursing. Please contact the academic department of your desired major to determine whether there are additional requirements. Admission to UNG doesn't guarantee you admission to a specific major.

We must have your completed application for admission and all supporting documents prior to the deadline. Note that it is very likely we will meet capacity BEFORE the deadline and will immediately stop accepting students. Completing your application earlier is better. Applications and documents received after the posted deadline may still be considered if capacity has not yet been met.

  • Spring semester (begins in January): November 1 (All deadlines are at close of business) 
  • Summer semester: April 1 (All deadlines are at close of business) 
  • Fall Semester
    • Priority Deadline: May 1 (All deadlines are at close of business) 
    • If capacity has not been met deadline: July 1 (All deadlines are at close of business) 

Applying to UNG

Apply for admission online using the GAFutures.  Both Georgia and out-of-state residents create an account with GAFutures to apply.  If you cannot apply online, download a paper application.Whether you submit an online or paper application, you will pay a non-refundable $30 application fee.
If you attended another college after you left UNG, submit an official transcript from each institution you attended. We must receive the transcripts in sealed envelopes directly from the institutions. You may not omit any institution you attended. You do not need to submit transcripts form institutions that you may have attended prior to your last enrollment at UNG.
Submit your verification of lawful presence documentation if you wish to pay in-state tuition. 
Two weeks after you complete steps 1-3, check your application status to ensure we have received all required documents to evaluate your application

Transfer Course Credit Notes

Transfer credit is usually awarded for courses that are designed to be part of an associate or baccalaureate degree program and are completed with satisfactory grades in regionally accredited colleges. Such courses must generally correspond to the length, time and content of those offered in the curricula at University of North Georgia.

For questions regarding whether transfer credit will be accepted, please refer to our Course Transfer Equivalencies web page. Please note that this is not a complete list because it only includes courses that have transferred to the University of North Georgia in the past. If you still have questions after reviewing this page, please contact one of the admissions offices in the section below.

Note that you are required to earn a grade of "C" or better in English 1101 and 1102 (or equivalents) in order for these courses to transfer. Other courses earned at accredited institutions may transfer with grades of "D", to the extent that the grades on all credits accepted for transfer average at least 2.0. All "D" grades in core curriculum courses taken within the University System of Georgia are transferable, with the exception of English 1101 and 1102.

Academic Renewal Policy

Academic Renewal Policy for Undergraduate Applicants

If you're returning to UNG as an undergraduate student after being absent for at least 3 years from your intended date of re-enrollment, you may be eligible for academic renewal. 

Rules and Eligibility:

  • You can be granted academic renewal only once.
  • All of your previously-attempted coursework continues to be recorded on your official UNG transcript.
  • To earn a degree from UNG after being granted academic renewal, you must meet UNG's residency requirements.  For an associate degree, you must complete a minimum of 15 hours in residence at the University of North Georgia. For a baccalaureate, you must complete a minimum of 30 hours in residence at UNG, including at least 21 hours of upper division (3000 level or above) in your major field. You must also meet any additional residence requirements of your degree program. Applicability of retained credit to degree requirements will be determined by the degree requirements in effect at the time your academic renewal is approved.
  • Coursework you completed more than 3 years prior to the date you intend to enroll or re-enroll (first day of classes) is eligible for academic renewal.
  • Academic renewal granted by UNG will be honored at all other USG institutions and vice versa.
  • Transfer and transient credit can be granted for coursework you took during the 3-year period of absence if that coursework is accepted by UNG.
  • Academic renewal GPA:
    • Your academic renewal GPA will be used for determining your academic standing and eligibility for graduation.
    • Retained grades of A, B or C are not calculated in your renewal GPA, but you will receive academic credit for these courses. Since you will not receive grades for your retained courses, there may be financial aid implications, and it could affect your admission to special academic programs like nursing, athletic training or education.
    • Courses in which you received grades of D or F must be repeated at UNG if they are required for your degree program.
    • Courses you took more recently than the 3-year period of absence are ineligible for consideration for academic renewal and will be factored into your GPA.
    • Your renewal GPA starts when you resume taking coursework after your academic renewal is approved.

Applying for Academic Renewal:

  • If you're not academically eligible for admission to a bachelor's degree program, you will automatically be accepted for admission to an associate degree program on our Cumming, Gainesville, or Oconee Campus (there are no associate degree programs offered on our Dahlonega Campus).
  • You may apply for academic renewal during the admissions process. If you don't apply within one calendar year after the date you enroll or re-enroll, you will be ineligible for academic renewal. If you decide to do academic renewal after you enroll, contact the UNG registrar.
  • To apply, please fill out the Application for Academic Renewal.

Mailing Documents

Mail Documents for associate or bachelor's degree to:

University of North Georgia
Admissions Imaging Center
PO Box 1358
Gainesville, GA 30503-1358

Need Assistance?

Blue Ridge Campus 706-946-5462
Cumming Campus 706-864-1800
Dahlonega Campus 706-864-1800
Gainesville Campus 678-717-3641
Oconee Campus 678-717-3641

UNG follows Section 508 Standards and WCAG 2.0 for web accessibility. If you require the content on this web page in another format, please contact the ADA Coordinator.

Back to Top