Back to Top
Skip to Site Search Skip to Utility Nav Skip to Top Nav Skip to Left Nav Skip to Content
Close Main Menu

Admissions Overview

(Music playing, while UNG and Cottrell graphics flash)

(Music stops screen displays the following text, UNG Mike Cottrell College of Business University of North Georiga Strong Graduates. Strong Communities.)

(Screen changes and displays the following text, Admissions Policy)

Hello and welcome to the Mike Cottrell College of Business here at the University of North Georgia. My name is Grayson Anthony and I'm a Business Management major.

And my name is Emile Phommavongsy and I am also a Business Management major.

Over the next few minutes, we'll explain how to navigate your way to the graduation with a bachelor's of business administration, which is the B.B.A. for short, as well as the bachelor's of applied science, which is the B.A.S. for short.

The Mike Cottrell College of Business at U.N.G. has requirements beyond just admission. All students in good standing may be part of the Mike Cottrell College of Business, but you need to meet a few additional requirements to take upper level classes.

First, you need to understand what upper level or upper division classes are.

That's easy. Any course that's a 3000 or 4000 level class, right?

That's right. So, if you're an Accounting, Finance, Information Systems, Management, Marketing, or Technology/Management major or if you're trying to take any classes with a 3000 or 4000 level class, you first must be admitted before you can take these classes. Computer Science, Entrepreneurship, and Paralegal classes do not require this admission. I know what these classes are, when do I take them?

You actually can't take upper division classes until you've completed 40 credit hours with a G.P.A. of 2.5 or higher. In your plans of study, you have to complete all the classes considered prerequisites in the B.B.A. or B.A.S. or when you finish an associate's degree. Make sure to talk to your advisor when you're ready to start upper division classes.

Also, if you're moving from an associate's to a bachelor's level from any of the access campuses like Gainesville, Cumming, or Oconee to the Dahlonega campus then you first have to declare a bachelor level degree to take classes on the Dahlonega campus. This means that you'll need to complete the internal transfer that's available in Banner. You'll also have to have a minimum of 30 completed credit hours, as well as 2.0 G.P.A. to transfer degree levels or campuses.

That's right. Don't forget to submit an internal transfer form before the priority deadline the semester before you plan to take your upper division classes to be able to pre-register. It's also really important to make good grades in your 2000 level classes like Accounting I and II, Macroeconomics, Macroeconomics, and the brief Calculus, so you can meet or beat the required 2.0 G.P.A. to transfer degree levels.

So let's say you've wrapped up your associate's degree and taken all of your prerequisites for the upper division, how do I get admitted to upper division in business?

That's fairly easy, so to be admitted to upper division business classes, you'll need to have made a C or higher in Accounting I, Accounting II, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, and your mathematics course. You must also have completed a minimum of 40 credit hours with a 2.5 G.P.A. or higher or have a 2.75 G.P.A. or higher based on the accounting, economics, and math courses required for your admission. Once that's done, then you have to be accepted or have changed to the bachelor's degree level in the Mike Cottrell College of Business.

Okay, I get that, but are there any exceptions to this?

Well, there's one major exception. Student with a last admission date of Summer 2016 or earlier are required to have a 2.1 G.P.A. or higher. Other than that, there are a few courses that require certain prerequisites, for instance, Intermediate Accounting I. In addition to the accounting and economics courses required to be admitted to upper division, you'll also need to take Principles of Finance as a pre- or co-requisite.

So, okay, I get that, but one last question, I heard someone in my class talk about internal transfers. What's the difference between an internal transfer and an admission to the upper division?

An internal transfer is when a student moves from the associate to the bachelor level or moves from the access campus to the Dahlonega campus. When a student does an internal transfer, they have to complete the appropriate forms with the Registrar's Office, have a minimum of 30 credit hours, and a G.P.A. of 2.0 to transfer degree levels, but even if you transfer up to the bachelor's level, it doesn't necessarily mean you are admitted to take upper division in business.

I see. Even if you're doing an internal transfer, you may not have these five required courses or have the 40 credit hours or a 2.5 G.P.A.

That's right.

Well, that's it. If you still have any questions, visit For more information, contact your advisor. There are professional advisors in the Mike Cottrell College of Business that are assigned to each campus so that they can help you out.

[Students] Thanks for watching.

UNG follows Section 508 Standards and WCAG 2.0 for web accessibility. If you require the content on this web page in another format, please contact the ADA Coordinator.

Back to Top