Back to Top
Skip to Site Search Skip to Utility Nav Skip to Top Nav Skip to Left Nav Skip to Content
Close Main Menu

Hardship Withdrawal

If a student is unable to successfully complete a semester due to a physical, mental, emotional, or psychological condition, he or she may request a hardship withdrawal through the Dean of Students. Students may request a hardship withdrawal when the emergency or situation they are experiencing makes it impossible to continue in the course(s) for which he/she is registered. 

Before requesting a withdrawal, students need to understand the following:

  • Hardship withdrawals can only be requested after the official withdrawal/drop period (after the midpoint).  A student wanting to withdraw before mid-term must follow the regular withdrawal procedure as outlined in the previous section. (See Student-initiated withdrawals prior to the semester midpoint)
  • As a general rule, students are not eligible for hardship withdrawals in courses in which they have completed the course requirements (e.g., sat for the final exam or submitted the final project/paper/portfolio).
  • Hardship withdrawals are typically processed as total or complete withdrawals from the university. Partial withdrawals must be approved by the Dean of Students who requires substantial supporting documentation from a qualified medical or other appropriate professional. Required documentation must demonstrate how a student’s particular situation impacted some, but not all, courses. There is no monetary refund for a partial withdrawal.
  • A complete withdrawal from the university will qualify the student for a pro-rated refund if the withdrawal date is still within the allowable period in semester. Pro-rated refunds do not continue through the entire semester. With that in mind, all students who request a hardship withdrawal are instructed to contact Financial Aid and the Bursar to be informed about changes to their accounts, if any.
    • Students must meet the Standards of Academic Progress (SAP) in order to receive financial aid for future terms. Standards of Academic Progress is measured by having a completion rate of at least 67% of classes attempted, maintaining a 2.0 grade point average or better, and not going over the maximum hours for their program. If a student is not meeting these standards, the student may submit an appeal with the Financial Aid office.
  • Hardship withdrawals are processed according to the last date of class attendance. A Dean of Students or academic administrator will contact instructors to establish the last date of class attendance.
  • A student who files, or attempts to file a fraudulent application for a medical withdrawal to avoid a failing grade or disciplinary action will be considered in violation of the University of North Georgia Student Code of Conduct and subject to conduct charges.

To request a withdrawal based on a medical condition or other hardship, please complete the hardship withdrawal request (that includes uploading supporting documentation).

Deans of Students review and make decisions regarding requests submitted by students who are currently enrolled or were enrolled in the immediate past semester. Students who are submitting requests related to terms beyond the current or immediate past semester are reviewed by those in academic administration. Students may be asked for an interview as part of the process. All decisions are communicated to students via UNG email accounts and appropriate administrative offices are notified. 

Note: If it is determined by the Dean of Students that a student is not capable of completing this process, the student’s parent, guardian, or legal next of kin may act on behalf of the student.

UNG follows Section 508 Standards and WCAG 2.0 for web accessibility. If you require the content on this web page in another format, please contact the ADA Coordinator.
Please note that some of the images and videos on our site may have been taken before social distancing, face coverings and restricted gatherings were required.

Back to Top