Back to Top
Skip to Site Search Skip to Utility Nav Skip to Top Nav Skip to Left Nav Skip to Content
Close Main Menu

OTP Frequently Asked Questions

Orientation Questions

Is orientation required?

Yes, in-person orientation is required for all new degree seeking freshmen and transfer students. In-person orientation is not required for readmit students. Refer to the Orientation Reservations page for more details.

How do I schedule my in-person orientation session?

Follow the instructions listed on the Orientation Reservation page.

Can I bring a guest?

Of course! While students learn about life at the University of North Georgia, family members and guests are invited to tour the campus and attend a special Parent and Family Orientation designed just for them. Parent and guest registration fees vary depending on your campus and session.

How much does it cost?

The cost to attend New Student Orientation varies based on your campus. Visit the Orientation Reservation page to get more information regarding the cost. Your orientation fee will be added to your student account when you reserve your session and is payable according to the methods of payment outlined by the Business Office. Parents and family members can reserve a space in the concurrent Parent and Family Orientation for an additional cost.  

What does the orientation fee cover?

The orientation fee for both students and their guests covers cost of printed materials, food, and other general expenses, such as orientation leader stipends. The fee for overnight orientation sessions also covers meals and housing for the students. Please note, the overnight Parent and Family Orientation fee does not cover lodging.

Can I change my orientation date?

If you need to change your orientation date, you must make the change prior to the cancellation date of your current reservation. You can make an orientation reservation change by logging back into your student banner account, going to the Orientation Reservation form on the student tab, and selecting the view orientation details option. Once viewing your reservation details, scroll to the bottom of the page to click the modify reservation button. This will lead you through the steps to update your reservation. Please note you can only modify your reservation one time.

Refer to the Orientation Policies page for additional policy information regarding cancellations and refunds.
Do I have to stay the whole time?

Yes, students are required to participate in the entire orientation program. We are committed to helping each new student make a successful transition to our university and attending orientation is an essential part of this process. During orientation we will cover a lot of important information that you need to know!

I can't attend orientation on any of the dates provided. What should I do?

Please contact the OTP office at

General OTP Questions

What is OTP at UNG?

In a nutshell, the Orientation & Transition Programs (OTP) is a collection of programs and activities that are designed for new students and scheduled throughout the academic year. OTP coordinates a number of experiences, including New Student Orientation, Convocation/Weeks of Welcome, Family Day, and various Student Success Workshops. More specifically, OTP's mission is to help new students become more prepared and excited for college-level academics and to facilitate relationships between students, faculty, staff, and the university.

Where do I go to purchase books?

The UNG bookstore, of course! Campus Connection is your on-campus resource for reserving, renting, and buying textbooks, purchasing school supplies, and finding the perfect fit in Nighthawk apparel. To review campus textbook lists, learn more about using your financial aid refund in the bookstore, or peruse the online catalog, visit the Campus Connection website.

How can I obtain a parking decal?

Parking permits are issued to students in the UNG Parking Services office. To obtain your decal, you must first register your vehicle using the Parking Services Website.

I have questions about financial aid. Where can I go for help?

All financial aid questions should be directed to the financial aid office on your home campus

How can I get involved on campus?

Getting involved on campus (joining clubs, playing intramural sports, writing for the university paper, conducting research with a professor, etc.) is one of the best decisions a new student can make. In fact, it may sound counterintuitive, but the more you're involved in campus activities, the better you tend to do academically. That's because getting involved creates opportunities for you to build relationships with other students and faculty/staff members and can help you feel more connected to the university. Not to mention, your time-management skills will definitely improve as you learn to balance multiple on- and off-campus obligations. 

There are lots of ways to get involved on campus, so be on the lookout for program, event, and club flyers posted around campus. These departments always have something going on: 

How do I locate information about LGBT student services?
The Office of Multicultural Student Affairs coordinates LGBT information and resources.
Where can I go if I’m feeling overwhelmed or stressed out?

Going to college is a big deal, so it's natural to feel stressed and overwhelmed. The important thing is to not let these feelings overtake you and derail your college journey. If you're feeling "stuck," confused, afraid, anxious, depressed, or are concerned about a friend who might be feeling that way, please let us help before things become unmanageable. The Dahlonega, Gainesville, Cumming, and Oconee campuses each have Student Counseling Centers that offer free and completely confidential counseling services to current students. Visit the Student Counseling website to learn more and make an appointment.

Does UNG provide students with access to computer hardware or software?

Yes! Once students pay their technology fee, UNG offers a wide variety of discounted software. In addition, students have access to Office 365 and antivirus software at no additional cost. Computer labs are also available for students to use on all campuses. 

Where can I find out about on-campus jobs?

On-campus jobs are a great way to earn money while gaining valuable work experience. An added bonus is that they tend to be in convenient locations and offer flexible schedules that can accommodate your class times. Many campus jobs are available through the Federal Work Study program, for which you might be eligible (check your financial aid award to be sure). 

The Career Services office maintains a list of on- and off-campus job listings through the UNG Job Board.
What kind of security do we have on campus?

The University of North Georgia's Department of Public Safety (University Police) is on the job 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.  All uniformed officers are sworn certified police officers, and whether on routine patrol, responding to emergency calls for assistance, or simply providing information about our campus, they are here to ensure that your experience on campus is a safe one.

How do I change my home campus or degree level?

This is considered an internal transfer. An application needs to be submitted as a part of the internal transfer process.

What if I want to change my major before orientation?
Please contact the Admissions Office to update your student record.

Registration and Class Questions

How can I prepare for class registration ?

Class registration procedures and the path to graduation will be reviewed in detail during Orientation.  Prepare yourself for those important discussions by thinking through scheduling considerations and becoming familiar with important terms like academic advisor, core curriculum, and degree transition. Students who do not attend orientation are also encouraged to review this information, as it includes instructions for self-registration using BannerWeb.

How will my AP or CLEP credits affect my course registration?

You will have an opportunity during orientation to adjust your schedule based on your anticipated test scores.  Please refer to this Academic Affairs website to review UNG’s Credit by Examination policy.

On which campus will my classes be located? Can I take classes on each campus?

Your classes will most likely be at the campus for which you submitted an enrollment confirmation. While at Orientation, you are welcome to register for classes held at any of the four commuter campuses—Blue Ridge, Cumming, Gainesville, or Oconee—provided there are seats available.  If you do schedule classes at more than one campus, be sure to include adequate travel and parking time. 

I don't like the schedule I created at Orientation. How do I change it?

In general, students may change their schedules themselves using UNG BannerWeb, similar to the registration process you experienced at orientation. In order to change your schedule, however, registration must be open. The Registration Dates determine your next opportunity for schedule adjustment. If you need a how-to register refresher, check out the Registration Instructions on the Registrar’s website.

Please keep in mind that changes to your schedule can affect your eligibility for financial aid and your progress towards graduation. Before changing your schedule, we strongly urge you to speak with a financial aid officer to ensure your financial aid award won’t be jeopardized by an increased or reduced course load. You should also speak with an academic advisor to review your program of study and make sure you’re still on track to graduate in your intended time-frame. 

Can I take online classes?

Online courses are a great option for students who excel in self-moderated, online work, and/or who cannot find the in-person core curriculum class they need. UNG offers two types of online courses: 

  • “UNG Online” classes are taught by UNG faculty on one of our five campuses and follow the standard UNG academic calendar. You don’t have to do anything special to be eligible to register for these classes, as long as you meet the class pre-requisites.    
  • “eCore” classes are taught by other faculty within the University System of Georgia and have slightly different start/end dates than UNG classes. 

    If you think you might take an online class, it’s very important that you read the information on the Distance Learning website.  You must complete the eCore introduction quiz in order to be eligible to register for eCore classes.  (It can take up to 24 hours to process your score and add the “student attribute” that enables eCore registration in BannerWeb.) Here’s the link to the quiz, via the University System of Georgia eCore website.

Note:  UNG does not offer Learning Support (LS) courses online. As such, students with LS requirements who are interested in online coursework should plan to enroll in a campus-based LS course. Learning Support courses cannot be delayed to future semesters; please see the Learning Support website for more information. 

Am I guaranteed classes at my preferred campus?

At this time, acceptance to UNG does not guarantee a class schedule at particular times or at the preferred campus. Although we will do our best to schedule classes that meet students’ scheduling preferences, please understand that some classes, particularly those held at peak times such as 9, 10, or 11 a.m., will already be filled to capacity by the time students attend orientation.

Flexibility while scheduling classes is key. There will be other open registration periods prior to the start of each term, during which students are welcome to change their schedule to better fit their needs. For example, the designated drop/add period at the beginning of each semester allows you to rearrange classes, provided seats are available. We will discuss open registration and drop/add in detail at orientation.

I'm not doing well in one of my classes. How do I withdraw from it?

All schedule adjustments happen via UNG BannerWeb. Log in then choose:  Student Tab > Nighthawk Registration > Register for a Course, Add, Drop, or Withdrawal.

Important Note:  Withdrawing from a class can delay your progress towards graduation and might even affect your eligibility for financial aid.  (Most awards require you to complete at least 67% of the courses you attempt.)  If you’re considering a withdrawal, be sure to speak with your advisor and a financial aid officer so that you can make the most informed decision possible. Remember, too, that withdrawing from a class before the semester midpoint will result in a W. Withdrawing after the session midpoint results in a WF, or withdrawal failing.  Check the Academic Calendar to determine the withdrawal deadline for full, first, and second session classes. Check out the full withdrawal policy.

Where can I go if I'm feeling behind in a class and need academic assistance?

If you’re falling behind on your coursework or are having trouble understanding class material, please let your instructor know—as soon as possible. Our goal is to help you be successful, but we can’t do that if we don’t know you’re struggling. Instructors are available during their offices hours (check your syllabus for those details) or by scheduled appointment. 

Each campus also has (free!) Tutoring Services with labs that are staffed by several professional and/or peer tutors in a variety of subjects.

What happens if I get accused of cheating?

Academic dishonesty is a serious offense, and the University of North Georgia treats it as such. The Student Code of Conduct outlines the procedures after a violation and identifies the rights of accused students.

BannerWeb FAQs

How do I access Banner Web?

You can access Banner Web anytime, anywhere as long as you have internet access and have activated your account.

How do I log into Banner Web?

All students must login using their UNG network ID and password

  • Use Find My Username to determine your UNG login credentials. 
  • UNG Network ID
    • First initial of your first name, middle initial (leave out if you have none), first 4 letters of your last name and the last 4 numbers of your student ID (900#)
      • JPSMIT1234 = John Paul Smith 900551234
      • Initial Password for new UNG students – Last 4 digits of your social security number and the 2 digit day of your birthday
        • If you were born between the 1st and 9th, use a 0 as the first digit of your day of birth
        • Enter 4 zeroes if you did not provide your social security number to the university
How do I find my Student ID number?

Use Find My Username to determine your UNG Student ID number (begins with 900). Your Student ID can also be found on your UNG acceptance letter

How do I view my registration times and holds?*

Login to BannerWeb and select “Student” menu → “Registration” → “Check for Registration Time & Holds” → Select a Term from the drop down menu, then click “Submit” to view.

*NOTE: You must resolve any holds (parking tickets, library fines, etc.) on your account prior to registration.
How do I find the name and location of my faculty advisor?

First, log into your BannerWeb account. On the “Student” menu, select “Students Records.” Then select “Student Tranguid.” You will find the name and contact information for your faculty advisor under “Academic Information” (towards the bottom of the page). 

How do I search for classes to add to my schedule?

From the UNG Homepage (any student)

Select “Academics” → “Courses & Registration” → “Course Schedule” → “Select Term” → “Select “Part of Term” → Filter by Subject code, course number, campus, etc.

From within BannerWeb

Look Up Classes:

  • Select “Student” menu → Select “Registration” tab → Select “Look-up Classes” tab then select a term from the drop down menu and click “Submit”  → Select one or more subjects by using the <Ctrl> key then select  “Course Search,” or if you want to conduct a more detailed search, select “Advanced Search” to view classes OR

Available Course Quickcheck:

  • If you know the four letter name and appropriate class number (such as ENGL 1101) select “Student” menu → Select “Registration” tab → Select Term → Select “Available Course Quickcheck” tab → Select a Campus and Part of Term from the drop down menus → Enter the course subject and code into the boxes → Select “Open Only” or “All Sections” to view courses.
    • To find all of the classes for a specific subject, leave the code box blank. Placing a % sign in both columns will show you all of the classes on the campus(s) for the term(s) selected.
How do I register for classes?*

For students who can self-register:

For students with Learning Support requirements, you must adhere to the following steps:

*NOTE: You must resolve any holds (parking tickets, library fines, etc.) on your account prior to registration.

How do I drop classes during the drop/add period?*

Drop/add is the short period at the beginning of each new semester during which students are permitted to drop and/or add classes without penalty. For the specific dates, please refer to the “Academic Calendar” which can be found on the UNG main webpage under “Calendars”.

  • Go to "Student " menu → Select "Registration" tab →Select “Course Add, Drop, or Withdrawal” tab → Select “Drop” from the drop down menu boxes located in the same row as the intended course to drop then select “Submit Changes” 

*NOTE:  The change to your course schedule will be immediate.  Confirm that your request was successfully submitted by reviewing your Student Schedule.

How do I withdraw from a class after the drop/add period?**

If you can self-register and have no holds on your account, go to “Student” Menu in your BannerWeb account → Select “Registration” tab → Select “Course Add, Drop, or Withdrawal” → Select appropriate option from drop down box then select “Submit Changes”

If you need assisted registration or you have a hold on your account, complete a “Course Withdrawal Request Form” and submit it to the Registrar’s Office in person, via FAX, or U.S. Mail.

*NOTE:  The change to your course schedule will be immediate.  Confirm that your request was successfully submitted by reviewing your Student Tranguid; a W will appear in the Grade column of your class schedule.

NOTE: Withdrawing from a class after the midpoint of the semester will result in a grade of “WF,” which is calculated in your GPA as a grade of “F”. 

How do I change my major/minor?

First, log into your BannerWeb account. Select “Student” menu → Select “Change Degree (Level), Major, Minor, and/or Home Campus” tab and then follow the instructions you find listed on that page.

How do I check my financial aid status, eligibility, and award?
First, log into your BannerWeb account. Select the “Financial Aid” tab and then choose the appropriate option.
How do I view and/or make a payment on my student invoice?

First, log into your BannerWeb account. Select “Student” menu” → Select “Nighthawk Registration” → Select “Student Invoice” → Click “Continue”. To make a payment, click “Make a Payment” to pay online via web check or credit card.

If you need additional assistance, contact the following:

  • Dahlonega – 706-864-1409
  • Gainesville – 678-717-3780
  • Oconee – 706-310-6424
Or email:

UNG follows Section 508 Standards and WCAG 2.0 for web accessibility. If you require the content on this web page in another format, please contact the ADA Coordinator.

Back to Top