Back to Top
Skip to Site Search Skip to Utility Nav Skip to Top Nav Skip to Left Nav Skip to Content
Close Main Menu

Updating Forms

Forms I-20 or DS-2019 should never be thrown away as they may be asked for when applying for various future benefits. When these forms are updated, old versions should be filed away for safe keeping.

It is crucial that students and scholars keep the information on these forms accurate and up to date. 

Replacing Documents

To replace your I-20, you should complete a request through the online portal. To replace your DS-2019, you should email or your assigned advisor.

Updating Your DS-2019

Any changes to your DS-2019 should be discussed with your International Student and Scholar Advisor. If you do not have an advisor, you can start begin setting up an advising appointment.

Updating Your I-20

Campus Change

It is important for international students to remember that they must notify their international student/scholar advisor before changing campuses at UNG. If your campus location changes, you must obtain a new I-20.

Prior to obtaining a new I-20, your campus change must be reflected in your Banner account. Please update your Banner account prior to requesting a new I-20. Once your Banner account has been updated, please complete the campus change application in the online portal.

Major Change

It is important to remember that what is in your Banner account should reflect what is on your I-20. If you change majors within Banner, you should also complete the major change application for in the online portal to update your I-20. You have 10 days from when your request to change majors is approved in Banner to obtain your new I-20.

Program Extension

Many students do not complete their program by their anticipated graduation date or program end date. In order to remain in status, if you are not transitioning degrees, you must extend your program prior to the program end date listed on your current I-20.

Extensions will not be given to students that are making less than a 2.0 cumulative GPA at the time of application, since failure to maintain a 2.0 GPA suggests that the student is not making "Normal Progress" in his/her studies.

In order to extend your program, you will need to complete the program extension application in online portal.

Dropping Below Full Course Load

International students on an F-1 visa are required to maintain a full course load (12-credit-hours for undergraduates, 9-credit-hours for graduates) each fall and spring semester. International students are not required to maintain a full course load during the summer. 

There may be special circumstances where you can not take a full course load. These options include the following situations:

  1. a medical condition or injury prevents you from attending class for an extended period of time
  2. it is your first semester at UNG and you need to be enrolled in ESL courses (ESL courses do not count toward your 12-credit-hours)
  3. it is your final semester at UNG and you do not need a full course load to complete requirements for graduation

Regardless of the circumstance, you must be approved, by your international student advisor, to drop below a full course load prior to withdrawing from your classes.

If you are struggling with a medical illness or condition, as in option number 1, please complete the Medical Reduced Course Load Form.

If you need less than a full course load as a result of options number 2 or 3, please complete the Academic Reduced Course Load Form.

Internal Transfers/Change of Education Level

F-1 students are admitted to the United States to complete a specific educational program. If a student decides to pursue a subsequent program at the same school, the student must comply with regulations and procedures to remain in status when continuing from one education level to another.

You must complete the process to obtain a new I-20 in order to maintain your F-1 status if you are changing education levels (doing an internal transfer) or completing a degree to begin a new one. You obtain a new I-20 by completing the necessary steps.

  • If you are transitioning from one degree to a higher degree level (for example, from an associate degree to a bachelor's degree), you must obtain a new I-20 before the end of the initial program.
  • If you are changing from a Language Training program to a degree-seeking program (associate or bachelor), you must obtain a new I-20 before the end of the initial program.
  • If you are completing one degree at one level (example: graduating with a Bachelor's degree) and pursuing another degree at a different level (example: Master's degree), you have 60 days from your program completion date to obtain your new I-20. Enrollment in your new program must begin at the start of the next semester.
  • If you are completing degree requirements and beginning a new degree at the same education level (example: dual Bachelor's degrees), you must obtain a new I-20 for your second program within 60 days of your current program completion date.

What are the steps to change from an associate to a bachelor degree or from a bachelor to an associate?

  1. Review the Internal Transfer at UNG website to see if you are eligible for an internal transfer to a bachelor degree.
  2. Once you have been approved by the Registrar for a transition, you will need to complete the change of education level application in the online portal in order to update the information on your I-20. You will be required to submit the following documents in your application.
    1. Proof of financial support: Proof of financial support can be demonstrated with an original bank statement or letter from the bank.
    2. Financial Affidavit (PDF): The amount of financial support that you will need to prove varies by degree and can be found in the financial affidavit.

What are the steps to change from a bachelor to a graduate degree?

Students wishing to pursue a graduate degree at UNG will need to go through the Graduate Admissions process. If you are accepted into a graduate program, you will be issued a new I-20 as part of that process.

Leaving UNG

Transfer Out

If you wish to transfer to another U.S. institution, you must complete the appropriate steps in order to ensure your SEVIS record is transferred properly. If you are planning to transfer out, please complete the transfer out application in the online portal.

Departure from the U.S.

If you are planning to depart the U.S., it is important that we accurately process your SEVIS record to prevent issues if you plan to return to the U.S. in the future. It is important that you notify us by completing the departure notification form in the online portal.

Early Program Completion

If you will be graduating or returning home sooner than the end date listed on your I-20, it is important for you to update this information with your advisor by completing the Early Completion Request in the online portal.

Please Note: Once your I-20 has been updated with an earlier end date, it cannot be extended.

UNG follows Section 508 Standards and WCAG 2.0 for web accessibility. If you require the content on this web page in another format, please contact the ADA Coordinator.
Please note that some of the images and videos on our site may have been taken before social distancing, face coverings and restricted gatherings were required.

Back to Top