Back to Top
Skip to Site Search Skip to Utility Nav Skip to Top Nav Skip to Left Nav Skip to Content
Close Main Menu

Pre-Arrival Information

Congratulations on your acceptance to the University of North Georgia! Choose your student status below to request an I-20. If you have not yet applied and been accepted, please view the Admissions Options to get started with the process for applying at UNG.

Requesting an I-20

  • The Center for Global Engagement will assist you with receiving the I-20 after you have been accepted for admission to UNG.
  • All accepted students (both new and transfer students) need to submit the following to request an I-20:
    • Valid passport
    • Financial Affidavit
    • Supporting Bank Documentation
      • $29,000 for associates, $39,000 for bachelors or $48,500 for graduate students
      • Must be in English
      • Does not have to be in U.S. dollars
      • Must be issued/printed within the last six months
      • Can be an official bank statement or statement from bank on signed letterhead
      • Name on the account must match the sponsor signing the affidavit
      • Must be considered liquid assets (checking, savings)

Are you an F-1 transfer student that has been admitted to UNG?

You will want to start communicating with the international student advisor at your current institution about transferring your SEVIS record to UNG. It’s important that you start this process as soon as possible.

Follow the steps below to start the process of obtaining an I-20 from UNG.

  1. Print a Transfer Clearance Form (PDF). Complete the top section and then send to your current international student advisor.
  2. Print and submit the following documents to the Center for Global Engagement.

Are you new to F-1 status?

A Form I-20 is required to apply for an F-1 visa to attend school in the U.S. Follow the steps below to start the process of obtaining an I-20 from UNG.

Print and submit the following documents to the Center for Global Engagement.

Receiving Your I-20

New students: Once you receive your I-20, please review to make sure everything is accurate. Since the I-20 is used to apply for your visa, but does not guarantee a visa, we strongly suggest that you wait to purchase your airplane ticket until you receive a visa. It is important that you plan to arrive no sooner than 30 days before the program start date listed on your I-20.

The next step is to apply for the F-1 visa. Contact CGE if you have any questions, and we look forward to seeing you in person.

Applying for a Visa

Contact your nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate for specific details on how to obtain a visa. The wait time to receive a visa appointment will vary by location; therefore, you are strongly encouraged to apply early. Be prepared to present the following items at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate:

  • SEVIS Form DS-2019 (J-1) or Form I-20 (F-1)
  • Nonimmigrant Visa Application(Form DS-160) needs to be completed before the appointment.  Bring the DS-160 confirmation receipt to the appointment.
  • One passport size photograph
  • Evidence of financial support (These should be the same documents you submitted for admission into UNG.)
  • Passport (valid at least 6 months beyond your program start date)
  • Proof of English-language proficiency
  • University of North Georgia admission/acceptance letter
  • SEVIS fee payment receipt (must be paid at least three business days before going to the embassy)
  • Any additional application materials required by the embassy or consulate in your home country. We recommend that you contact the embassy or consulate prior to your interview to ensure you have everything you need.
Here are some helpful application tips - 10 Points to Remember When Applying for a Student Visa

Planning for your Arrival


Upon arrival in the U.S., you must be prepared to show the inspections officer the following documents:

  • A valid passport
  • F-1 or J-1 visa entry stamp (unless exempt)
  • Original UNG admissions letter
  • Original financial support documentation
  • Form I-20 or DS-2019 issued by UNG


All international students are required to have international student health insurance. This will be included with your tuition and fees on your BANNER account unless you prove that you have sufficient insurance already.


Like many other smaller cities in the United States, there are few to no options for public transportation around the UNG campuses. Students who sign up for airport transportation for the Dahlonega campus upon arrival and departure will receive transportation from Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport to the Dahlonega campus during the pre-scheduled times as arranged by CGE. Students and scholars are responsible for finding a method of transportation to and from class and any mandatory orientations. There are a few public transportation options, but they can be costly and do not service a wide area of the region. Many students choose to obtain a Georgia driver's license during their time in the United States.


On-campus, residential housing is only available on the Dahlonega campus of UNG. If you are interested in attending the Gainesville, Cumming, or Oconee campuses, you will live off-campus. While the Center for Global Engagement (CGE) staff cannot be responsible for securing housing for you, the Office of Residence Life has put together a list of resources for students interested in off-campus housing. If your primary campus is Gainesville, Cumming, or Oconee, please do not secure off-campus housing until after you have registered for New Student Orientation.

Classes and Degree Programs

Not all degree programs are offered on all campuses. Please refer to the Degrees & Programs Listing to see which degrees are offered on which campus. You may need to take classes on other campuses or complete an internal transfer in order to complete your degree. In addition, you are not guaranteed a class schedule at particular times or locations.

UNG follows Section 508 Standards and WCAG 2.0 for web accessibility. If you require the content on this web page in another format, please contact the ADA Coordinator.
Please note that some of the images and videos on our site may have been taken before social distancing, face coverings and restricted gatherings were required.

Back to Top