Back to Top
Skip to Site Search Skip to Utility Nav Skip to Top Nav Skip to Left Nav Skip to Content
Close Main Menu

Transfer Student Admission Requirements and Application Procedures

Summer and Fall 2021 Deadline Extension

Due to the current circumstances, we are suspending our summer and fall Regular Admission deadline as we continue to work with students who wish to apply. We are closely monitoring class availability on each of our campuses to best serve our students needs; therefore, we encourage all interested students to apply as soon as possible.

You can apply as a transfer student if....

  • you have graduated from high school or earned qualifying scores on the GED, HiSET or TASC, and have taken a college course after high school that transfers to UNG
  • you have not already earned a bachelor's degree OR you are pursuing a second bachelor's degree

If you have a bachelor's degree and do not wish to pursue a second bachelor's degree, please refer to the admissions requirements and application process for a post-baccalaureate, non-degree-seeking student.


  • If you have less than 30 transferable semester hours of college credit complete (not including technical level courses), and you graduated high school less than five years from the start of your intended semester of enrollment, then you must also meet the new freshman admissions requirements.  
  • If you graduated high school more than five years from the start of your intended semester of enrollment, and you have fewer than 30 semester hours of transferable college coursework (not including technical level courses), you should refer to the admissions requirements and application process for non-traditional adult students.
  • Applicants will be screened for learning support (remedial) requirements through Accuplacer testing if not exempt by way of standardized test scores or transferable college credit.  Effective 01/24/19 there is a fee of $11.50 USD per Accuplacer test session.
  • Students whose secondary education was completed outside the United States system of education must also meet English Proficiency Requirements.
  • Meeting minimum requirements does not guarantee acceptance.

Associate Degree Applicants

  • Competitive applicants should have at least a 2.0 transferable/overall GPA.  Meeting minimum requirements does not guarantee acceptance.
  • Students who were academically (or otherwise) suspended from their previous institution may apply for admission to UNG as an associate degree student during their suspension period. Applications will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Students are strongly encouraged to provide an explanation about the suspension.
  • Meeting minimum requirements does not guarantee acceptance.

Degree Level Change for Current Students (from associate degree to bachelor’s degree)

Changing your degree level from associate to bachelor’s degree is not automatic. Applications are reviewed individually and decisions will be based on performance in college-level work, courses taken and selected major. 

  • Competitive applicants should have at least a 2.25 transferable GPA and at least 30 hours of transferable coursework not including learning support courses. 
    •  Athletic training and nursing programs are very competitive; listing a minimum would be very misleading. 
    •  Business and education require a minimum 2.75 GPA be considered. 
  •  Intensive advising will help students plan their path for success. 
  • To be competitive, applicants should have completed:
    • ENGL 1101 and 1102 (English Composition I and II) with grades of "C" or better.
    • MATH 1101 (Intro to Mathematical Models), MATH 1111 (College Algebra), MATH 1113 (Pre-calculus) or MATH 2450 (Calculus I) with a grade of “C” or better.
    • Meeting minimum requirements does not guarantee acceptance.
  • If you have questions about degree level changes, please contact Nighthawk Engagement & Student Transitions (NEST).

Bachelor's Degree Applicants

  • Applicants should have at least a 2.25 transferable/overall GPA and at least 30 hours of transferable coursework not including learning support courses. Meeting minimum requirements does not guarantee acceptance.
  • Students who were academically (or otherwise) suspended from their previous institution will not be allowed to enroll at UNG as a bachelor’s degree student until they have completed their suspension period and are eligible to return to their previous institution. However, they may apply for admission to UNG during their suspension period. 
  • Applicants who do not meet bachelor's degree admissions requirements will be automatically considered for associate degree programs. If admitted to associate programs, enrolled students may apply for a degree level change to bachelor's degree programs when eligible.

Dual Enrollment- Students whose only college credit was earned by taking college courses while in high school or the summer immediately following high school graduation must apply as freshmen and will be evaluated as freshmen. 

Appeal Process

Students have the right to appeal their admission decision by submitting a written request for an individual review.  The request should include a detailed justification for the individual review and updated test scores and transcript if available. Although all appeals will be given careful consideration, there is no assumption that a decision will be reversed simply because it was appealed.

Selecting a Campus Location

  • Associate pathways are not offered on the Dahlonega campus.
  • If your primary campus is Cumming, Gainesville or Oconee, please do not secure off-campus housing until after you have registered for New Student Orientation. Please view our off-campus housing resources.
  • UNG provides campus shuttle services for the Dahlonega and Gainesville campuses.
  • You may choose to start in an associate degree program on our Cumming, Gainesville or Oconee campus, or in a bachelor's degree program on any campus. However, bachelor's degrees can only be completed on the Dahlonega or Gainesville campuses. 
  • Not all degree programs are offered on all campuses. Please refer to the Degrees & Programs Listing to see which degrees are offered on which campus. You may need to take classes on other campuses or internally transfer to another campus to complete your degree.
  • You are not guaranteed a class schedule at particular times or locations.
  • Not sure of which major you should choose?  Use these tools to help you determine a career interest and what major is best for you.

UNG Residence Policy

Full-time students who are accepted on the Dahlonega Campus of UNG and who have not earned 60 semester hours or lived four semesters in university housing must live on campus. For further details, please visit UNG's Residence Policy in the Residency Life Handbook.



(All supporting documents are due within two weeks of the application deadline)

Student Type Spring Summer Fall
New Freshman - Associate Nov. 1 April 1 July 1
New Freshman - Bachelors Nov. 1 April 1 Nov. 15 (Early Action) | Feb. 15 (Regular Admission)
Dual Enrollment Nov. 1 April 15 May 15
International Nov. 1 N/A May 1
All Others (Transfer, Transient, Returning, Post - Baccalaureate) Nov. 1 April 1 July 1

Programs with Additional Requirements

Some bachelor's degree programs have additional requirements that you must complete before you can enroll in that major.  Examples include Elementary & Special Education, Middle Grades, Secondary & Science Education, Athletic Training, Exercise Science, and Nursing.  Please contact the academic department of your desired major to determine whether there are additional requirements. Admission to UNG doesn't guarantee you admission to a specific major.

Applying to UNG

Application Process
Apply for admission online: GAFutures. If you cannot apply online, download a paper application. All applicants (online and paper) will pay a non-refundable application fee.

Submit an official transcript from each institution you attended. We must receive the transcripts through e-script, Parchment, National Student Clearinghouse or another secure transcript delivery service directly from the institutions: choose Admissions Imaging Center or use as the intended recipient. If your institution is mailing your transcript directly to UNG: UNG Admissions Imaging Center, PO Box 1358, Gainesville, GA 30503. (Transcripts sent by the student or parent are not considered official.)

Complete this step only if you attended college outside of the US and want to transfer the academic credit received at your previous institution.

Your transcripts must have a foreign course-by-course credential evaluation by an independent evaluation service that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services, Inc. (NACES). They must be sent directly from the agency to the admissions office. Find a full list of NACES members.

You must submit official transcripts from each US college attended.

You should not assume that you will receive credit for all courses you took at your previous institutions. Transfer credit is determined by us on a course-by-case basis.

If you want to major in education, we do not recognize transcript evaluations from World Education Services (WES). For more details on agencies you may use, visit the Georgia Professional Standards Commission website.

If you have less than 30 completed, transferable college credit hours we will require an official final high school transcript. If you have less than 30 completed transferable college credit hours and you graduated from high school (or would have graduated) less than 5 years ago, we will also need official SAT or ACT scores.

SAT and ACT test scores must be sent electronically through the College Board or ACT. Test scores printed on high school or college transcripts will not be accepted.

You may request the College Board to send your SAT scores to account #5497, or your ACT scores to account #0848, regardless of which campus you want to attend. Test scores printed on high school or college transcripts will not be accepted.

If you were internationally educated, please send an official National Association of Credential Evaluation Services, Inc. (NACES) evaluated document-by-document high school transcript or Certificate of Education. A GPA calculation is not required. The evaluation must be sent directly from the agency to the Admissions Office. Find a full list of NACES members.

Submit your verification of lawful presence documentation if you wish to pay in-state tuition. This is not required if you pay out-of-state tuition. Out-of-state tuition is much higher than in-state tuition. Admission to UNG is not contingent upon proof of lawful presence. If you no longer wish to be considered for tuition at the in-state rate, please contact us so that we can remove the requirement from your record.
Check your application status to ensure we have received all required documents to evaluate your application.
If ACCUPLACER testing is required, you must complete the tests before registering for New Student Orientation and course registration.

Transfer Course Credit Notes

Transfer credit is usually awarded for courses that are designed to be part of an associate or bachelor's degree program and are completed with satisfactory grades in regionally accredited colleges. Such courses must generally correspond to the length, time and content of those offered in the curricula at the University of North Georgia.

For questions regarding whether transfer credit will be accepted, please refer to our course transfer equivalencies web page. Please note that this is not a complete list because it only includes courses that have transferred to the University of North Georgia in the past. If you still have questions after reviewing this page, please contact one of the admissions offices in the section below.

Note that you are required to earn a grade of "C" or better in English 1101 and 1102 (or equivalents) in order for these courses to transfer. 

Academic Renewal Policy

Academic Renewal Policy for Undergraduate Applicants

If you want to transfer to UNG from another college or university, you may be eligible for academic renewal. You must have been absent for at least three years from the college or university for which you seek academic renewal.

Rules and Eligibility:

  • You can be granted academic renewal only once.
  • The granting of Academic Renewal does not supersede financial aid policies regarding Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).
  • All of your previously-attempted coursework continues to be recorded on your official UNG transcript.
  • To earn a degree from UNG after being granted academic renewal, you must meet UNG's residency requirements. For an associate degree, you must complete a minimum of 15 hours in residence at UNG. For a baccalaureate, you must complete a minimum of 30 hours in residence at UNG, including at least 21 hours of upper division (3000 level or above) in your major field. You must also meet any additional residence requirements of your degree program. Applicability of retained credit to degree requirements will be determined by the degree requirements in effect at the time your academic renewal is approved.
  • Coursework you completed more than three years prior to the date you intend to enroll or re-enroll (first day of classes) is eligible for academic renewal.
  • Academic renewal granted by UNG will be honored at all other USG institutions and vice versa.
  • Transfer and transient credit can be granted for coursework you took during the three year period of absence if that coursework is accepted by UNG.
  • Academic renewal GPA:
    • Your academic renewal GPA will be used for determining your academic standing and eligibility for graduation.
    • Retained grades of A, B or C are not calculated in your renewal GPA, but you will receive academic credit for these courses. Since you will not receive grades for your retained courses, there may be financial aid implications, and it could affect your admission to special academic programs like nursing, athletic training or education.
    • Courses in which you received grades of D or F must be repeated at UNG if they are required for your degree program.
    • Courses you took more recently than the three year period of absence are ineligible for consideration for academic renewal and will be factored into your GPA.
    • Your renewal GPA starts when you resume taking coursework after your academic renewal is approved.

Applying for Academic Renewal:

  • If you're not academically eligible for admission to a bachelor's degree program, you will be considered for admission to an associate degree program on our Blue Ridge, Cumming, Gainesville, or Oconee campus (there are no associate degree programs offered on our Dahlonega Campus).
  • You may apply for academic renewal during the admissions process. If you don't apply within one calendar year after the date you enroll or re-enroll, you will be ineligible for academic renewal. If you decide to pursue academic renewal after you are admitted or enrolled, contact the UNG registrar.
  • To apply, please fill out the Application for Academic Renewal.

Mailing Documents

Mail Documents for associate or bachelor's degree to:

University of North Georgia
Admissions Imaging Center
PO Box 1358
Gainesville, GA 30503-1358

Need Assistance?

E-Mail Phone
Blue Ridge Campus 706-946-5462
Cumming Campus 470-239-3105
Dahlonega Campus 706-864-1800
Gainesville Campus 678-717-3641
Oconee Campus 706-310-6201

UNG follows Section 508 Standards and WCAG 2.0 for web accessibility. If you require the content on this web page in another format, please contact the ADA Coordinator.
Please note that some of the images and videos on our site may have been taken before social distancing, face coverings and restricted gatherings were required.

Back to Top