Back to Top
Skip to Site Search Skip to Utility Nav Skip to Top Nav Skip to Left Nav Skip to Content
Close Main Menu

Corps of Cadets Application Process

Corps of Cadets Participation Policy

The UNG Corps of Cadets is an 8-semester residential learning experience that replicates the living and learning conditions of a Federal Service Academy. Therefore, Cadets, both men and women, who enter the Corps beginning 1 August 2016 will serve under a revised Corps of Cadets Participation Policy. This policy requires all Cadets in the Corps to be enrolled as “full participants” (See Policy Letter #9), while taking a minimum of 12 hours, including one 2-hour Military Science course, in every Fall and Spring semester AND a 1-hour MILS exercise physiology course (XX05) in every Fall and Spring Semester. In some cases, Cadets may be allowed to take designated UNG leadership courses in lieu of MILS 3000,3100,4000,4100, if approved in writing by the Commandant. A formal plan of study is required. Cadets may request an exception to the participation policy and live off campus as military non-residents if they meet one of the following criteria:

  1. Reside with parents or grandparents and commute daily to/from their residence within Dawson, Lumpkin, Hall or White Counties
  2. Are married (Show marriage certificate).
  3. Are age 23 or older at time of application
  4. Have completed 2 years of honorable federal service at time of application (show DD Form 214)

Cadets who can demonstrate extreme personal hardship may request a waiver of the participation policy to become military non-residents or to leave the Corps of Cadets and become civilian students. Documentation is required. The Commandant will decide whether or not a student can change from military to civilian status and when the change will occur.

Cadets, including transfer students, who have resided in military residence halls for eight Fall or Spring semesters, may request to leave the Corps to become civilian students.

STOP OUT CLAUSE: Cadets who quit the Corps or who are administratively dismissed by the Commandant may not take courses on the Dahlonega campus for a period of one calendar year from the date of their withdrawal.

AUTHORITY: In all cases, the Commandant of Cadets has the authority to approve or disapprove requests for exception or waiver depending on the need for residential leaders in the Corps of Cadets, the mission to train “in residence” as many leaders as possible, bed space occupancy rates, caps on the number of military non-resident students, the commissioning needs of the U.S. Army (input from PMS required) or the student’s ability to meet established deadlines and/or published suspenses. “Grandfathering” students under previous policy provisions is not required.

ADMINISTRATION: Prospective Cadets should submit requests for non-resident status to the office of Cadet Admissions. Enrolled Cadets should submit requests to the Commandant. A failure to comply with the Corps Participation Policy is defined as an act of providing false or misleading information during the admissions process or when applying for an exception/waiver; or not moving into or maintaining residence in designated University housing when available; or changing status from military resident to military non-resident (or from military to civilian status) without the approval of the Commandant. SEE IMPLEMENTATION INSTRUCTIONS/SOP, dated 1 August 2016.

APPEAL: The decision of the Commandant of Cadets regarding any aspect of the Corps Participation Policy may be appealed to the VP for Student Affairs or her representative within 3 business days.

Choose Your Student Type to Start Your Corps of Cadets Journey
High School Graduating Senior
You are graduating from an accredited high school or home school program, have graduated less than 5 years ago, and have not attended college after graduation.
Home School or Unaccredited High School Graduating Senior
You are graduating from an unaccredited home school program, or an unaccredited high school, have graduated from one of these programs less than 5 years ago, and have not attended college after high school graduation.

You attended college after you graduated high school. This includes students who were enrolled at UNG; and who attended another college during their absence from UNG.

You are not a United States citizen, have not been granted resident alien status, and are seeking an F-1 or J-1 visa to attend college in the United States.
You graduated from high school five or more years ago, hold a high school diploma or GED, and have earned less than 30 transferable semester hours of college credit.

You are a previously enrolled Cadet who has been away from UNG for less than three semesters and has not attended another college during your absence.

ECP Lieutenant
You wish to transfer to the University of North Georgia from a junior military college, and have been or will be, commissioned through the Early Commissioning Program (ECP).
Dual Enrollment

You are a high school or home school student who wants to fully participate in the Corps of Cadets and take a minimum of 12 credit hours of college prior to your high school graduation.

Transitioning Students
You are a current UNG student who wants to transition into the Corps of Cadets. This does NOT include current Dual-Enrolled students.
Graduate Students
You are a current, or soon to be, graduate student at UNG.

UNG follows Section 508 Standards and WCAG 2.0 for web accessibility. If you require the content on this web page in another format, please contact the ADA Coordinator.
Please note that some of the images and videos on our site may have been taken before social distancing, face coverings and restricted gatherings were required.
Use of military-themed imagery does not constitute endorsement by the U.S. Department of Defense.

Back to Top