Back to Top
Skip to Site Search Skip to Utility Nav Skip to Top Nav Skip to Left Nav Skip to Content
Close Main Menu

On-Campus Employment

On-Campus Employment

All students must maintain a full course of study, be in good academic standing, have an Active SEVIS record, and have a valid social security number to work on campus.

On-campus employment takes place within the University of North Georgia and the paycheck is issued by the university. If you are applying for a job on campus and learn that an entity other than the university is going to pay you, you must receive approval from your International Student Advisor.

F-1 Students

F-1 students are permitted to work up to 20 hours per week during spring and fall semesters. Students may be eligible to work up to 40 hours per week during the summer, depending on the position. Students are not required to be enrolled in the summer in order to work on-campus; however, any student that works without being enrolled over the summer will be subject to FICA tax withholding.

J-1 Students

If your DS-2019 is issued by the University of North Georgia, then your ability to work on campus is the same as that of an F-1 student. However, if your DS-2019 is issued by another agency, then you must obtain written authorization from the program sponsor allowing you to work on the UNG campus.

Important Note: Working off campus is not permitted without permission and an updated I-20/DS-2019.
Finding a Job

To look for job postings, visit the Student Employment section of the Human Resources page, and look under the "How to Apply for a Job" header. Make sure that you choose "student" and the appropriate campus. As an international student, you should only be looking for jobs that are 20 hours/week or less, are on campus, and are listed as “institutional” positions. International students are not allowed to work in Federal Work Study positions. You can also visit your academic department, or other offices on campus, and inquire about any job openings.

I found a job! Now what?

In order to accept your on-campus employment, you will need to apply for a social security number if you do not already have one. You must also complete the required human resources paperwork.


Upon accepting employment and income, the following forms will need to be completed. Some of these forms are already in your Human Resources (HR) paperwork packet. Others you will need to request if the situation applies to you.

  1. Form I-9: This form is in your HR packet.
  2. Form W-4: Because the instructions on this form only apply to US citizens, you should use the following instructions.
    1. On line #3, check only "Single" marital status (regardless of your actual marital status).
    2. On line #5, claim only one allowance, unless you are a resident of Canada, Mexico, Japan, Korea, a US national (US Virgin Islands, American Samoa, or the Northern Marianas Islands), or a student from India.
    3. On line #7, do not claim "Exempt" withholding status.
  3. Form 8233: If a tax treaty between the US and your country provides an exemption from withholding from your wages, you should complete this form to claim the benefits of the treaty. You will also need to complete the Foreign Information Collection Form. You will need to ask HR for both of these forms, as they are not included in your packet. You can find out more information on tax treaties and whether your country has a tax treaty on the IRS website. 
  4. Form W-8BEN: This is a form that you will submit to your bank. You will need to ask the bank for the form. You should also use this form the claim a tax treaty benefit from the University before receiving payments from a scholarship or fellowship.

UNG follows Section 508 Standards and WCAG 2.0 for web accessibility. If you require the content on this web page in another format, please contact the ADA Coordinator.
Please note that some of the images and videos on our site may have been taken before social distancing, face coverings and restricted gatherings were required.

Back to Top