Back to Top
Skip to Site Search Skip to Utility Nav Skip to Top Nav Skip to Left Nav Skip to Content
Close Main Menu

Dual and Joint Enrollment Admission Requirements and Application Procedures

High school juniors and seniors, including home-school students, have access to a number of opportunities for enhancing their high school curriculum and to earn college credit prior to their high school graduation.

Dual Enrollment

You can take college courses to simultaneously satisfy your high school graduation requirements while earning college credit. If you are enrolled in an eligible Georgia high school, you may qualify to participate in the  Move on When Ready (MOWR) program.

Move on When Ready (MOWR)

Move on When Ready provides eligible high school students the opportunity to enroll in college or university prior to their high school graduation and to take courses which result in both college and high school credit. Tuition, books and mandatory fees are paid for by the Move on When Ready program.

Consider applying for UNG’s Honors Program if your GPA is a least 3.5 and standardized test scores meet one of the following:
  • Evidence Evidence-Based Reading and Writing + Math score on the new SAT of at least 1200
  • Combined critical reading and math score on the old SAT of at least 1150
  • ACT composite score of at least 25

Joint Enrollment

You may supplement and enhance your high school curriculum by enrolling in college courses as a joint enrollment student. Courses taken through joint enrollment result in college but not high school credit.  You are responsible for your tuition, but mandatory fees are waived. If you wish to attend as a joint enrollment student, you must meet the MOWR requirements.

Frequently Asked Questions

For your convenience, we've put a list of FAQs at the bottom of this web page.

Requirements Move on When Ready

  • You must be entering your junior or senior year of high school at the time of enrollment. Cadets must be at least 17 years of age at the time of enrollment.
  • You must be enrolled in an eligible public or private high school, including unaccredited home study or home school program. Students in unaccredited home school programs must also meet bachelor's degree admissions home school requirements and submit a Georgia Home School Declaration of Intent form.
  • You must present a cumulative grade point average of 3.25 or higher in your Required High School Curriculum (RHSC) coursework.
  • You must present minimum SAT score of 970 combined critical reading and math with a minimum of 480 critical reading and 440 math, or ACT composite of 20 with minimum scores of 20 English and 18 math.  
  • If you have taken the new, redesigned SAT, you must present at least a 26 on the reading section and a 480 on the math section.  These scores will be converted to the old SAT equivalents to determine the combined Critical Reading + Math score required for admission under dual enrollment.  You may view what your converted SAT scores would be by using SAT's Score Converter.  The combined, converted Critical Reading and Math score must total 970 in addition to meeting individual score requirements.  If you experience difficulty in determining your redesigned SAT equivalents, please contact our office so that an Admissions Officer may assist you.  Contact information for each of our five campuses can be found on the left-hand side of this page.
  • At this time, the University of North Georgia will not superscore current and redesigned SAT test scores due to variation in design and content.
  • You must take courses from the approved courses list.  If you are an out-of-state student, you should consult with your guidance counselor on courses you may take at UNG that will count toward high school graduation.
  • You must enroll in a bachelor's degree program at UNG.

What costs does Move on When Ready cover?

  • MOWR will pay the standard tuition rate for bachelor's degree courses at UNG. 
  • UNG waives all mandatory fees for MOWR students. That is a huge savings over what other UNG students pay.
  • MOWR will pay for your books which amounts to about $100-$150 per course.
  • You will pay any course-specific fees, such as lab fees.
  • The credit hours for which you receive MOWR funding will not be included in the HOPE scholarship combined paid-hours limit.
  • If enrolled full-time, and you wish to live in a residence hall on the Dahlonega campus, you will pay for room and meals.

Selecting a Campus Location

You may start in a bachelor's degree program on any campus: Cumming, Dahlonega, Gainesville or Oconee. You are not guaranteed a class schedule at particular times or locations. 

Application Deadlines

Application Deadlines for All Other Applicants

We must have your completed application for admission and all supporting documents prior to the deadline. Note that it is very likely we will meet capacity BEFORE the deadline and will immediately stop accepting students. Completing your application earlier is better. Applications and documents received after the posted deadline may still be considered if capacity has not yet been met.

  • Spring semester (begins in January): November 1 (All deadlines are at close of business) 
  • Summer semester: April 1 (All deadlines are at close of business) 
  • Fall Semester
    • Priority Deadline: May 1 (All deadlines are at close of business) 
    • If capacity has not been met deadline: July 1 (All deadlines are at close of business) 

Applying to UNG

Application Process
Apply for admission online: GAFutures. If you cannot apply online, download a paper application
Ask your high school to send us your official high school transcript, either directly from the high school to us in a sealed envelope, or electronically through GAfutures.  If you took any college course, submit an official transcript from each institution you attended. We must receive the transcripts in sealed envelopes directly from the institutions. You may not omit any institution you attended. If you're attending a non-accredited home-school program, you must either submit an Admissions Portfolio, or the SAT II subject test with minimum scores:  English Writing - 520; World History - 540; Literature - 530; Biology - 480; Math 1C or IIC - 500; Chemistry - 540 - or Physics - 590; American History & Social Studies - 560.
If your SAT or ACT scores are not on your high school transcript, have your scores sent to UNG by The College Board or ACT. Note that SAT or ACT scores indicated on a non-accredited home-school transcript or portfolio will not be accepted as official.
Submit your verification of lawful presence documentation if you wish to pay in-state tuition.  This is not required if you pay out-of-state tuition.  Out-of-state tuition is much higher than in-state tuition.
(For MOWR applicants only) Submit a completed MOWR Student Participation Agreement Form.
Two weeks after you complete steps 1-5, check your application status to ensure we have received all required documents to evaluate your application.
Complete the MOWR application required by GSFC to process program funding.

Mailing Documents

Mail Documents for associate or bachelor's degree to:

University of North Georgia
Admissions Imaging Center
PO Box 1358
Gainesville, GA 30503-1358

Need Assistance?

Blue Ridge Campus 706-946-5462
Cumming Campus 706-864-1800
Dahlonega Campus 706-864-1800
Gainesville Campus 678-717-3641
Oconee Campus 678-717-3641

Your dual enrollment academic advisors by campus are:

Oconee Campus:   Melissa Adams

Gainesville Campus: Charles Bell

Cumming Campus:  Imani Cabell

Dahlonega Campus:  Derek Sutton

Frequently Asked Questions

Q:  I won't receive my SAT/ACT scores until after the UNG application deadline.  What happens now?
A:  You have the option to take the Institutional SAT on our Dahlonega Campus, or the Institutional ACT on our Gainesville and Oconee Campuses.  The exams are offered every couple of weeks.  Note that scores from institutional exams are normally only good for admission at that institution.  Please go to our testing office web site for detailed information.

Q:  Where will the college course credit I earn transfer?
A:  To most four-year colleges and universities.

Q:  What courses are available for me to take?
A:  Any courses to which UNG students have access, and for which you meet the course prerequisites.  Please note that MOWR will only pay for courses from the approved course list.

Q:  After I graduate from high school, how do I become a student at UNG?
A:  To continue at UNG after high school graduation, you must complete a MOWR Intent Form by the specified deadline date for the term and campus you wish to be considered. You do not need to complete a new application for admission or submit an application fee. Please note that admission to a bachelor’s degree program is highly competitive and that admission is based on that year’s applicant pool. If you are ineligible for a bachelor’s degree program, you will automatically be considered for the associate degree pathway with the opportunity to internally transfer to a bachelor’s degree program at a later time.

Q:  How do I schedule my classes?
A:  You work with your high school guidance counselor and your UNG dual enrollment advisor (see list in above section).

Q:  How many courses can I take?
A:  You may take as many courses as you like; however, MOWR will pay for up to 15 credit hours.

Q:  Do my dual enrollment courses count against my HOPE scholarship cap after I graduate from high school?
A:  No.  HOPE covers 127 credit hours for bachelor's degree students and 90 credit hours for associate degree students.  The courses you take while dual enrolled will not reduce your cap.

Q:  Can I dual enroll in the MOWR program at more than one college/university simultaneously?
A:  Yes.  You must apply for admission to each institution and submit a separate Move on When Ready Student Participation Agreement for each institution.  MOWR will pay for mandatory fees, tuition and books at each institution.

UNG follows Section 508 Standards and WCAG 2.0 for web accessibility. If you require the content on this web page in another format, please contact the ADA Coordinator.

Back to Top