Back to Top
Skip to Site Search Skip to Utility Nav Skip to Top Nav Skip to Left Nav Skip to Content
Close Main Menu

Maintain Your Non-Immigrant Status

It is extremely important to maintain your non-immigrant status while you are in the United States. Visa holders are responsible for complying with the terms and conditions of their visa status. Also, in order to be eligible for status benefits, such as on-campus employment, travel endorsements, program extensions, practical training, etc., you must maintain your status. It is ultimately your responsibility to maintain your status, but your International Student and Scholar Advisor is here to help!

How Do I Maintain My Status?

  • Pursue a full course of study every semester.
    • Undergraduate students: 12 credit hours/semester
    • Graduate students: 9 credit hours/semester
  • Do not drop a class and become less than a full-time student without talking to and receiving prior approval from your international student and scholar advisor
  • Make normal progress toward completing your degree before the program end date on your I-20/DS-2019.
  • Make sure that your documents stay valid! You should always keep a valid and unexpired passport, I-94, and I-20/DS-2019. Passports should be valid for six months into the future at all times.
  • Notify and set up an appointment with your international student and scholar advisor if you will complete your program earlier than the end date on your I-20/DS-2019.
  • Only engage in authorized employment.
  • Abide by the grace period rules for remaining in the U.S. after your program ends.
    • F-1 Visa Holders: 60 days
    • J-1 Visa Holders: 30 days

Tell your advisor if you:

  • move and change your physical/mailing address
  • change your major
  • transition degrees (example: change from Associates to Bachelors)
  • obtain permanent residency
  • change your name
  • are not returning to the university
  • are graduating
  • are interested in finding a job
  • would like to participate in an internship

Have Questions?

If you have any questions, please contact your advisor or an International Student Coordinator at

UNG follows Section 508 Standards and WCAG 2.0 for web accessibility. If you require the content on this web page in another format, please contact the ADA Coordinator.
Please note that some of the images and videos on our site may have been taken before social distancing, face coverings and restricted gatherings were required.

Back to Top