Back to Top
Skip to Site Search Skip to Utility Nav Skip to Top Nav Skip to Left Nav Skip to Content
Close Main Menu

Undergraduate Admissions Frequently Asked Questions

Admissions FAQs

What is lawful presence?

If you want to be classified as an in-state student for tuition purposes, you are required to provide verification of your lawful presence in the United States.

Should I apply for an associate or bachelor’s degree?

Although they both differ in regards to their level of degree, both are plausible options for students wanting to pursue higher education. Students who are interested in any of those degree options must satisfy/complete the 60 semester credit hours in the semester core curriculum areas A-E.

Individual degree programs may specify particular courses which must be taken within each area of the core curriculum. Those requirements are shown in the plan of study for each major.

Associate Degree

The associate degree is a two-year degree with a course of study in any of our associate pathways.

  • Classes can include: general core curriculum courses, electives, and some major specific courses that are required for the obtainment of that degree.
  • Associate degrees are financially cheaper, and the duration is only two years as opposed to four. An associate degree is a program that is comprised of 60 semester credit hours.
  • This type of degree can be earned on our Blue Ridge, Cumming, Gainesville and Oconee campuses.   

Bachelor's Degree

The bachelor’s degree is a four-year degree with a field of study in any of our bachelor's majors.

  • Within a bachelor degree program students are required to take general core curriculum courses, electives, and major specific courses that are required for the obtainment of that particular degree.
  • A bachelor’s degree is a program that is comprised of 120 semester credit hours.
  • This type of degree can be earned on our Dahlonega and Gainesville Campus.

How do I switch from an associate degree to a bachelor’s degree at UNG?

When you enroll at UNG, you are considered a Nighthawk whether you're in an associate degree or bachelor's degree program at any campus. Therefore, no additional application for admission is required to change degree levels.

You may earn your associate degree as you are pursuing a bachelor’s degree. This enables you to add two degrees to your résumé.

Find out more about changing your degree level..

I’m currently a dual-enrolled high school student at UNG. How do I become a freshman at UNG after I graduate from high school?

To continue at UNG after high school graduation, you must complete a Dual Enrollment Intent Form by the specified deadline date for the term and campus you wish to be considered.

You do not need to complete a new application for admission or submit an application fee.

I didn’t do very well in my first attempt at college. Is there an academic renewal process?


Academic Renewal Policy for Undergraduate Applicants 

If you're returning to UNG as an undergraduate student after being absent for at least three years from your intended date of re-enrollment, you may be eligible for academic renewal.  

If you want to transfer to UNG from another college or university, you may be eligible for academic renewal. You must have been absent for at least three years from the college or university for which you seek academic renewal. 

Rules and Eligibility 

  • You can be granted academic renewal only once. 
  • All of your previously-attempted coursework continues to be recorded on your official UNG transcript.
  • To earn a degree from UNG after being granted academic renewal, you must meet UNG's residency requirements. For an associate degree, you must complete a minimum of 15 hours in residence at the University of North Georgia. For a bachelor's degree, you must complete a minimum of 30 hours in residence at UNG, including at least 21 hours of upper division (3000 level or above) in your major field. You must also meet any additional residence requirements of your degree program. Applicability of retained credit to degree requirements will be determined by the degree requirements in effect at the time your academic renewal is approved.
  • Coursework you completed more than three years prior to the date you intend to enroll or re-enroll (first day of classes) is eligible for academic renewal.
  • Academic renewal granted by UNG will be honored at all other USG institutions and vice versa.
  • Transfer and transient credit can be granted for coursework you took during the three-year period of absence if that coursework is accepted by UNG. 

Academic Renewal GPA

  • Your academic renewal GPA will be used for determining your academic standing and eligibility for graduation.
  • Retained grades of A, B or C are not calculated in your renewal GPA, but you will receive academic credit for these courses. Since you will not receive grades for your retained courses, there may be financial aid implications, and it could affect your admission to special academic programs like nursing, athletic training or education. 
  • Courses in which you received grades of D or F must be repeated at UNG if they are required for your degree program.
  • Courses you took more recently than the three-year period of absence are ineligible for consideration for academic renewal and will be factored into your GPA.
  • Your renewal GPA starts when you resume taking coursework after your academic renewal is approved.

Applying for Academic Renewal

  • If you're not academically eligible for admission to a bachelor's degree program, you will automatically be accepted for admission to an associate degree program on our Cumming, Gainesville, or Oconee Campus (there are no associate degree programs offered on our Dahlonega Campus). 
  • You may apply for academic renewal during the admissions process. If you don't apply within one calendar year after the date you enroll or re-enroll, you will be ineligible for academic renewal.  If you decide to do academic renewal after you enroll, contact the UNG registrar.

To apply, please fill out the Application for Academic Renewal.

How do I send my high school transcripts to UNG?

You can send high school transcripts electronically through GA Futures, Parchment, E-scrip or another secure document delivery system, directly to our Admissions Imaging Center by using as the intended recipient. You could also request to have your official transcript mailed directly to UNG from your high school:

UNG Admissions Imaging Center
PO Box 1358
Gainesville, GA 30503

(You may need to contact your high school's registrar or guidance counselor to request your transcript.)

How do I request my college transcript to be sent to UNG?

You can send college transcripts electronically through Credentials, Parchment, E-scrip, National Student Clearinghouse or another secure document delivery system, directly to our Admissions Imaging Center by using as the intended recipient. You could also request to have your official transcript mailed directly to UNG from your college (There is usually a link to request transcripts on your school’s website.):

UNG Admissions Imaging Center
PO Box 1358
Gainesville, GA 30503

Department & Program FAQs

What master's degrees and graduate programs do you offer?

UNG falls in the Carnegie Foundation Master's College & Universities (Larger) category.

We offer the following graduate opportunities:

  • 13 master's degrees
  • a Doctorate of Education
  • a Doctorate in Physical Therapy
  • Graduate-level certificate programs

Learn more about Graduate Admissions at UNG.

What are the admission requirements for the Nursing Program?

UNG’s BSN program is highly competitive and only applicants that meet all requirements listed below will be reviewed. Meeting these requirements does not guarantee acceptance into the program.

Admission to the nursing program is competitive and is based on GPA and HESI score ranking.

  • Minimum GPA of 2.75 - ALL coursework attempts will be used for GPA calculations. 2.75 is the minimum GPA to apply, but will not guarantee acceptance.
  • Average GPA for the latest cohort was 3.78 and the January accepted applicant average HESI score was 89.7%.

See additional requirements for the UNG Bachelor of Science in Nursing program.

How do I apply for the Physical Therapy Program?

The University of North Georgia offers a Doctor of Physical Therapy degree. Students who successfully complete the program are eligible to sit for the national licensure examination in physical therapy. More information regarding physical therapy as a career may be obtained through the American Physical Therapy Association.

  • DPT applicants apply through Physical Therapist Centralized Application Service (PTCAS) which allows applicants to use a single, web-based application and one set of materials to apply to multiple programs.
  • PTCAS application portal opens July 3, 2019, for summer 2020 admission.
  • PTCAS is a service of the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA).

Application fee is paid to PTCAS.

What is the Summer Language Institute?

The Summer Language Institute (SLI) is for new and continuing students who wish to learn a foreign language.

The SLI is academically challenging, fun, and thoroughly rewarding. You will earn eight academic credit hours and complete the foreign language required for most bachelor’s degrees (some degrees require one or two additional semesters).

The Summer Language Institutes are carefully tailored language programs of study in Arabic, Chinese, Korean, or Russian. Activities are engaging, challenging, and fun with an emphasis on learning the language through substantial interaction between students and native-speaking faculty and assistants.

In addition to classroom instruction, you will enjoy co-curricular activities in the language. Because of their accelerated and intensive nature, the Summer Institutes are residential programs, and as such, you must live on campus for the duration of the program.

SLI students will live in the North Georgia Suites. Students must not be registered for any other courses and must not have any other commitments outside of the summer language institute.

Resident & Housing FAQs

Can I live in a residence hall on campus?

What off-campus housing is available?

  • The Office of the Dean of Students' website contains information about off-campus housing in the Cumming, Dahlonega, Gainesville and Oconee campus areas.
    • Information contained on this page was provided by area landlords interested in renting to students.
    • UNG does not recommend or endorse any particular off-campus housing options, and all rental agreements are solely the responsibility of the landlord and the student.

Testing & Courses FAQs

How do I submit my SAT or ACT scores?

You may request the College Board to send your SAT scores to account #5497, or your ACT scores to account #0848, regardless of which campus you want to attend.

Results will be sent directly to us electronically from the sending agency.
University of North Georgia
Office of Undergraduate Admission
P.O. Box 1358
Gainesville, GA 30503

What academic credit do I get for my IB or AP courses?

  • You can receive up to 45 hours of academic credit by examination for bachelor’s degree applicants of which up to 24 hours of IB credit may be awarded, and up to 30 hours for associate degree applicants.
  • You will not receive a letter grade with the academic college credit.
    • To illustrate, if you take AP Calculus AB and score a 3 or higher on the AP exam, you will be awarded credit for UNG MATH 1450. The grade you receive in your AP course will not be reflected on your college transcript, but what will be indicated is credit for MATH 1450. 

See the courses and exam scores for which we award academic credit.

What online courses are available at UNG?

There are three types of online courses:
  1. eCore
  2. Georgia ONmyLINE (GOML)
  3. UNG Online

eCore and GOML courses are taught by instructors from throughout the public university system.

UNG Online courses are taught by our own UNG instructors.

Learn more about distance education and online courses at UNG.

What are the UNG FICE, SAT, ACT, and TOEFL codes?

  • FICE Code: 001585
  • SAT Code: 5497
  • ACT Code: 0848
  • TOEFL Code: 5497

Tuition & Costs FAQs

I’m an out-of-state student. Can I get an out-of-state tuition waiver?

If you are from out of state or have not established domicile in Georgia, and you meet certain academic expectations, you may be considered for a Presidential Tuition Waiver.

This waiver is designed to attract high academic ability students from states other than Georgia to the University of North Georgia.

This waiver is based off a competitive process, and students are not guaranteed a waiver, as we have a limited amount. Be sure to check out our other out-of-state tuition waivers.

Am I classified as in-state or out-of-state for tuition purposes, and what tuition waivers are available?

Students who have been classified as out-of-state for tuition purposes and believe they are entitled to be classified as in-state for tuition purposes may appeal by filing an Application for In-state Tuition (PDF). 

Students who are lawfully present in the U.S. but are not qualified to pay in-state tuition may be eligible to pay the in-state tuition rate by means of one of the following out-of-state tuition waivers.

Students who are not lawfully present in the U.S. or whose deportation action has been deferred under DACA must pay out-of-state tuition and cannot receive a waiver.

The Board of Regents has adopted policies governing the classification of students as residents and non-residents for the purpose of payment of tuition and fees in keeping with its responsibilities to the citizens of Georgia for an appropriate assessment of fees and to ensure that out-of-state students pay a fair and reasonable share of the cost of their education.

The taxpayers of Georgia are thereby assured that they are not assuming the financial burden of educating persons whose presence in the state is not intended to be permanent.

The practice followed by state colleges and universities of assessing out-of-state students a higher tuition rate is a rational attempt by states to achieve a partial cost equalization between those who have and those who have not recently contributed to the state's economy.

The question to be answered is not primarily whether a student is a "resident" or "non-resident" of Georgia, but rather, whether the student meets the criteria to pay University System tuition and fees on an "in-state" basis. The term "resident" is confusing because it is susceptible to several meanings as it relates to voter registration, drivers' licenses, automobile registration, deeds, contracts, wills, income taxes, and other matters.

A student may be a resident of Georgia for some purposes, but not entitled to in-state status for the purpose of payment of tuition and fees.

To be considered "a resident" for the purpose of payment of tuition and fees, one must have been a bonafide legal resident of Georgia for at least 12 months preceding the date of registration.

A person's legal residence is her/his permanent dwelling place. It is the place where she/he is generally understood to reside with the intent of remaining there indefinitely and returning there when absent. T

here must be a concurrence of actual residence and of intent to remain to acquire a legal residency in order to qualify for in-state tuition.

The 12-month-residency requirement imposed by most states is considered by the courts to be a reasonable period during which the new resident can make tangible or intangible contributions to the state before being allowed the benefit of attending state colleges and universities upon the payment of in-state tuition and fees.

A student is responsible for registering under the proper tuition classification.

The responsibility for the determination of a prospective student's residency, for the purpose of paying tuition and fees, rests with the Office Undergraduate Admissions or Cadet Admissions and is based upon information provided on the application for undergraduate admission.

Applicants who have been denied in-state status for the purpose of paying tuition and fees may appeal this decision by completing an application for in-state tuition. 

Students must complete the application for in-state tuition (PDF) and submit all required documentation no later than seven working days prior to registration to be considered for in-state tuition. Students who do not submit all requested documentation will not be considered for in-state tuition classification.

Other FAQs

What career services do you offer?

UNG Career Services assists students and alumni with the career development process, including:
  • self-assessment
  • career exploration and preparation
  • career decision-making

Career Services staff advocates a comprehensive approach to career planning, starting with discovering your values, skills and interests during your freshman year and choosing your major, as well as gathering information about career choices and job trends, all the way to learning how to write a resume, making the graduate school decision, looking for your first full-time job, and more. They are here to help you every step of the way.

May I audit for no academic credit?

  • Yes. You may audit a class for no academic credit if space is available in the course you would like to audit. You will not be required to take course exams.
  • If you are applying for admission solely to audit a course (or courses), apply as a non-degree seeking student.
  • After you're accepted for admission and during the course registration period, you must inform the registrar and your course instructor that you intend to audit the course.
  • Once enrolled, you cannot change from audit status to credit status, nor can you receive retroactive academic credit.
  • If you wish to receive academic credit, you must take the course again.
  • Note that you will pay the appropriate regular course rate for tuition, fees and books.

UNG follows Section 508 Standards and WCAG 2.0 for web accessibility. If you require the content on this web page in another format, please contact the ADA Coordinator.
Please note that some of the images and videos on our site may have been taken before social distancing, face coverings and restricted gatherings were required.

Back to Top