Back to Top
Skip to Site Search Skip to Utility Nav Skip to Top Nav Skip to Left Nav Skip to Content
Close Main Menu

Options for Transfer Students

Thinking of transferring to the University of North Georgia Corps of Cadets from another college or university?

This web page pertains to you if you have 30 or more transferable credit hours with a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or above. If you are a current college student with less than 30 transferable credit hours, then you qualify to apply as an incoming freshman. If you want to know whether your course work will transfer to UNG, use the Transfer Course Equivalencies report.

As a transfer student with 30 or more credit hours, you have several options as a Cadet.


Option 1 - If you are certain that you want to become an Army Officer on the day you get your bachelor's degree:

To become a second lieutenant through UNGs commissioning program, you must meet the following criteria:

  • Be a US citizen.
  • Be under 31 years of age when you graduate from UNG with your bachelor's degree.Have a minimum of 2.5 cumulative GPA from all of your college work from all colleges or universities you have attended.
  • Have no moral obligation or personal convictions that will prevent you from defending our Constitution against all enemies and carrying and using a weapon.
  • Satisfactorily explain any record of arrest and/or civil conviction.
  • Be in good physical and mental health and able to pass the Army height and weight requirements.
  • Have credit for four years of military science courses, attend the Leadership Development and Assessment Course at Ft. Lewis, Washington after you complete your junior year of college, and complete your bachelor's degree.

If you have not completed any military science courses, then you can receive credit for the military science courses that you missed in one of four ways.

  1. You attend the Leader's Training Course (LTC) at Ft. Knox, Kentucky prior to enrolling in the fall (August) courses at UNG. If you start UNG in the spring (January), you will take Military Science 1000, and then go to LTC in the summer. Those who successfully graduate from LTC may compete for an Army ROTC Scholarship that will pay for room and meals, $1,200 per year for books, and a $450 per month ROTC stipend. If you are interested in this option, please contact Greg Killeen at 706-864-1884 or email 
  2. Enlist in  the Georgia Army National Guard. This is a great way to get additional experience before you become an Army officer, and you will make enough money to pay most of your college bills. By enlisting in the Guard, you will go through Army basic and advanced individual training. The training will substitute for the first two years of military science/ROTC that you missed.
  3. Prior Service. You could receive credit for the first two years of military science/ROTC if you are a graduate of basic training and advanced individual training. Credit will be awarded at the discretion of the Professor of Military Science.
  4. JROTC. You could receive credit for the first two years of military science/ROTC if you participated in JROTC in high school.  Credit awarded will be at the discretion of the Professor of Military Science.

Option 2 - If you are not certain that you want to become an Army Officer:

You may be unsure of whether or not you want to commission as an Army officer. That's OK. You can still transfer to UNG and participate in the Corps of Cadets until you graduate with your bachelor's degree. There is no obligation to the Army if you participate in the Corps as a Cadet.

You can try it for a semester. If you like it, and you are qualified and eligible, you may sign an agreement to commission as a second lieutenant after graduation. You can also apply for an Army ROTC Scholarship which will help you pay for college.

Option 3 - If you do not want to, or cannot become an Army Officer:

We know that commissioning into the Regular Army, Army Reserve, or National Guard and serving as a lieutenant isn't for everyone. If you decide that commissioning is not for you, you can still participate in the Corps of Cadets and take advantage of the world-class leadership development and education you will receive while pursuing your bachelor's degree. You can also get a leadership minor along with your bachelor's degree, which will be a significant asset to your resume after you graduate.

You will gain advanced decision making skills, problem solving skills, time management skills, project management skills, and leadership skills as a Cadet. These are skills that employers are seeking in the world of commerce, international business, government, and non-governmental organizations.

UNG follows Section 508 Standards and WCAG 2.0 for web accessibility. If you require the content on this web page in another format, please contact the ADA Coordinator.
Please note that some of the images and videos on our site may have been taken before social distancing, face coverings and restricted gatherings were required.
Use of military-themed imagery does not constitute endorsement by the U.S. Department of Defense.

Back to Top