Back to Top
Skip to Site Search Skip to Utility Nav Skip to Top Nav Skip to Left Nav Skip to Content
Close Main Menu

Social Security Numbers for International Students & Scholars

In order to accept any employment, you will need to apply for a Social Security Number if you do not already have one. In order to apply you will need to complete the following steps:

  1. Confirm that you do have a job on campus. Your supervisor should make you an official offer.
  2. Print the Employment Verification Form.
  3. Have your employer/supervisor complete Section 1 of the Employment Verification Form.
  4. Make an appointment with your International Student Advisor with Section 1 of your Employment Verification Form completed. Your International Student Advisor will sign Section 2 of the form.

Once you have your completed Employment Verification Form, you will need to go to a Social Security Administration Office. The Social Security Administration requires the following items in order to apply for a Social Security Number:

  • Passport
  • Current Form I-20/DS-2019
  • Completed Employment Verification Form
  • I-94 Form or Card
  • Completed SS5 Form which is available online or at the Social Security Administration Office
    • Note: When completing the SS5 Form, if your parents do not have Social Security Numbers, leave that section blank. However, you must include your parent's names and as much of the information as possible. 
  • All documents must be original. Photocopies or notarized copies of documents will not be accepted or reviewed.
  • Suggested items for applying:
    • Proof of Residency (any documentation with you name and address such as a bill or statement)

First time applicants must go to a Social Security Office with the required documentation. Offices are walk-in only and do not have appointments. You may go to any Social Security office in the area. If you would like to find the closest office for you, use the Social Security Administration Office locator.

Once you receive your Social Security Number by mail you must complete the following tasks at UNG:

  • Go in person to the Registrars Office to update your Student Records with UNG
  • Provide a copy of your Social Security card to the Center for Global Engagement to be added to your student file

Identity Theft and Your Social Security Number

Be careful with your Social Security card and number. Show your card to your employer when you start a job so your records are correct. Provide your Social Security number to your financial institution(s) for tax reporting purposes. Keep your card and any other document that shows your Social Security number on it in a safe place. DO NOT routinely carry your card or other documents that display your number. There are numerous resources online with information and tips for keeping your identity safe and secure.

UNG follows Section 508 Standards and WCAG 2.0 for web accessibility. If you require the content on this web page in another format, please contact the ADA Coordinator.
Please note that some of the images and videos on our site may have been taken before social distancing, face coverings and restricted gatherings were required.

Back to Top